SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Kerry made "many" Walter Reed visits as he say
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only documented visit of Kerry to a Military Hospitl (and it was not Walter Reid) was to visit a retired Army general who had suffered a Stroke.
This is the ONLY item that has been offered on any site that I can find indicating Kerry has visited the wounded, and the explanation being that it was an Army Hospital, had some Patients recuperating from wounds, so therefore he could have visited injured troops.
Wally, please provide a link for the story you are reffering to. I suspect very much it is the story I am reffering to.
larrygj
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a feeling Kerry's Walter Reed visits are right up there with his CIA magic hat and his secret missions in Cambodia ordered by a guy who hadn't become president yet and the SUV he doesn't own but does own and the fence in Israel he has been for when among Jews and against when among Arab Americans.

Kerry was pretty specific in telling Imus that, like Imus and McCain, he too had been to Walter Reed to see the same wounded "kids" they saw. Maybe he went there before he didn't go there.

I'll wager that among the medical records Traitor John doesn't want us to see are a number of visits he made to the psych ward to deal with his sleepwalking, imagined enemy fire, Cambodia visions, and all the other hallucinations that are seared, seared in his memory, including the illusion that he could lead this country.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the link listed above and got this. It is from the Boston Globe so it is suspect, as it Kerry's alleged refusal to include the press. The Walter Reed reference is at the end, if you don't want to wade through all the Kerry droppings and "quotes" from the specially selected vets.

Boston.com Article

Quote:
Kerry questions Bush's wartime moral authority
Says Democrats would have been tough on Cheney

By Raja Mishra, Globe Staff | May 2, 2004

ST. LOUIS -- John F. Kerry walked into a diner here yesterday morning for a breakfast with fellow veterans, old soldiers gathered for a quiet discussion of war, death, and suffering on a day charged with political significance.

He sought a low profile, but in a rare, unscripted conversation with those gathered, the Massachusetts senator questioned President Bush's wartime moral authority, suggested that Vice President Dick Cheney would face harsher scrutiny for potential war-profiteering if Democrats were in control of Congress, and vented about the tone of the presidential race.

And all that was before he finished his pancakes.

One year ago yesterday, Bush, standing on an aircraft carrier in a flight suit, proclaimed "Mission accomplished" in Iraq. Some Americans watching saw a heroic leader; others saw a politician cloaking himself in the trappings of war despite never having seen combat. Kerry ridiculed the event repeatedly during the Democratic primaries, but has largely refrained from commenting on it since then.

However, the anniversary was clearly on the menu at breakfast yesterday, as Kerry ate with 16 former soldiers contacted by Missouri Veterans for Kerry. Kerry can often appear stiff or dull in public settings, but veterans frequently bring out his more dynamic and emotive side. During the primaries, medal-wearing veterans often surrounded Kerry at events. And the general campaign, already dominated by an intensely personal debate over war, promises more of the same.

Fields Black, 33, a Persian Gulf veteran breathing through an oxygen tube because of his emphysema, lambasted Bush yesterday: "You land on the aircraft carrier, strutting your stuff, and I have a hard time walking. How dare you? That's how I look at the president. How dare you. . . .

"It amazes me how he does it with a smile, too."

Another veteran at the table remarked, "I think the American people should say something in November."

"Well, that's what this is about, my friend," said Kerry of the election.

In recent days, despite withering attacks from the White House, Kerry has tried to maintain a statesman's tone in responding. But with Iraq dominating the headlines, he has struggled to sharply distinguish his position on the war -- supporting the invasion overall but critical of Bush's diplomacy and postwar planning -- from Bush's.

Repps Hudson, a Vietnam veteran with a Purple Heart and two Bronze Stars, contended that Kerry had spent too much time on the defensive.

"I think we're pushing back," Kerry said. "You know, the media like a conflict, so they take it. But the fact is, I think they come out looking silly."

Then, he lit into the unexplained attendance gaps in Bush's stateside service in the Air National Guard during the Vietnam War.

'I mean, the guy can't answer where he was, when he served."

But Hudson persisted: "You think you might start pushing back?"

"I think we're doing it right now," Kerry responded, appearing irritated.

"We've had to be out raising money, got to do a lot of stuff. It takes time. . . . Listen, man, I don't know if you saw the polls, but we're in good shape. We're just plugging away. Americans aren't listening to all that junk."

Kerry was also asked about Halliburton, a company Cheney once led that is accused of war-profiteering. Kerry contended that not enough attention had been drawn to the allegations.

"The problem is that we don't have the Senate, we don't have the House. We can't make something happen because they have the ability and the control to set the congressional agenda and they have the White House," Kerry said. "So that's what this battle is about, folks."

Before breakfast ended, Black began coughing and gasping for breath. Kerry looked concerned. "You OK, man?" he asked. Black nodded yes, but continued coughing.

Kerry told his staff to take down Black's contact information and ensure he received adequate care.

Around noon, Kerry flew to Washington, D.C., visiting for more than an hour with wounded soldiers from the current Iraq conflict recuperating at Walter Reed Medical Center. Asked whether reporters could join him, he said: "No cameras, no crews . . . It's not an official visit. It's just a personal thing."

Raja Mishra can be reached at rmishra@globe.com.

Of course, he brought the press there, and told them, so it couldn't be all that "private." Otherwise, it wouldn't be in this article.

I bet he gets his Botox injections there.
larrygj
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb325th:
Quote:
The only documented visit of Kerry to a Military Hospitl (and it was not Walter Reid) was to visit a retired Army general who had suffered a Stroke.

I think you nailed it. The post wasn't 5/4/04, but most likely 9/5/04, from
http://www.dailypundit.com/archives/015141.php:

Here's the thread, unedited:
Quote:
September 05, 2004

What Hospital? When? Where? Who?

Has anybody figured out when and where Kerry supposedly visited veterans of the Iraqi War "the other day?"

I still can't find anything. Is this another Kerry lie, or did he actually do what he said?

Would it be too much to ask some of the unpaid Kerry flacks in the media to pretend they are real journalists for a while and maybe ask some questions of the Great Man himself about this?

UPDATE: This is from the text of the Springfield speech printed by the Dayton Daily News:

Our soldiers are doing an extraordinary job. These are the best and the brightest, the most remarkable people in the military that I've ever seen. I visited a hospital the other day, I met a couple of young soldiers who'd been wounded [oh yeah? Has Walter Reed Army Hospital been moved to Ohio? -- Larry]I've never seen spirit like that. They're amazing.
I'll give the national Kerry campaign a call tomorrow (Labor Day) and see if they can fill in the blanks.

Posted by The Daily Pundit at September 05, 2004 09:58 PM

Comments

It?s midnight?.is your child on the Internet? Click Here for free 14 day trial of ContentProtect Home Suite.

JF'nK: "I will not have people questioning whether I visited wounded soldiers or met with foreign leaders, even if I can't recall any names, places, or dates..."

Posted by: Frank G on September 6, 2004 06:33 AM | Link

OK, going back to the first person to ask the question, this is from Slings 'n Arrows...

"Fellow blogger Marybeth has found something pretty much gets Kerry off the hook:

Following the rally, Kerry visited former Joint Chiefs of Staff (website - news) chairman John Shalikashvili, who suffered a stroke shortly after the Democratic convention and is in a hospital in Fort Lewis, Wash. The retired Army general, an adviser to the Kerry campaign, had endorsed the candidate at the convention.

This pretty much fulfills the requirements. It is a recent visit to a military hospital and although it doesn't specifically say he visited any soldiers from Iraq or Afghanistan, one can reasonably argue that he talked to at least one while there."

---

Now, FAR be it from me to disourage you from calling the campaign or pursuing this. My guess is that this just BARELY covers Kerry's butt, but it is would you would likely hear in response. I'd love to hear a soldier come out and say "Yes, I talked with Kerry that day" to beleive it actually happened. But I guessing this is Kerry's cover, and it will likely stick. This might be a dry hole.

That's fine. Plenty of other rich veins to tap.

Posted by: Andrew X on September 6, 2004 08:46 AM | Link
I wonder if this might be like the Burger King visit. Perhaps he actually did visit a hospital, but perhaps he was not greeted well by the soldiers being treated there. Perhaps the Kerry campaign doesn't want to see the front pages full of interviews with wounded soldiers talking about how much they dislike Kerry.

Posted by: Steven Den Beste on September 6, 2004 09:36 AM | Link

Anybody else smell a rat here? This is a guy who just has to stretch the truth or make up stuff to buddy up with whomever he's talking to. My read on this: Kerry didn't want to appear to be one-upped by Imus and McCain by not having gone to Walter Reed for the sole purpose of seeing the Iraq wounded; so he takes his "fly-by" look at some of the wounded while visiting Gen. Shalikashvili (if he even did that) in Ohio and bootstraps that into the experience Imus and McCain had at Walter Reed, located in the D.C. area. Another "Cambodia moment" for J. "Fantasyland" K.

I hope the blogs and Hannity and Brit etc. (fill in the blanks for all the good guys) pick up on this and show again what a miserable fraud Kerry is.

Larry
larrygj
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimsdale:

Quote:
Around noon, Kerry flew to Washington, D.C., visiting for more than an hour with wounded soldiers from the current Iraq conflict recuperating at Walter Reed Medical Center. Asked whether reporters could join him, he said: "No cameras, no crews . . . It's not an official visit. It's just a personal thing."

OK, good find, and I stand corrected. Good thing I'm not Dan Rather, or I would have had the wrong story all over CBS News by now.

I admit my mistake and will have to eat some crow on this one. If Kerry did what he said and kept the media out of it, then for the first time in this election campaign I gotta say that he did the right thing.

Larry
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, we don't know if he visited any wounded soldiers or was getting some "rash" attended to.

Maybe he was there for a followup "shortarm" inspection.

At any rate, that was the only documented visit to Walter Reed that I hit on, so Kerry's claims of "many" visits is probably bogus, at least for this year.

Which brings me to this:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:qVHv2nnb6mMJ:slingsnarrows.erudite-absurdity.com/archive/002433.html+john+kerry+walter+reed&hl=en

Quote:
September 04, 2004
A Blog Fact-Finding Mission

A Retired U.S. Marine sent me this, and we now have an assignment:

I watched Fox well into the night following last night’s acceptance speech and convention closing. At a certain point Fox played a bit from Kerry’s Springfield Ohio speech. I distinctly heard him refer to his recent visits to hospitals to see and talk to wounded veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan. It seemed off the cuff and a direct rebuttal to the best parts of Bush’s speech where the Pres got emotional (and I got emotional with him).

Something about Kerry’s ‘hospitals’ comment struck me as contrived. At first it was, naw, even he wouldn’t politicize that. Then I wondered why I hadn’t heard about this before, neither from his good-news starved staff nor from the biased MSM. Perhaps he does have some class and has chosen not to publicize these visits just as W does it in a very low key and respectful manner. Hunh?! This is John F. Kerry. Exploiting our folks in uniform for political gain is something he learned a long time ago -- and has practiced with impunity ever since.

So then I tried to picture the event. Kinda like Kerry at the VFW or Kerry at the American Legion, or God help us, Kerry at a US messhall in Iraq. It just wouldn’t go down well. Some soldier or Marine would not play the part for him. It struck me, it strikes me, that he made it up. Not even he would be stupid enough to be confronted by a wounded warrior angry at his presence.

I’ve since checked the www.johnkerry.com website and read the text of his speech. No such off the cuff remark. Could it be that he indeed plugged it in on the fly to show he can relate to wounded troops just like the Pres? And could it be that his staff is content to have a sanitized version of the speech on the internet to avoid the scrutiny that I am now giving the remark?

I believe the answer to both questions is ‘yes’. Kerry invented a reference to visiting wounded troops recently, and only a filmed version of his Springfield OH rant will reveal the ‘smoking gun’. Does John Kerry have the temerity, the BACKBONE, to engage a wounded vet of the Global War on terror? Easy one: NO WAY! Would he invent that he has visited them (plural) recently in order to rebut W’s heartrending comments of just an hour or so before? You betcha!

You guys are the pros. I can’t probe Lexis Nexus or whatever… Fox won’t screen the whopper for me to view it again for myself. I honestly think that there is another Kerry tall tale waiting to be exposed. I hope you can run it down.

Are Kerry's hospital visits the same as his visits from foreign leaders? If you find anything on this email me.

Stay tuned here.

Update: Our marine friend was not hearing things:

Our soldiers are doing an extraordinary job. These are the best and the brightest, the most remarkable people in the military that I've ever seen. I visited a hospital the other day, I met a couple of young soldiers who'd been wounded, I've never seen spirit like that. They're amazing.

Now, can anyone find a media report that details whether such a visit was actually made? So far, I cannot find a single account of Kerry visiting a hospital, let alone talking to wounded vets. A reader emails that I am not alone in coming up goose-eggs:

I took you up on the information search, and I have determined that it's impossible for it to have been within the last month and a half if it ever happened. He was in the US campaigning that entire time, and I have articles from every day for the past month and a half tracking him across the country.

One would think if he visited vets in a hospital it would have made the news. So far, nada.

Update II: I have spent quite some time searching through every reference to Iraq and hospital on JohnKerry.com. There are plenty to go through and I am human so it is possible I have missed something. Barring that, there is not a single reference on Kerry's own website that details a recent visit to injured vets.

On the other hand, there is not a single reference detailing that he did not rob a bank either. In other words, just because it is not specifically mentioned anywhere does not mean it did not happen (the hospital visit, that is -- I am sure Kerry has not robbed any banks).
Posted by Bryon at September 4, 2004 10:32 AM | TrackBack
Comments

"I visited a hospital the other day, I met a couple of young soldiers who'd been wounded..."

My God. Surely, not even Kerry would lie about this. I'd like to think he had the grace to visit some wounded vets w/o publicizing it (Bush has made dozens of unpublicized visits to Walter Reed).

I'm starting to feel a twinge of pity for this sad fraud of a man. For his sake, I hope he didn't just say something expedient about wounded troops: it could literally be the end of his campaign.
Posted by: Jumbo at September 4, 2004 02:11 PM

...a sad twinge of pity...

Are you saying he's going for the sympathy vote?
Posted by: Bryon at September 4, 2004 02:30 PM

I guess we aren't the only ones looking at this, and everyone is coming up pretty light on alleged visits.
poseidon
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie wrote:
wow, once?

does anyone get to hear Howie Carr? does he get into this stuff on Kerry?

I'd think that'd be a biiiiggg help .... coming from his home state.....

Howie rips Kerry with every chance he gets and has for years

I think that this is the link for Howie Live
on the internet from 15:00 -> 19:00 EST

Check out his Kerry Corner here
LeastofThese
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he did go without any press or cameras. Think about it... what kind of reception do you think he would have gotten from the majority of those guys?! I can hear it now: "A young soldier, seriously wounded in Iraq, listens as Mr. Kerry justifies voting against funds to provide him with needed body armour by saying 'I actually did vote for the $87 million.....' Film at 11."
Skypilot
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't there be a public visitor log? Would this be another great topic for the talking heads to put out there about Kerry's truthfulness? I think this would be a perfect fit for Rush's show to pick this apart if it is true. This would certainly cement the veterans and active duty people against him if he is making half cocked statements about caring about the wounded for political gain. This could possibly be very important concept to stress. It would be nice if the talking heads led forward and researched this angle. They may have a better chance of obtaining records.
Please Mr. Kerry Sign Form #180 Now!
Let the truth set you free? NOT!
Dingbat
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Ward 57 Walter Reed Reply with quote

My wife was in Ward 57 (the orthopedic ward) for a week last year. This is where the young soldiers (not kids Evil or Very Mad ) who have lost limbs recover. It was an amazing week for this old soldier. I took the opportunity to talk to as many of them as I could to get the real story about Iraq and Afghanistan. Short answer was they all believed in what we were doing and only regretted not being with their buddies. These were E-2's to O-3's. What an inspiration they were...no self pity when they were certainly so justified. One day I was chatting with one of the staff and he looked past me and said "here comes Big Don". Sure enough it was Secretary Rumsfeld with only 1 security guy and the hospital CSM...no one else. He went into each soldier's room, 1 on 1, and talked to each soldier for a long time. The Ward 57 staff said this happens all the time, including with the President. The staff just keeps doing what they were doing and does not create a scene. So, I doubt that there is a log of who attended. A funny thing is that one person who came by DID create a buzz: Arnold the Gov spent a long time there and had the nurses all looking (the comments were: "he's short".
PS: a frustrating thing was that I could not buy most of these soldiers a beer at the club...they were too young! Now there's something wrong when they are alledgedly not responsible enough to drink yet they are empowered to weild massive firepower and lose limbs!
Steve

1/101st ABN Song Be 3/82d ABN Phu Bai.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will shut Imus' noise hole whenever he starts spouting that "Cheney and Rumsfeld need to go down to Walter Reed" rant.

Can you ask your wife how many times "Kreepy Kerry" came around?
wally626
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the hit and run with no reference, below is the quote I referenced. I was on someone elses machine and just had a second or two to post.
Quote:
To: Dog

I found a reference to Kerry visiting wounded soldiers at Walter Reed, on May 5, 2004. The day began with him meeting some apparently disgruntled veterans of past wars in St. Louis, Mo. Senator Kerry is quoted as talking with them with 1960s era hippie speak, as in "man, this," and "man, that." Afterword, he is said to have flown to Washington, DC, to stop at Walter Reed for about an hour. No reporters were present.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/05/02/kerry_questions_bushs_wartime_moral_authority/

36 posted on 09/04/2004 5:50:29 PM PDT by Redmen4ever

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1207556/posts
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if during his visit, the sight of our wounded soldiers was seared, seared into his memory? Twisted Evil
John Gault
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Uh.... IIRC the VA does not allow reporters and cameras to follow political figures on tours. Offical visit or not. Once again trying to take credit for something he has nothing to do with.
The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. Whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles. _ Ayn Rand
BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there is a media liason officer at the hospital that could clear things up. I visited the web site but the phone directory was down.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"
Capt. Lloyd Williams, USMC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: