SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bay Hap questions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already looked at the other sites prior to arriving here and I knew of wintersoldier.com from O'Neill's book. I came here because there is no place to write to O'Neill directly and ask a question and this site has an actual forum to ask questions, which is helpful.

The idea that someone has a different political view point than yours and is "liberal," is not relevant to me; in fact often the so-called "liberal" media is accused of being ultra-conservative, depending on the issue, particularly when they criticized the Clinton admin when it was in power.

There are many veterans who disagree with SBVfT, including Democrat veterans, like four my friend who sent me the chart link has in her immediate family in different branches of the service who she said didn't think much of the accusations made in the book and the advertisements (at least one of those veterans in her family has read the book and discussed it with her). Unfortunately some of the websites up in favor of the swiftvets use a lot of shrill, hysteria-oriented rhetoric about "unAmerican" activities and so forth that isn't persuasive to people who aren't all ultra-conservative. The facts need to rise above political persuasions. Whether someone is a veteran or not, this doesn't mean they are an ultimate source of information, and no, I don't just go on some numeric count of who to believe. I go on the facts and how well they are cited and substantiated, and that is what O'Neill has on his side as a former debate team member and many years as a lawyer. He did include many cites. One thing I wish he'd done is include page numbers of some articles where he just gave the date, but he did a fair job in general. There are some places where he didn't source his statements and those are situations that invite questions.

The issue is not about just "believing" someone blindly because because they are in the military. I have many military friends and tons of family members who are war veterans from a previous war. There is more to citing accurate info than just pointing to one's veteran background, and O'Neill realizes this and does a pretty good job when he is the one answering the questions. He's not here to answer mine, so I do thank those who tried to answer me.

thanks again.

Last edited by Mary on Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary; Have you read Mr. Elliott's affadavit? He did not contradict himself, he contradicted what was depicted in the article. I believe he even filed a clarification affadavit addressing that specific issue.

Your question #1 - I suggest you look at the after action reports and the research done here by NavyChief. You'll find these by doing a forum search. To summarize it, the holes were received in an earlier engagement. If you are as honest in your search as you state, you'll find the commentary enlightening as to why there are only three bullet holes in one boat despite traveling "5000 meters in a hail of fire".

Mr. O'Neill addressed the issues in your question #2 quite recently in California. Unlike Mr. Kerry, his shipmates stood up for him when he was falsely accused of war crimes, specifically shooting that one, lone, wounded, presumed VC. If you read closely, Mr. Elliot, whose quote is used, says the UNIT served with honor. The ommission after noting Kerry's courage is quite damning in my opinion. If you look over the transcripts of that incident you'll see they defended the one point but not the overall service of Kerry.

Re; 1st PH: Even Kerry's own journal notes there was no "heat of battle" on the night he caught the shrapnel.(See Tour of Duty) What you should be questioning is WHY the award wasn't sought until after the participants had left and WHY it was submitted at all. I suggest you simply find any Vet or active duty member and ask them who they see first on entering sickbay and who usually treats them.

Your posts refer in several places to a NYT chart of connections which have been dismissed on virtually a point by point basis. Again, I feel your are simply posing that question to incite a heated debate because you've failed to continue the research that would have quickly found the following:

MoveOn.org <---> John Kerry and
<-----> Jane Fonda

Yes, a two way connection that dates back years. If you doubt my word, simply do a search on their site. You'll even find a letter from Kerry to the site encouraging their members. (Unless they've pulled it by now)

Please, do continue your questions. While not thought provoking they are enjoyable to answer since they are so easy to do so. They also provide a very good venue to summarize the research that is noted throughout this forum.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bo Hap questions? Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NavyChief on Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately some of the websites up in favor of the swiftvets use a lot of shrill, hysteria-oriented rhetoric about "unAmerican" activities and so forth that isn't persuasive to people who aren't all ultra-conservative.

Apparently, you haven't visited ** Wink

Quote:
The facts need to rise above political persuasions. Whether someone is a veteran or not, this doesn't mean they are an ultimate source of information, and no, I don't just go on some numeric count of who to believe.

Who else but veterans can cite facts they observed and know, Mary? When dealing with eye witness accounts that differ, numeric counts indeed do come into play. However, if you feel they aren't that relevant, may I direct you to Steve Gardner, the one crewmember who served longer with Kerry than those who now support him? Of course, he too is smeared by the Kerry camp.

Again, I see inconsistencies in this. Six or Seven former crewmembers support him and over 200 that served alongside him don't, but they aren't reliable, numbers don't count. Steve Gardner, who served longer with him than any of the 6 or 7, doesn't support him, but he can't be believed since he is only one man and is outnumbered.

Quote:
There is more to citing accurate info than just pointing to one's veteran background

It's sad that John Kerry isn't held to this same standard. He has yet to clear up any claim made against his actions, either in Vietnam or with the VVAW.
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoophyDog wrote:
Mary; Have you read Mr. Elliott's affadavit? He did not contradict himself, he contradicted was was depicted in the article. I believe he even filed a clarification affadavit addressing that specific issue.

I mentioned a URL that does mention his second affidavit. The two URLs I asked about that mentioned the supposed contradictions are what I was asking about -- I never said I assumed they answered everything. I said I was confused about the info in the two articles about Elliott. I'd be very interested to see any and all of the affidavits; The later affidavit is quoted from in one of the online articles I mentioned.

Quote:

Your question #1 - I suggest you look at the after action reports and the research done here by NavyChief. You'll find these by doing a forum search. To summarize it, the holes were received in an earlier engagement. If you are as honest in your search as you state, you'll find the commentary enlightening as to why there are only three bullet holes in one boat despite traveling "5000 meters in a hail of fire".

I'll look for info by NavyChief, but I did already read somewhere about the "5,000 meters in a hail of fire" numerous places, including probably Unfit For Command; some of these point out that was longer than some battlefields in the Civil War. My point was that the comments you refer to were I thought referring to bullet holes in Kerry's own boat, at least in the book, and the NYT chart is referring to bullet holes in a different boat.

I don't know why you make comments about my "honesty" of my questions. I told you I already read the book and I've cited pages from it in different posts. I posted in the thread that listed full transcripts before I asked any questions here so you are wrong to make a personal comment about me just because I'm trying to wade through info and answer friends who dismiss the book. I got the book a week or so ago after hearing about it and told people it had affected my view of Kerry's honesty, and then I started getting replies from friends who didn't think much of the group and pointed me to articles online criticizing it.

Quote:

Mr. O'Neill addressed the issues in your question #2 quite recently in California. Unlike Mr. Kerry, his shipmates stood up for him when he was falsely accused of war crimes, specifically shooting that one, lone, wounded, presumed VC. If you read closely, Mr. Elliot, whose quote is used, says the UNIT served with honor. The ommission after noting Kerry's courage is quite damning in my opinion. If you look over the transcripts of that incident you'll see they defended the one point but not the overall service of Kerry.

Re; 1st PH: Even Kerry's own journal notes there was no "heat of battle" on the night he caught the shrapnel.(See Tour of Duty) What you should be questioning is WHY the award wasn't sought until after the participants had left and WHY it was submitted at all. I suggest you simply find any Vet or active duty member and ask them who they see first on entering sickbay and who usually treats them.

The veteran uncle of my friend, who served in Vietnam in army intelligence, told her that Purple Hearts were awarded for wounds like Kerry's a lot of times and that the person didn't put in for the medals themselves and that he didn't believe the accusations about Kerry. Not all veterans agree with the comments in the book, so I'm not sure that asking any Vet these things will result in unanimous answers.

However, I personally do not go on what that vet said and am more interested in O'Neill's arguments, which i find well-stated, than those of my friend's uncle, who was sickened by the book and the ads.

Quote:

Your posts refer in several places to a NYT chart of connections which have been dismissed on virtually a point by point basis. Again, I feel your are simply posing that question to incite a heated debate because you've failed to continue the research that would have quickly found the following:

I don't see any heated debate here, just me asking a question. I've only been here one day and I am sorry I haven't memorized all the posts, but as for your comments about "dismissing" the chart, one can dismiss it all you like but the friends who sent me the link to it today obviously don't find it something to dismiss and it's them I'm trying to explain things to from answers I get here and other info.. If O'Neill were shown the chart, he would not answer it with comments dismissing it but would address each item thoroughly because he was on a debate team and doesn't take questions personally.

Quote:

MoveOn.org <---> John Kerry and
<-----> Jane Fonda

Yes, a two way connection that dates back years. If you doubt my word, simply do a search on their site. You'll even find a letter from Kerry to the site encouraging their members. (Unless they've pulled it by now)

Please, do continue your questions. While not thought provoking they are enjoyable to answer since they are so easy to do so. They also provide a very good venue to summarize the research that is noted throughout this forum.

I'm not doubting you about moveon.org being a biased place for info. You don't see me posting these questions to them, do you? My friend who sent me the link to the chart may have gotten her information from places similar perhaps to that (Democracy Now radio is something she listens to a lot and their democracynow.org site reminds me of moveon.org), but I don't go there for my info. I'm not clear what you mean about Jane Fonda and moveon.org. The moveon.org site doesn't have a search engine. When I do a Yahoo search on the moveon.org and Jane Fonda, I mostly find links to ultra-conservative people smearing her for having been against the Vietnam war and that's not very interesting or persuasive.

As for insulting me about my questions not being thought-provoking, I don't see the point of that other than your being annoyed because I came in here and asked questions; basically you're accusing me of being a troll because you don't like the questions. I'm not a troll looking for people to holler. I asked a couple of things and if people have an answer, they can answer; if they don't have time to answer, I have already been told how to search here so I don't see the big deal and why it's so disturbing to you that a non-conservative might be interested in O'Neill's book.

Surely we don't all have to be conservative or Republican to find O'Neill's comments of interest. Not even O'Neill is a republican. I'm sure O'Neill wanted to communicate his info to more people than just Republicans and never intended to just preach to the choir that already dislikes Kerry. Rather than take offense at someone trying to learn about the facts who may not share some of your political ideas, anyone can ignore a post he doesn't feel like answering. And I will try to use the search engine more here.

And yes, I do think it helps summarize information for people to answer questions and that this is useful for everyone. If they was no question about the info, there wouldn't have been so much on the internet challenging the book when I do Yahoo searches looking for info. Summarizing the info again helps address people who understandably are confused after looking at all the online stuff about this.

Last edited by Mary on Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bo Hap questions? Reply with quote

To Navy Chief --

Looks like I need to do some reading about PCF 51. Thanks, NavyChief. Sounds like the new articles you mention are coming out will be interesting.

Last edited by Mary on Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My appologies Mary. I misspoke should have said diligent.

I did not say any Vet would agree, I said ask a Vet or active duty who they see first in sickbay and who usually treats them.

A heated debate does not necessarily involve a "holler"ing match, simply a highly polarized discussion between two opposing views.

I was surprised that the search option is now missing. I'm sure I saw it about three months ago. In any case, you can find some info here

I meant no insult whatsoever and if taken that way I again appologize. All of the questions you posed have been answered throughout this forum so surely you agree that they do not provoke more thought. As I stated, your questions offer an excellent venue to summarize.

Edited: I will take the personal tagging as an ultra-conservative to PM as I don't believe it has any bearing on this discussion area.
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately some of the websites up in favor of the swiftvets use a lot of shrill, hysteria-oriented rhetoric about "unAmerican" activities and so forth that isn't persuasive to people who aren't all ultra-conservative.

Apparently, you haven't visited ** Wink

I mentioned that moveon.org and democracynow.org etc. were biased, so please do understand that I am not saying that only conservative sites are biased or shrill. Smile I agree with you that some of my friends who sent me the links are inconsistent in not seeing the bias of the sources that influence them but I still want to look up the information in those sites and refute any if the info is on O'Neill's side, and I'm very interested in what NavyChief has said in his post too indicating an upcoming article.

Quote:

Who else but veterans can cite facts they observed and know, Mary? When dealing with eye witness accounts that differ, numeric counts indeed do come into play. However, if you feel they aren't that relevant, may I direct you to Steve Gardner, the one crewmember who served longer with Kerry than those who now support him? Of course, he too is smeared by the Kerry camp.

Again, I see inconsistencies in this. Six or Seven former crewmembers support him and over 200 that served alongside him don't, but they aren't reliable, numbers don't count. Steve Gardner, who served longer with him than any of the 6 or 7, doesn't support him, but he can't be believed since he is only one man and is outnumbered.

Of course Gardner's comments are of interest to me. I have read everything he has said both in the book and the transcripts thread here with interest. I didn't say the comments by the veterans who served on the boats and the OinC's who disagree with Kerry are not relevant. I was referring to people who are veterans but who were not actually serving alongside Kerry or alongside O'Neill at that time and comment as experts that I should listen to at face value just because they're veterans; that's what I had thought you meant regarding answers from just any Vet being authoritative. Similarly, I know several veterans myself who disagree with O'Neill but those people are not people I listen to as authoritative since they weren't there in the same unit with Kerry and O'Neill at that time. I'm not meaning to antagonize anyone with my questions..

Quote:

It's sad that John Kerry isn't held to this same standard. He has yet to clear up any claim made against his actions, either in Vietnam or with the VVAW.

One of my first questions on the site was about when it is that the Standard Form 180 is normally filled out and why it is people would sometimes not want to fill it out, since few people apparently do, including the swiftboat vets. I wrote CNN a question recently asking why they don't question Kerry not having released all his records when the Pentagon is having to release all of Bush's. I'm curious what other reasons besides the complaint that Kerry is hiding something might be behind his not having filled out this form and why other vets don't fill it out either.

Last edited by Mary on Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoophyDog wrote:
My appologies Mary. I misspoke should have said diligent.

I did not say any Vet would agree, I said ask a Vet or active duty who they see first in sickbay and who usually treats them.

Well, I'd be interested to learn that from any Vietnam veteran, including any here, and I'll try to ask some veterans via email.

Quote:
A heated debate does not necessarily involve a "holler"ing match, simply a highly polarized discussion between two opposing views.

I'm not of an opposing view however just because I asked a question. I wouldn't have read the whole book or any of it, had I not found it to have some persuasive information in it.

Quote:
I was surprised that the search option is now missing. I'm sure I saw it about three months ago. In any case, you can find some info here

While I saw no mention to Jane Fonda on that page, I don't even need to read it to know that moveon.org is surely affiliated with the Kerry campaign. I'll bookmark the page and look at it, thanks.

Quote:
I meant no insult whatsoever and if taken that way I again appologize. All of the questions you posed have been answered throughout this forum so surely you agree that they do not provoke more thought. As I stated, your questions offer an excellent venue to summarize.

Edited: I will take the personal tagging as an ultra-conservative to PM as I don't believe it has any bearing on this discussion area.

I'm sorry if my use of the word "conservative" was offensive. I meant to imply that we shouldn't need to all have the same political view to be interested in O'Neill's work, but I wrote it poorly.

I think threads like the ones where I ask questions may be of interest to people new to the site who are democrats who are trying to make up their minds about things they've read about the book. I think it's a good thing to have threads like these from time to time even if it might be boring to those who aren't new to this forum. And thanks for having replied. * Oh, and I just now was looking through the sticky'ed faq threads called "PLEASE HELP CREATE A KERRY MYTH-BUSTER FAQ" & "Consolidation of Resources - Best Links Here" and I think those are very interesting threads.
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bo Hap questions? Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:

Answer 1:
WHY PCF-51 WAS ALREADY DAMAGED

Wow, I just now realized that was a link to a very detailed post by you from the past and not a statement by you for me to do a search for more info on. Thanks!

I had just finished doing a search on posts and also was just now reading accounts online, such as Dobbs' article at this link, which states:

Quote:
A report on "battle damage" to Thurlow's boat mentions "three 30 cal bullet holes about super structure." According to Thurlow, at least one of the bullet holes was the result of action the previous day, when he ran into another Vietcong ambush.

Your comments in your answer to me (WHY PCF-51 WAS ALREADY DAMAGED) as well as your letter here in reply to Dobbs' article are very detailed, helpful and interesting.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bo Hap questions? Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NavyChief on Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
RiflemanDD730
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Bo Hap questions? Reply with quote

Mary, reading your posts shows that you are honestly seeking the truth. Your questions are detailed and the truth is in the details so your persistence is well founded. Sometimes I find it helpful get an overview of a subject. Focusing only on documentation and not conflicting opinions, I listed John Kerry’s positions to determine his credibility. This was not done to discredit him but to show to some media outlets that the SBVT deserved a hearing and should not be summarily dismissed as liars while Kerry is automatically accepted as truthful.

1) Christmas in Cambodia......... Kerry made this claim first in a 1979 film review for the Boston Herald. In 1986 as a Senator in a debate on foreign policy, he put his personal integrity on the line calling for the President of the US (Reagan) not to lie to the public as President Johnson had done but to believe him when he said he was in Cambodia. As you know, he said this was “seared” in his memory. This claim was made to the media in 1992 and1994 and to the Senate again in 1997. An affidavit by Steven Gardner forced Kerry to admit its fraudulence.

2) Alston wounded on Kerry’s boat...... Kerry’s website described David Alston as being on Kerry’s boat and part of Kerry’s crew when he was wounded. A complaint made by Tedd Peck, the actual boat commander at the time, forced Kerry to remove this claim from their website along with 20 other pages as reported in the Boston Globe in late April.

3) First Purple Heart.......... No casualty report or after action report exist to justify this award as required.

4) Bronze Star rescue.........Kerry’s account of a rapid return (the man was in sight) to pick up a passenger that had fallen overboard is contradicted by the after action report that states that hostile fire existed for 5000 meters (3 miles). At top speed the round trip would take at least 10 minutes. That means that all 5 boats would have been taking fire for the full 10 minutes before Kerry could pick up the passenger “under fire”. The rapid turnaround vs 3miles is the contradiction but the idea that 5 boats were taking fire for 10 minutes in a narrow channel and getting no bullet holes defies logic to the extreme.

5) Murdering US Senators............. After Vietnam, Kerry denied that he had been at a meeting in Kansas City when fellow protesters voted on a plan to assassinate pro war Senators. FBI documents released this year show that he was there. Kerry now says he can’t remember voting on murder.

6) Military record release............. Kerry said he released his records to Tim Russert, Chris Mathews, and Don Imus. The Navy just recently announced that he did not. He has not processed SF 180 that would authorize the release.

As you can see Kerry has a serious problem with the truth. These items refer to documents, public statements that are documented or lack of required documents. No conflicting opinions. This analysis told me that the SBVT deserve a chance to make their case against a man with this pattern of fraudulence.

[/b]
Mary
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bo Hap questions? Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:

What the media failed to show in this article was that the "bullet holes" in Thurlow's boat (PCF-51) were actually three .30 cal holes. All the Kerryites and media jumped on this to say that there was firing on 13 March 1969 and Thurlow's boat was hit three times. They say that proves it. Problem is: .30 cal bullets were from a machine gun -- NOT sniper fire. Of course, the media doesn't understand the difference nor do the Kerryites. Reading COMNAVFORV files on the incident clearly states the boats from 12 March were under water mine and automatic machine gun fire. In fact, Rood caught shrapnel in his eye that day -- it was a bad fight for those boats. However, the boats weren't anywhere near their repair base so they couldn't have anyone look at their boats and send the damage reports until 14 March when they returned to An Thoi. The damage report included damage from 12 and 13 March. Much of the media tried to use the damage as proof that Kerry's boat had hit a mine, or close aboard -- and that is correct, except that happened on the 12th of March. It is very possible Kerry's crew wasn't even involved on the 12th because each boat had a minimum 1.5 crew complement. These guys had to take a break every once in awhile, but normally the boats were good to go, so they would load up relief crews. Joe Muharsky points this out as a member of Kerry's relieve crew for PCF-94. Check out his site as well -- great story about action that happened a couple of days earlier.

- Chief

RE: NavyChief's post-- shrapnel in the eye sounds bad. I hope Rood didn't lose his eyesight from the shrapnel incident. Anyway, I'd be interested to learn where Joe Muharsky's site is or if I've already seen it. The URL wasn't mentioned in the reply above.

Thanks, Rifleman, too, for the list he provided. I did already notice the credibility lapses and think Kerry would have done better to not talk much at all about his military career instead of letting it be boasted about. Edited by Admin - Please refrain from derogatory statements about other candidates; this site is about John Kerry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: