SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bush Raises Questions About CBS Documents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Bush Raises Questions About CBS Documents Reply with quote

Bush Raises Questions About CBS Documents

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1896&u=/nm/20040918/us_nm/campaign_cbs_dc_6&printer=1

Quote:
KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) questioned the authenticity of documents aired by CBS News that said he received special treatment during his Vietnam-era service in the National Guard, according to a Bush interview published on Saturday.

"There are a lot of questions about the documents and they need to be answered," Bush told the Union Leader newspaper of Manchester, New Hampshire, after a week in which some experts questioned whether the documents had been fabricated by those seeking to damage Bush in his re-election race.

"I think what needs to happen is people need to take a look at the documents, how they were created, and let the truth come out," Bush added.

CBS' "6O Minutes II" aired a Dan Rather report this month citing four memos purported to be from Bush's former Texas Air National Guard squadron commander, the late Air National Guard Lt. Col. Jerry Killian.

The documents said Killian was under pressure to "sugar coat" Bush's service record after Bush, then a Guard pilot, was grounded for his failure to perform to standards or to take a physical.

CBS News president Andrew Heyward said the network was satisfied that the documents were accurate but said he recognized the public had doubts about them. Rather said he believed they were legitimate but echoed Hayward's pledge to answer critics.

Various news organizations have suggested Bill Burkett, a former Texas National Guard officer, might have been the source for the documents.

The New York Times reported on Saturday that Burkett unsuccessfully offered information and advice to help the campaign of Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites).

Burkett complained in an e-mail newsletter he had difficulty getting through to the people who mattered at the Kerry campaign because he had to "get through seven layers of bureaucratic kids trying to get a job after the election."

BUSH DEFENDS SERVICE

In the Union Leader interview, Bush defended his service and his decision to leave the Texas Guard to transfer to Alabama in order to work on a political campaign.

"I was granted permission by my superiors," he said. "I did everything they asked me to do and met my requirements and was honorably discharged. I'm proud of my service in the Guard."

In Washington, the Pentagon (news - web sites) released dozens more documents of Bush's Guard service on Friday, but did not settle questions about Bush's Guard service in Alabama in late 1972.

Bush, who was spending a quiet day at his parents' seaside home in rain-soaked Kennebunkport, did not go as far as his wife, Laura, in his comments about the documents.

She told Radio Iowa last week the documents "probably are altered and they probably are forgeries and I think that's terrible, really."

The president, asked by the Union Leader if the White House believed the Democrats were involved in the release of the documents, said, "I don't know." White House spokesman Scott McClellan has accused the Kerry campaign and the Democratic Party of orchestrated attacks against Bush

Stolen Honor
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that shows you the differance between Bush and kerry.

kerry would have been screaming and crying about how it was those %@% Bush people that set him up.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classy, non-attacking comments. Calmly drawing a bulls-eye on CBS and the DNC. None of the spewing of hatred and out-of-control anger as done by the leftist party.

Now my other comments, titled small-minded truths:

1. Had a picture taken with Staudt and, uh, oh, an unknown woman;
2. His father wrote a thank you to Staudt complimenting him for his training of Lt Bush;
3. Staudt wrote a letter to Mr. Bush complimenting Lt Bush's training;
4. Lt Bush had to make 2 landing approaches once or maybe twice; absolutely unheard of in the annals of flight;
5. Lt Bush went out in the hot Texas sun to completely wax and shine his F-102 so he could fly low and extra fast to impress a girl he liked...and winked when he told the story...maybe even swaggered;
6. Lt Bush flew a couple of times in T-33 trainers.
The Ghost
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured that bush would make a statement about it when the news on it started to get out of the public eye

brought it back into the news so that every one still gets to see bush on the high road

that is like i think that bush took the high road on the election in 2000

you didn't see any of his mad men running around florida

yea you seen gores mad men from all over the place running around in florida

any state that kerry thinks is close he will contest it ,,he will make this election a worse one then what you seen in 2000

just imagine having 5 to 10 states contesting the vote all at once

we don't need this election to stay in the news too long ,,we are punished enough every day that we have to listen to kerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: