SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Even NPR says it - Rather will be Unemployed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USAFBratToo
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Even NPR says it - Rather will be Unemployed Reply with quote

On an NPR show (Wait Wait, Don't tell me) yesterday the commentator, who over the years has been a staunch liberal, was making small talk and Rather's name came up. The commentator commented Wink that Rather would soon be among the unemployed and the following sequence made great fun of him. It wasn't a news show - more entertainment, and once mindsets like that percolate to the informal every-day level I think it shows that the opinion is widespread and set. His own kind have turned on him!
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Rather ever found out what the frequency is? It's time for smug, arrogant, all self important, self serving elitist journalists to retire.

Rather and BOR are kindred spirits.
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4moreyears wrote:
I wonder if Rather ever found out what the frequency is? It's time for smug, arrogant, all self important, self serving elitist journalists to retire.

Rather and BOR are kindred spirits.

I've seen a reference to the "frequency" comment, but I don't know the history of this one Embarassed

I am curious what this story is about, so could you give me a brief description of the story? Laughing

thanks!
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!
para-eagle
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me as though the comment was made in the spirit of the moment and intended just to be humorous.

On the other hand, Martha Stewart is going to prison, Clinton was impeached, Gray Davis was recalled, and the New York Times had to apologize for Jayson Blair. So, anything can happen.
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've seen a reference to the "frequency" comment, but I don't know the history of this one

I am curious what this story is about, so could you give me a brief description of the story?

During the 80s a man walked up to dan rather on the streets of new york, he asked Dan what was the frequency kenneth and i think punched or slapped his face. The guy turned out to be some nut but its been made the butt of jokes for years. I could be wrong but thats how i remember it.
JCBoston
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiveMeFreedom wrote:
I've seen a reference to the "frequency" comment, but I don't know the history of this one Embarassed

I am curious what this story is about, so could you give me a brief description of the story? Laughing

thanks!

This is the explanation of the "Frequency" story:

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20010619.html

Dear Yahoo!:
What's the story behind R.E.M.'s song "What's the Frequency, Kenneth"?
Dana
Nashua, New Hampshire
Dear Dana:
CBS News anchor Dan Rather, renowned for his unusual expressions and sayings, has led a colorful life. However, one bizarre event really takes the cake.

One night in October 1986, Rather was walking down a Manhattan street when he was punched from behind and thrown to the ground. His assailant kicked and beat him while repeating, "Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

No one could explain the event, and the rumors flew fast and wide. Some speculated the assailant was a KGB agent, while others claimed the attack was the work of a jealous husband. Rather himself couldn't shed any light on the subject. His explanation at the time?

I got mugged. Who understands these things? I didn't and I don't now. I didn't make a lot of it at the time and I don't now. I wish I knew who did it and why, but I have no idea.

Apparently the strange event moved R.E.M. singer Michael Stipe, who said of the incident:

It remains the premier unsolved American surrealist act of the 20th century. It's a misunderstanding that was scarily random, media hyped and just plain bizarre.

The attack inspired the 1994 R.E.M. hit "What's the Frequency, Kenneth." Being a good sport, Dan Rather even accompanied the band when they performed the song on a Late Show with David Letterman appearance.

In 1997, based on a tip from a psychiatrist, Rather's attacker was identified as William Tager. According to the psychiatrist, Tager, who was currently serving time for killing an NBC stagehand, blamed news media for beaming signals into his head, and thought if he could just find out the correct frequency, he could block those signals that were constantly assailing him. Hence the enigmatic inquiry.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Geedunk

Thanks
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The broadcast television MSM has been a subversive anti-American institution created and nutured to spoon feed left wing dogma to the American public. Only now are right wing personalities gaining a toe hold in cable/satellite television MSM. The silent majority is finally getting the truth told to them. The blinders are off! We finally have a frequency of our own and the left is loosing their strangle hold on their ability to shape our political allegiances and subvert the best interests of America.
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather biased was scheduled to retire at the end of the year.

But we all know what happens to retired and discredited liberals. They get plum positions and $$$$$$$$$$ in compensation to pontificate their failed philosophies and ideas on the uneducated public.
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather will be speaking at every Ivy League school in the nation, defending himself and attacking the VRWC at every stop.

Old leftists never die, they just go on the university lecture circuit.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second, wasn't Rather involved in some other fistacuffs within the past two years or so? I seem to recall another mugging type incident where he was on set the next day and his stage pancake makeup (Rumor has it takes 3 hrs to make him presentable to the camera) failed to totaly cover the bruise around his lip. I also think Rather would make a fine on air compainon to Art Bell so that he could continue to babble on in the middle of the night about the "vast right wing conspiracy" that lost him his job at SeeBS. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: