SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Vets
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathan Hale
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Question for Vets Reply with quote

My first post. I'd like to thank all Vets for their service to our country.

I guess I wanted to find out a bit more about why there is so much anti-Kerry sentiment amongst Vets, yet you don't hear much about Bush using family connections to stay out of vietnam. (The former speaker of the Texas house, Ben Barnes, testified under oath that he interceded to get Bush into the TANG. He actually skipped over 500 more qualified candidates). Regardless of what you think about Kerry's attempts to get us out of 'Nam later, he showed up. Why the free pass for bush? On Bush's TANG application form, when asked about an overseas assignment, he checked "do not volunteer."

Anybody out there serve that would have preferred to get into the guard? Would that have pissed you off knowing some politicians son took your spot? Just Curious. I do thank you all!
BrianC
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what you think about Kerry's attempts to get us out of 'Nam later, he showed up.

Yes, he did show up. I don't know any Veterans who have faulted him for that.

But your statement that "Kerry's attempts to get us out of 'Nam" are, in my opinion, a complete mischaracterization of what he was doing and saying after he returned.

Meeting with the Communist government officials in 1970/71, and accusing fellow Veterans of war crimes, protesting alongside the likes of Jane Fonda, is what Kerry was up to in those days, and that is what has led to Veterans casting dispersions in his direction.
Nathan Hale
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, he did show up. I don't know any Veterans who have faulted him for that.

But your statement that "Kerry's attempts to get us out of 'Nam" are, in my opinion, a complete mischaracterization of what he was doing and saying after he returned.

Meeting with the Communist government officials in 1970/71, and accusing fellow Veterans of war crimes, protesting alongside the likes of Jane Fonda, is what Kerry was up to in those days, and that is what has led to Veterans casting dispersions in his direction.

Thanks for the reply. You didn't mention bush, but you did say you didn't fault Kerry for showing up. Maybe you are like me-if I was in the position to go to 'Nam, and could have used connections to get out-I'd have done it. (I will admit to not being as brave as many on this board, or John Kerry for that matter). I can't therefore blame GWB for doing the same thing.

Regarding Mr. Kerry's actions after the war, my research shows what I consider to be a guy who cared about vets, and wanted them out of 'Nam. Much of what I've seen regarding his congressional testimony seemed to be misleading. I would be happy to see some other links, and will keep an open mind. Here is what I found regarding his testimony in front of congress that is often partially quoted:

Quote:
Statement of Mr. John Kerry

...I am not here as John Kerry. I am here as one member of the group of 1,000 which is a small representation of a very much larger group of veterans in this country, and were it possible for all of them to sit at this table they would be here and have the same kind of testimony....

WINTER SOLDIER INVESTIGATION

I would like to talk, representing all those veterans, and say that several months ago in Detroit, we had an investigation at which over 150 honorably discharged and many very highly decorated veterans testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia, not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command....

They told the stories at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war, and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country

It's rough stuff, but I don't find it disrespectful. It seems to be out of concern being voiced by many decorated vets that he speaks.
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look....

The deal is this. Kerry is a self-confessed war criminal, no matter WHAT Bush may, or may not be.

For you democrats, Clinton's cowardly draft-dodging was no reason to vote against Clinton, and he was running against two bone-fide war heroes. So, at the end of the day, Bush's NG service is no reason to vote against him... or for Kerry.

The only thing Kerry has going for himself is his abbreviated service in Vietnam. And if that qualifies Kerry to be President, then there are a million veterans more highly qualified than Kerry.

As for not finding the multiple posts and trolls of the Kerry-bots "disrespectful," that is, at the end of the day, due to the fact that for the average Kerry-bot, there is NO outrage... no lie.... that can be committed in support of their little war-criminal that Kerry supporters WOULD object to.

For Americans, when its all said and done... we'll step into the voting booth, and look down at the choices presented to us. We'll see that the choices are, primarily, Bush and Kerry. Them we'll ask ourselves: which one of these two would the terrorists vote for.

And then, we'll vote for the other one. And the other one is Bush.
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianC wrote:
accusing fellow Veterans of war crimes...

What is the big objection here? Are we not grownups? Can't we face facts, even uncomfortable ones?

War crimes are a part of every war. There are any number of reasons for them. Here are a few: Criminals make it into the service where they lie, cheat, rape and murder just as they did as civilians. More sinisterly, war is corrosive of a moral sense in certain circumstances and Vietnam, where a disguised enemy used exceptional deceit, playing by no rules at all while Americans wore their uniforms and tried to play by the internationl norms, was a place where the temptation to strike back by any means was sometimes succumbed to. Explain Abhu Graib if decent people cannot lose their moral way sometimes.

There is no surprise in this. There is also ample proof that it happened and more than our society finds tolerable. It is not a matter of whether various kinds of atrocities occurred in Vietnam, many were prosecuted for that matter, not just alleged, it is a matter of degree or extent.

WWII, an unquestioned morally just war, saw thousands of crimes committed by ordinary soldiers if you care to dig a little, as much of it has been well-documented. Watch a couple of episodes of Band of Brothers if you want to see a few illegal actions that were both taken and glossed over by command. Does this make that war immoral or the actions of our soldiers the overwhelming majority of the time not exemplary? No, it means war is prosecuted by human beings and that from time to time it brings out both the best and worst in both the best and the worst human beings. My respect and admiration for warfighters is not diminished to realize that some of them, in some places, sometimes broke the law. I have an uncle I adore. He was a Marine in the Pacific and a pillar of the community when he returned home. He would not talk about his service. Toward the end of his life he would hint a little: "We saw things, we did things..."

That Kerry higlighted the nature of the Vietnam war, where a determined and unprincipled enemy sometimes brought out the worst from the best, should not diminsh the appreciation all Americans should have for what our soldiers tried to do there. It doesn't for me.

That some veterans are so touchy about this subject disappoints me. Defensiveness does not increase the honor of your service nor that of your honorable compatriots. Shrill denials that American soldiers in Vietnam or any other war occasionally disgraced themselves are protesting too much. Any grownup should know they don't say war is hell for nothing, and can look past the realities of atrocities and respect the overwhelming immensity of the sacrificies offered.

Nelson Demille said that in war everything is pre-forgiven. I think that is almost true.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that Kerry was speaking against Vietnam prior to his service and was trying to liken himself to Kennedy, as well as announcing as early as 1966 that he had political aspirations, his short 4 months service and rapid award of 3 purple hearts for minor scratches to get out of Vietnam paints quite a picture as to why he even went.

For me, he declared Vietnam to be wrong, a mistake, criminal, immoral and horrific. Now, he wants all to believe he is a hero of that same conflict while never recanting his earlier views. In fact, he has recently said he still stands by them. How can you declare yourself a hero of a conflict that you so dispised?

It just doesn't wash.
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Considering that Kerry was speaking against Vietnam prior to his service and was trying to liken himself to Kennedy, as well as announcing as early as 1966 that he had political aspirations, his short 4 months service and rapid award of 3 purple hearts for minor scratches to get out of Vietnam paints quite a picture as to why he even went.

For me, he declared Vietnam to be wrong, a mistake, criminal, immoral and horrific. Now, he wants all to believe he is a hero of that same conflict while never recanting his earlier views. In fact, he has recently said he still stands by them. How can you declare yourself a hero of a conflict that you so dispised?

It just doesn't wash.

Hear, hear Lew!!

It is the ideologue and hypocritical Democrats who pick Kerry as their war hero when they despise the military.

Makes my stomach turn.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nathan Hale"]
Quote:

Regarding Mr. Kerry's actions after the war, my research shows what I consider to be a guy who cared about vets, and wanted them out of 'Nam. Much of what I've seen regarding his congressional testimony seemed to be misleading. I would be happy to see some other links, and will keep an open mind. Here is what I found regarding his testimony in front of congress that is often partially quoted:

Quote:
Statement of Mr. John Kerry

...I am not here as John Kerry. I am here as one member of the group of 1,000 which is a small representation of a very much larger group of veterans in this country, and were it possible for all of them to sit at this table they would be here and have the same kind of testimony....

WINTER SOLDIER INVESTIGATION

I would like to talk, representing all those veterans, and say that several months ago in Detroit, we had an investigation at which over 150 honorably discharged and many very highly decorated veterans testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia, not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command....

They told the stories at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war, and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country

It's rough stuff, but I don't find it disrespectful. It seems to be out of concern being voiced by many decorated vets that he speaks.

Are you saying that you believe that "war crimes" such as " raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks," etc. were committed "on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command' and you don't think that's being disrespectful.

Giving you the benifit of the doubt take a look at

http://ice.he.net/~freepnet/kerry/index.php?topic=New

Also this is a post I recently made to about "Winter Soldier Investigations" which Kerry used as the basis for his Senate testimony.

[quote="Hesoid"]
Quote:

They also got double and triple corroboration for the testimony in as many cases as possible from guys in the same unit who served contemporaneously.

Okay, here's the index for all the testimonies. Would you please point out to me all of the cases they got a single corroboration of a specific incident
i.e. Don't give me things like Palosaari's

"My primary reason for getting involved in this testimony was because of Jim Weber. He called me up last Thursday night. He said he was coming up to Detroit to testify. He gave me a rundown on what he planned on telling the people. And everything he said was true and, you know, I had to support him. I told him I would. I'd collaborate his story."

He's collaborating the testimony before it's given in toto!

http://lists.village.virginia.edu/sixties/HTML_docs/Resources/Primary/Winter_Soldier/WS_entry.html

[quote="Hesoid"]
Quote:

They also put together a committee of combat vets who understood the terminology, tactics and deployments to further screen out liars. And they did.

They were not 100% successful, of course. And Kerry has admitted that after the fact.

And speaking of Weber v. screening

WEBER: "I'm the Jim that he's talking about. This had bothered me for a long time. Prior to going into service, I was a manager of a shoe store--it's a chain across the country. I had a relatively easy job, well paying job. And so I imagined I would be a flag waver because I had a little bit of money and I wouldn't care about, you know, I had a racist attitude. Of course, we all still have racist attitudes. I, I didn't care about anyone else. You know, I cared about myself and I, I got drafted into the army and it, it made quite a big change because I was waving flags all the time that I was on my train, you know, down to South Carolina where I got my murder training. And I...okay, I went in there, and my complete moral worth was completely destroyed. I mean I was a worthless human being. The worst thing that you can be in the military is to be called a civilian. And so they had to completely resocialize us, which they were very effective at doing. I didn't agree with everything, but I went along with it. Then I was sent on to advanced genocide training down at Fort Polk, Louisiana. And this, this is where I got, you know, this is where I started to hate, hate anything that wasn't exactly like me. Anything that wasn't a fighting machine. Gooks. You've heard that mentioned here for three days, but I don't think you really know what it means unless you know how much hate is instilled in one person, how much, how much really guilt, I mean...like if you're not white and 21, you know, forget it. And this is what they do. This is what they do. They turn you into a fighting machine and it's, it's so, it's so hideous some of the things. I mean we've gone into barracks and we've had like pictures of...well, they weren't pictures, they were like cartoons, with slant eyes, you know.

Everything was a slant eye and these little hats on the top, you know. And these were the people you were hating. They were positioned right above the gun racks, you know. No uniform or anything, just, just simply the profile of one, or maybe the face, full face of another. And this, this went on, you know, for sixteen straight weeks. By the time I had left Fort Polk, Louisiana, I wanted to kill my mother, you know. Or anyone, that, that wasn't, you know, completely in agreement with me. I wanted to just kill everything, you know. It's really bad. I went over to Vietnam with the same attitude because I, I had been trained and I knew I was an effective fighting machine. That I was going to kill everything in my path and it started out and it...it lasted for about one day. When I got there and saw the _____ being beat out of a few children, you know. And from there on, it was all downhill and, man, like I was a great American, and I think I still am a great American, you know. Just because you don't completely agree with something you don't understand, there was no reason why, you know, you should be a Communist and write with your left hand. And it's really wild. Through Vietnam these things just kept going and going on and going on. I can relate to you _____ that went on. I mean, like, you've gone through this, right, you've gone through the whole thing. But even the people that were on our side, man, even the people that were fighting with us, were still lower class, second class citizens, you know. Since there weren't that many, they were a complete different race. We would call them niggers, you know, in this country. Over there we call them gooks, you know. It's the same thing. They're second class citizens. It's a complete racism thing, you know. Okay, so what happened? Like even the people that are supposed to be on our side, they're supposed to be fighting with us. Right? I have an example here. This isn't an atrocity. You know, it isn't blood and gore. We went into a village and we searched, we searched the people and not everyone understandably could be in the military because someone had to, you know, work the land. Someone had to provide the food. Okay, who was going to do this? It was people...it was people that, you know, had special permits, special passes, special ID cards. Now these are the people that are on our side.

We went into a village and we took the ID cards off of people and sent them back to the rear. I have one here that the press can verify after. (Bill Schmidt of the Detroit Free Press is supposed to be writing this down. I don't know how far he's got with it.) I'd like to know what happened to this man. Not this man, but all of our yellow brothers. It's just a big racism thing. You know, they're all complete second class citizens and it's really, really hideous, you know. There's a number of things. And then, when I come out of the service, and I come back. I would go into, you know, the bars, to where my friends used to loaf and, you know, I would hear these same things going on, that went on before I left. But now, things had changed for me, see. Because I had seen what was going on. I had firsthand, you know, witnessed these things and I wasn't getting it from the Pittsburgh Press or the Pittsburgh Post Gazette or anything like that, man. I had seen it. And my father, my parents, had sent me clippings of these massive massacres that we had committed. My unit, the 196th, which weren't true. You know, simply weren't true. And, the same thing that's been brought up all day long about the body count. Everything is a bunch of lies. And you get people sitting back here, you know, back here, and, and they believe this stuff and that's what we've got to get out. I really believe it. Like I've said before, you know. I think this is being a true American. I think it's, you know, sticking up for your country. Damn it, I love this country and I can't see it being run by fascist pigs, you know."

And the Crime was he stole an id card??

[quote="Hesoid"]
Quote:

But, most of the testimony has never been debunked or invalidated.

Yes, and none, zip, nada, zero of them have ever been substantiated despite NIS being directed fo investigat the allegations. VVAW instructed the participants not to cooperate.

Guenter Lewy America in Vietnam

"Yet the appearance of’ exactitude was deceptive. Sen. Mark O. Hatfield of Oregon was impressed by the charges made by the veterans and inserted the transcript of the Detroit hearing into the Congressional Record. Furthermore, he asked the commandant of the Marine Corps to investigate the numerous allegations of wrongdoing made against the marines in particular. The results of this investigation, carried out by the Naval Investigative Service, are interesting and revealing. Many of the veterans, though assured that they would not be questioned about atrocities they might have committed personally, refused to be interviewed. One of the active members of the VVAW told investigators that the leadership had directed the entire membership not to cooperate with military authorities. A black marine who agreed to be interviewed was unable to provide details of the outrages he had described at the hearing, hut he called the Vietnam war “one huge atrocity” and “a racist plot.” He admitted that the question of atrocities had not occurred to him while he was in Vietnam, and that he had been assisted in the preparation of his testimony by a member of the Nation of Islam. But the most damaging finding consisted of the sworn statements of several veterans, corroborated by witnesses, that they had in fact not attended the hearing in Detroit, One of them had never been to Detroit in all his life. He did not know, he stated, who might have used his name. "

[quote="Hesoid"]
Quote:

In fact, some subsequent investigations have corroborated similar types of stories (note the Toldeo Blade's recent series on a particular unit of commandoes that routinely committed atrocities in Vietnam).

Yes and at least 119 people were convicted in Court Martials, 3 were given immunity to testify, 3 were KIA before disposition, and 2 were found insane. Guenter Lewy America in Vietnam

We're still a long ways from "on a day to day basis"

[quote="Hesoid"]
Quote:

Also, you have to remember that this testimony was after the stories about My Lai, along with other stories of war crimes, came out of Vietnam.

In fact the Calley court martial was just begining

[quote="Hesoid"]
Quote:

So, the allegations were credible to Kerry and many of his listeners. He had no reason, at that point, to doubt what he was told.

But he had an obligation as an organizor, as a member of the VVAW excecutive committee and as a witness before congress to ensure they were acturate statements.

Had no reason to doubt? Would you take at face value and place your reputation on the veracity of the following statement by our friend Mr. Camile:

"CAMILE. He never said not to or never said anything about it. The main thing was that if an operation was covered by the press there were certain things we weren't supposed to do, but if there was no press there, it was okay. I saw one case where a woman was shot by a sniper, one of our snipers. When we got up to her she was asking for water. And the Lt. said to kill her. So he ripped off her clothes, they stabbed her in both breasts, they spread-eagled her and shoved an E- tool up her ******, an entrenching tool, and she was still asking for water. And then they took that out and they used a tree limb and then she was shot."

and

"CAMILE. The way that we distinguished between civilians and VC, VC had weapons and civilians didn't and anybody that was dead was considered a VC. If you killed someone they said, "How do you know he's a VC?" and the general reply would be, "He's dead," and that was sufficient. When we went through the villages and searched people the women would have all their clothes taken off and the men would use their penises to probe them to make sure they didn't have anything hidden anywhere and this was raping but it was done as searching.

[quote="Hesoid"]
Quote:

By all accounts, John Kerry was a pretty shrewd and judicious guy, even in 1971. I doubt very seriously that he would have made such accusation if he did not believe there was a sound basis for repeating them. As has been pointed out, he had political aspirations.

Exactly. He had political aspirations.

[quote="Hesoid"]
Quote:

And he was a moderate within VVAW, to boot, who frequently had run ins and conflicts with more radical members like Al Hubbard.

I believe Al Hubbard was the gentleman who nomiated JFK2 to the VVAW exec committee. Didn't the conflict with Hubbard start after it was shown that Hubbard had never served in Vietnam.

[quote="Hesoid"]
Quote:

To suggest that he would casually throw these accusations out there without a sound basis for making them just smacks me as ridiculous.

Not if you don't have to back them up.

I find it interesting that an organization that boast of over 20,000 members can't find more than 150 (or 105 depending on source) to testify in support of the organization basic premis for exsistance.

I mean where is Kerry's testimony? Where is Hubbard's? Oh yea. He's the one the "committee of combat vets who understood the terminology, tactics and deployments to further screen out liars" vetted.

NOT!!
RVN '65-'66

Last edited by JN173 on Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As for not finding the multiple posts and trolls of the Kerry-bots "disrespectful," that is, at the end of the day, due to the fact that for the average Kerry-bot, there is NO outrage... no lie.... that can be committed in support of their little war-criminal that Kerry supporters WOULD object to."

And Nate, here, is a case in point: "What is the big objection here? Are we not grownups? Can't we face facts, even uncomfortable ones?

War crimes are a part of every war."

Like that excuses anything.

Of the two main candidates, only one of them is a war criminal. And he happens to be the guy YOU are supporting.
AZ3
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry's own words...

In answer to a question posed by Senator Aiken on what would be the attitude of the South Vietnamese people should we withdraw:

“If we don't withdraw, if we maintain a Korean-type presence in South Vietnam, say 50,000 troops or something, with strategic bombing raids from Guam and from Japan and from Thailand dropping these 15,000 pound fragmentation bombs on them, et cetera, in the next few years, then what you will have is a people who are continually oppressed, who are continually at warfare, and whose problems will not at all be solved because they will not have any kind of representation.

The war will continue. So what I am saying is that yes, there will be some recrimination but far, far less than the 200,000 a year who are murdered by the United States of America, and we can't go around -- President Kennedy said this, many times. He said that the United States simply can't right every wrong, that we can't solve the problems of the other 94 percent of mankind. We didn't go into East Pakistan; we didn't go into Czechoslovakia. Why then should we feel that we now have the power to solve the internal political struggles of this country?

We have to let them solve their problems while we solve ours and help other people in an altruistic fashion commensurate with our capability. But we have extended that capacity; we have exhausted that capacity, Senator. So I think the question is really moot.”

Murdered. 200,000 a year who are murdered by the United States of America. His words. Question is, will he bring the same attitude, the same feelings to the situation in the Middle East, and to our conduct in the world theater?

On the use of drugs by military personnel, question posed by Senator Symington:

“The problem is extremely serious. It is serious in very many different ways. I believe two Congressmen today broke a story. I can't remember their names. There were 35,000 or some men, heroin addicts that were back.

The problem exists for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the emptiness. It is the only way to get through it. A lot of guys, 60, 80 percent stay stoned 24 hours a day just to get through the Vietnam – “

“You say 60 to 80 percent.”

“Sixty to 80 percent is the figure used that try sornething, let's say, at one point. Of that I couldn't give you a figure of habitual smokers, let's say, of pot, and I certainly couldn't begin to say how many are hard drug addicts, but I do know that the problem for the returning veteran is, acute, because we have, let's say, a veteran picks up a $12 habit in Saigon. He comes back to this country and the moment he steps off an airplane that same habit costs him some $90 to support. With the state of the economy, he can't get a job. He doesn't earn money. He turns criminal or just finds his normal sources and in a sense drops out.
The alienation of the war, the emptiness of back and forth, all combined adds to this. There is no real drug rehabilitation program. I know the VA hospital in New York City has 20 beds allocated for drug addicts; 168 men are on the waiting list, and I really don't know what a drug addict does on the waiting list.”

First he says that 60 to 80 percent of the men in Viet Nam stayed stoned 24 hours a day, then he says 60 to 80 percent is the figure of men who tried drugs. He then goes on to describe a returning Viet Nam vet as a man who has a drug habit, cannot find a job, and then turns to crime.

So tell me, where did this image the American public had of a drug crazed, whacked out shell come from if not John Kerry?

Now consider this, what would it mean to the war on terror if a man who testified in front of Congress that we had no business interfering in the affairs of other nations is given the responsibility to protect this country from threats born in those nations.

We are at war...there is no room for ambiguity, there is no room nor time for second guessing, and there certainly is no room for a man who proclaimed that the majority of those serving in Viet Nam were drug addicts in order to establish himself in the public eye and create a platform for a political career.
Armorer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate... I find your confession regarding your lack of bravery very ammusing in light of your choice of moniker. I wonder if that was your intention...
But in response to your query...
Sadly, service members these days expect a certain amount of disconnect from the civilian populace they serve. This is due in large part to the political and cultural climate of the Vietnam era from which Sen. Kerry emerged. What service members do not (and should not) expect is to be betrayed by one of their fellows. Civilians are civilians, they will always be a little different from a veteran. But we hold ourselves to a higher standard. If Sen. Kerry had done and said the things he did having never served in the military it would be a much different situation. But because of his service his deeds become sins and betrayals in the eyes of his fellow veterans.

On the other hand, we have President Bush. I don't think many veterans delude themselves as to the nature of the National Guard in the Vietnam era. It was a bit of a joke. But the joke ends at the flight line. Military aircraft are dangerous and just getting into one requires a certain amount of bravery... even more so if that aircraft is maintained by "part time" National Guard ground crew. If the President lacked bravery he would have found a much safer job than the one he did. More to the point, he allegedly exploited connections to find the most dangerous job in the Guard that he could. The Vietnam era National Guard bares a certain amount of stigma and perhaps that's fair. But it doesn't make President Bush unfit to serve as President. Kerry's limited and questionable service, on the other hand, along with his activities with VVAW and others make him not only unfit, but it makes even his candidacy an insult to veterans who suffered his efforts everywhere.
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armorer wrote:
Military aircraft are dangerous and just getting into one requires a certain amount of bravery... even more so if that aircraft is maintained by "part time" National Guard ground crew. If the President lacked bravery he would have found a much safer job than the one he did. More to the point, he allegedly exploited connections to find the most dangerous job in the Guard that he could.

Sorry, Armorer, I think any guy who can remember what it was like to be 20 and pee pure testosterone knows you are making this up. Find me a 20 year-old who would pass up the chance to fly a jet because he thought it was dangerous. The History Channel is running a show on Medal of Honor winners. One of them was talking about flying jets in combat in Vietnam, where he nearly got killed and displayed the bravery that got him that honor. He said it was like having someone hand you the keys to a Porshce and a credit card for all your gas.

I believe that medal of honor winner, Amorer. Bush wasn't brave because he flew jets. He was a red-blooded young guy scared to got to Vietnam and handed the keys to a Porsche with a government credit card.

You can usually **** the spectators but you can't **** the players...
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear what this country will turn into if Kerry is elected. If we can believe what he said before Congress in the 1970s to be how he really feels, then Iraq and Afghanistan will go down the tubes and we'll be left with two terrorists states instead of their current 0.
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhist wrote:
I fear what this country will turn into if Kerry is elected. If we can believe what he said before Congress in the 1970s to be how he really feels, then Iraq and Afghanistan will go down the tubes and we'll be left with two terrorists states instead of their current 0.

Kerry doesn't believe today everything he thought when he was in his twenties. Do you? If we could dredge up your political statements from that era wouldn't some of them sound pretty youngish today?

Kerry won't abandon Afghanistan like Bush has done. I remiond you that only Kabul is semi-stable and that everywhere else the warlords are back and in control. To a sorry extent the Taliban are returning - because they never went anywhere anyway and we have largely ignored that place since Iraq took center stage.

Need proof that Afghanistan is very close to a lawless failed state? The opium crop is at an all-time high.

As for Iraq, now that we are there there is little daylight between Kerry's and Bush's positions. Bush wants out fast and is sucking up to the UN to take this political turkey off his hands. Do you think the handover of "sovereignty" just before the election is because it is exactly the right move to ensure a stable Iraqi future or do you think it might have a little something to do with November? What? The White House play politics in Iraq? Heaven forfend. And the fact that Bush is putting off asking for more really serious bucks to Iraq until just after the election? Iraqi war politics? Oh, say it ain't so. Please. I was born at night. Just not last night.

Relax and get real. If the republic can survive a term with Bush as president it can certainly survive one with Kerry. Personally, I think Kerry will move us in all the right directions.
Armorer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey publius...
Was he only 20? Kinda young for a Yale grad, isn't it? Well, don't assume to know the truth of my assertions. When you're getting on a 53 and the platoon Sgt says he won't board unless it's leaking because that's the only way he can be sure it has hydraulic fluid... yeah, there's a little fear there. I can assure you, I know the fear of boarding a military aircraft. That's not to say the jocks don't get a kick out of it, but it doesn't make them any less brave. By your calculations the same gentleman you cited lacked bravery until he was nearly killed. I dunno, but those calculations sound like fuzzy math to me. Besides, what did you expect the guy to say? "Hell yeah I'm brave, gimme that medal!"? Heros tend towards modesty over their actions... another point against Kerry.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: