SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain... Reply with quote

Yet another editor dis or mis-informing his readers. Anyone in the mood for a BOR-esque "pithy opine" to the Santa Maria Times?

Quote:
Time to focus on real issues
Santa Maria Times
Sunday, September 19, 2004

Is anyone surprised that the presidential campaigns have become mired in events that occurred three decades ago?

First, Republicans took a crack at Democrat John Kerry through a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, whose claim is that Kerry, a decorated officer who volunteered and served briefly in the Vietnam war, lied about his service record and didn't deserve his medals.

Those charges have mostly been proved false by the facts of the case. ( Rolling Eyes - emphasis mine) But the public-image damage was done.

Although Democrats were slow to respond, they have now done so by engineering a regurgitation of President Bush's limited engagement in the Texas Air National Guard, including memos reported to be evidence that Bush disobeyed a direct order to take a physical exam.

We can only hope this media feeding frenzy is nearly over. Just weeks from the Nov. 2 election, the campaigning so far has been mostly about events of 30 years ago, rather than about what's happening to this country today, and what will happen in the years ahead if corrective steps aren't taken.

The candidates are simply too distracted by the Vietnam era to make their positions clear on the economy, the fate of Social Security and Medicare, the war in Iraq, mushrooming budget deficits and other pressing issues.

The Vietnam War is over. It was an unfortunate period in American history that now needs to be put behind us.

Let the candidates explain how they're going to solve our real problems - please.

Santa Maria Times

Send us your comments: kpankey@pulitzer.net

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking we could benefit from a division of labor.
Me#1You#10 and others are on top of finding ignorant reporters. Some of our posters have written beautiful and compelling rebutals to previous distorted stories. A coordinated effort between these skillsets could have profound affect.
There are only six weeks left in this drama and this is when it all counts.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"
Capt. Lloyd Williams, USMC
Bob Chamberlain
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:44 am    Post subject: Media reply Reply with quote

I sent the following email to the Santa Maria Times. It would not hurt at all to send similar emails to every news outlet you can think of. If we can get the news media to look at the evidence presented at the Stolen Honor, Winter Soldier and KerryLied sites, I can't help but believe that they will be moved in our direction to at least some degree. And if that simply means that they become truly neutral, that is a win for our side.

Sirs;

John Kerry is honored by the communists for his contribution to
their victory in Vietnam. His picture hangs in the War Remnants
Museum in Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) in a room dedicated
to the foreign activists who contributed to the communist victory.
If John Kerry is a hero to our enemy, how can he not be a traitor
to America? Full story at http://www.kerrylied.com

John Kerry became a leader of the antiwar movement, largely to
promote his own political career. Even his own "brothers" in
the antiwat movement were suspicious of his motives and began
to distrust him. Excerpts from FBI field surveillance reports at:
http://www.betrayed-vietnam-vet.info/files/KerryTheOpportunist.pdf

In furtherance of his antiwar "image", John Kerry concocted a litany
of false atrocity charges that he used in testimony before Congress
and in any number of press interviews to discredit our nation and our
military. Full story at http://www.wintersoldier.com

John Kerry's statements were of material harm to our American POW's
in Vietnamese hands and contributed to extending the Vietnam War
by at least 2 years. As such, John Kerry is partly responsible for the
deaths of over 45,000 US and allied service members. Very clear
and moving testimony on this point can be found in the video clips at:
http://www.stolenhonor.com/documentary/samples.asp

I could go on at some length. These few examples by no means
represent the full extent of John Kerry's betrayal of our nation. How
can America even consider electing a man with this record as
President? Does it really matter what John Kerry did 30 years ago?
It damned sure does!!! And we are not forgetting!!!

Useful anti-Kerry campaign material at:
http://www.betrayed-vietnam-vet.info
wvobiwan
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: My response Reply with quote

Here's my letter, I concentrated more on tying his past behavior to present circumstances, couldn't resist a dig at their new club membership...:>)

Subject: What Swift Boat Vet charges have been proven false?

Saw your 'editorial', "Time to focus on real issues" of Sept. 19, 2004 on line.

In case you are not aware I'd like to bring it to your attention: Did you know that due to your completely amusing editorial the Santa Maria Times has now joined here in cyberspace a 'distinguished' club of laughing stocks in the printed news media? Your new club is composed of so-called newspapers that play fast and loose with the truth, and refuse to report it when it doesn't suit its biased views.

Your editorial is all over the Internet by now, and I'm sure many folks will be responding to your amazing lack of integrity about your Swift Boat allegations and that editorial in general. In particular, I'd like to take issue with two sentences that are complete fabrications, and proven so:

"First, Republicans took a crack at Democrat John Kerry through a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, whose claim is that Kerry, a decorated officer who volunteered and served briefly in the Vietnam war, lied about his service record and didn't deserve his medals.

Those charges have mostly been proven false by the facts of the case."

To use your sentence structure: First, Swift Boat Veterans for the Truth are in fact made up of registered Independants, Democrats, and yes, Republicans. But to imply in your editorial that Republicans are somehow behind the Swift Boat Vets is at best inferring a relationship between the RNC or President Bush and the Vets that does not exist, and at worst sleazily insinuates some official connection. This is clearly an attempt to unfairly characterize the Swift Vets as RNC pawns, and I'm sure you will hear from them that they resent it.

But the most aggregious departure from the facts is your assertion that the "charges have mostly been proven false by the facts of the case." Of the Swift Boat Vet charges laid out in their book, Unfit for Command (have you even read it?), NONE, that's right, ZERO, have been proven false. Some have in fact been proven true, such as the "Christmas in Cambodia" incident and his Bronze Star (the Rassmann incident) to name a few.

However, I will grant you that more of the Swift Vet charges could be proven false, or true, if Senator Kerry would only sign the Form 180 and release his records as President Bush has done at Kerry's insistance. What does Kerry have to hide? Will you find out, or does your journalistic duty only apply to opponents of your candidate (who judging from your slanted editorial must be Kerry)?

While I agree with one statement in your editorial that we should also talk about the issues currently facing this country, I strongly disagree with your overall contention that we should put Vietnam behind us. Kerry's behavior in and especially after Vietnam is important to understand given the fact that we are at war with terrorism, here's why:

Vietnam Vets are voters too, and they have lots of friends and family, like me. They, along with much of America, see the same type of behavior in John Kerry and the leftist media (such as, I suspect, yourselves) that extended the Vietnam war when we had it won, happening TODAY regarding Iraq. Attempts to divide the US by lopsided (overwhelmingly negative) coverage of the war, vile acusations of conspiracy and lies, reporting every protest and contrary word, playing on sympathies of grieving families - we've all seen this before starting back in the late sixties. And we do NOT have short attention spans about treason and betrayal.

The only thing missing from the current state of affairs is Kerry visiting Osama and Muqtada to get marching orders - as he met with reps. from the NVA 30 years ago. I think there are many current soldiers that blame much of the post-Iraqi war deaths of American soldiers on anti-war demonstrators and the back-peddling rhetoric of the likes of Sen. Kerry, Gov. Dean, and the DNC. Like the NVA in Vietnam, terrorists and insurgents hope to feed this preceived split aided and abetted by leftist media and folks like Hanoi John. I can call him that, my father is one of the folks he falsely accused of atrocities in 1971, and I, for one, will never forgive him for that. Kid's called my father a baby killer to my face when I was a young boy, usually no more than once - I took strong exception to it, but I think that's something my father will never forgive either.

Vietnam today has an honored exhibit in its war museum for John Kerry, he's a hero to the Vietnamese communists that run that country with an iron fist. General Giap stated that North Vietnam only kept fighting after 1968 because of folks like John Kerry, Tom Hayden, and Jane Fonda. This country will continue to talk about Vietnam until these folks and the media understand that they were wrong to divide this country; it cost American soldiers their lives, not to mention millions of innocent Vietnamese lives after the US pulled out. They were wrong then, and they are wrong now about Iraq.

AMERICANS WIILL NOT SEE THIS HAPPEN IN IRAQ. Kerry already has promised to pull the troops out in 4 years. What Kerry's told the terrorists by that statement is that it's negotiable - all they have to do is continue fighting, General Giap would agree. Based upon your editorial it would seem that you and your newspaper are part of the problem, we in the blogoshere all over the US and even the world intend to see that you no longer can hurt or kill our soldiers with your ignorance and yellow journalism.

We will continue to call attention to your bias, you cannot sweep this under the rug by calling it "unfortunate" - that is perhaps the most personally insulting part of your editorial.

Doug
Harpers Ferry, WV

PS: I also noticed in your wonderfully fair and balanced editorial that you neglected to mention that the National Guard accusations against Bush were based upon documents that have widely been accepted as forgeries.
BenDeR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm talking about re: Bob Chamberlain and wvobiwan.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"
Capt. Lloyd Williams, USMC
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I sent:

Quote:
In your editorial in the Santa Maria Times titled Time to Focus on Real Issues there are some inaccuracies.

1. First, Republicans took a crack at Democrat John Kerry through a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth...

Swift Boat Veterans are not a partisan group. They are a group of over 250 swift boat veterans that have had experiences with John Kerry. There are many democrats amoung them. For instance John O'Neill, author of "Unfit For Duty", is a registered independant who voted for Al Gore and Ross Perot before that. He is not a Bush supporter.

The Kerry campaign and many in the media have repeatedly referred to the swift boat group as a republican front. This is simply not true and should not be repeated without any basis in fact. There are over 60,000 contributors with the average contribution being just over $65.00 I believe. Yes, some supporters are republicans. Others are democrats and still others are independants. Swiftboat vets, from what I have learned about them, are not for Bush, rather they are opposed to Kerry based on his character and their history with him.

2. Those charges have mostly been proved false by the facts of the case.

The truth is that not one fact in the book "Unfit For Command" has been disproven. Not one.

This is another statement that has been constantly repeated by the Kerry campaign and the media without any basis in fact. The reality is that the Kerry people have conceded that in fact some of the allegations made are in fact true.

For instance, after stating it was SEARED into his memory, Kerry has admitted he was never in Cambodia on Christmas Eve or any other time. Also, in his speech at the democratic national convention he told a dramatic story of the rescue of Rassmann in which all boats fled the scene and he alone stayed and rescued the man overboard. He has since admitted that in fact all the other boats STAYED and he FLED some 5000 meters down the river before coming back and pulling Rassmann out of the water. Finally, his people are now admitting that in fact there was no hostile fire when Kerry got his first purple heart.

The only way to clear up the issues of Kerry's medals would be to examine all of his military records. Kerry has not signed a form 180 releasing all of his records. He has only released hand selected pages.

3. Although Democrats were slow to respond, they have now done so by engineering a regurgitation of President Bush's limited engagement in the Texas Air National Guard, including memos reported to be evidence that Bush disobeyed a direct order to take a physical exam.

Bush served 6 years in TANG. How is that limited? You mention memos and the charge they are supposed to be evidence of and don't mention that the memo's are forgeries. That could give your readers the impression there was actual evidence to support a claim that has since been reputed by testimony of the people involved as well as the fact that names and dates were inaccurate and so the memos could not have been real.

I am sure you were unaware of the inaccuracies in the editorial and hope that you will publish a correction quickly.

Deborah Mack
http://www.pajamajournalist.com

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wvobiwan
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmackto wrote:
What I sent:

Quote:
In your editorial in the Santa Maria Times titled Time to Focus on Real Issues there are some inaccuracies.

1. First, Republicans took a crack at Democrat John Kerry through a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth...

Swift Boat Veterans are not a partisan group. They are a group of over 250 swift boat veterans that have had experiences with John Kerry. There are many democrats amoung them. For instance John O'Neill, author of "Unfit For Duty", is a registered independant who voted for Al Gore and Ross Perot before that. He is not a Bush supporter.

The Kerry campaign and many in the media have repeatedly referred to the swift boat group as a republican front. This is simply not true and should not be repeated without any basis in fact. There are over 60,000 contributors with the average contribution being just over $65.00 I believe. Yes, some supporters are republicans. Others are democrats and still others are independants. Swiftboat vets, from what I have learned about them, are not for Bush, rather they are opposed to Kerry based on his character and their history with him.

2. Those charges have mostly been proved false by the facts of the case.

The truth is that not one fact in the book "Unfit For Command" has been disproven. Not one.

This is another statement that has been constantly repeated by the Kerry campaign and the media without any basis in fact. The reality is that the Kerry people have conceded that in fact some of the allegations made are in fact true.

For instance, after stating it was SEARED into his memory, Kerry has admitted he was never in Cambodia on Christmas Eve or any other time. Also, in his speech at the democratic national convention he told a dramatic story of the rescue of Rassmann in which all boats fled the scene and he alone stayed and rescued the man overboard. He has since admitted that in fact all the other boats STAYED and he FLED some 5000 meters down the river before coming back and pulling Rassmann out of the water. Finally, his people are now admitting that in fact there was no hostile fire when Kerry got his first purple heart.

The only way to clear up the issues of Kerry's medals would be to examine all of his military records. Kerry has not signed a form 180 releasing all of his records. He has only released hand selected pages.

3. Although Democrats were slow to respond, they have now done so by engineering a regurgitation of President Bush's limited engagement in the Texas Air National Guard, including memos reported to be evidence that Bush disobeyed a direct order to take a physical exam.

Bush served 6 years in TANG. How is that limited? You mention memos and the charge they are supposed to be evidence of and don't mention that the memo's are forgeries. That could give your readers the impression there was actual evidence to support a claim that has since been reputed by testimony of the people involved as well as the fact that names and dates were inaccurate and so the memos could not have been real.

I am sure you were unaware of the inaccuracies in the editorial and hope that you will publish a correction quickly.

Deborah Mack
http://www.pajamajournalist.com

Don't hold your breath Deb. Nice letter tho, assumes they are incompetent rather than biased..:>)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenDeR wrote:
Me#1You#10 and others are on top of finding ignorant reporters.

Actually they're fed to me by Google "alerts", and I'd encourage all to utilize that feature.
Kathy Kay
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's my own e-mail to the paper:

I have heard it repeated many times that the Swift Boat Veterans' charges "have mostly been proven false by the facts of the case" as you state in your piece. Please show me where, when, and how. Despite seeing it repeated as fact over and over again, I have yet to see that be the case. What I have found is that the Swift Boat information has brought to light the personality of the person who wants to be Commander in Chief, something for which I am eternally grateful.

Mr. Kerry has not and cannot refute his appearance before Congress testifying to "atrocities." The only excuse I have heard for that behavior is that he was repeating what someone else said but he is proud for having done it as an expression of his First Amendment rights. Firstly, repeating what someone else said to establish the truth of the matter asserted therein makes the repeater as culpable for the statements as the original speaker. Secondly, while the First Amendment does in some cases protect even untruths, I hardly find it laudible to testify under oath to those untruths, particularly when (as here) it could and did lead to torture of other American soldiers and when (as here) it was stated with an eye toward personal agrandizement and a desire to hoist oneself into the national spotlight.

While I agree with your premise -- that we should be focusing on now -- no one can deny that Mr. Kerry is as guilty as anyone of keeping us looking backward instead of forward. To the extent his doing so has allowed the actions perpetuated by him 30+ years ago to be highlighted, thereby giving a forum for those hurt by those actions and perhaps some closure for them, then I say it's a good thing. But I will continue to challenge publications like yours who blithely state that the Swift Boat Vets have perpetuated untruths when it is they who have done the greatest service to this country in this election, and that is to tell (or attempt to tell anyone who would truly listen) exactly whom it is who wishes to be leader of this country.

No doubt this will get the same response as all others -- nothing.
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going to start sending letters to papers, perhaps a short discussion of style is in order. I've been sending letters to the editor for about 15 years with a high print percentage and learned some things along the way.

1. Be respectful. Do not fall to the temptation of insulting the paper or who ever you are responding to. This greatly reduces your chance of being printed and casts a pall over the rest of your points, no matter how reasonable.

2. Remember your target audience. If you are writing to the paper alone, you don't need to be printed. If you want to reach the readers, you need to be printed, so lay your argument out in a reasonable way. Don't force the reader to agree with you, make him want to.

3. If the paper has titles for each letter, find a way to include a "hook" in your letter. If the editor can see the title in his mind's eye while reading your letter, you're half way home to being printed.

4. Let the letter set for at least 4 hours after you write it, then reread it. You will often find that you can use other language to better state your point and some points that were in your head may not have been put down.

5. I have to add one more, stay on message. Pick a central theme and stick to it.

Hope this is some help.
WebTalk
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to focus on real issues
Santa Maria Times
Sunday, September 19, 2004

I wonder why they feel that way?
I think the "real issues" have been the focus, unless they are saying it's
time for the Kerry campaign to "FOCUS".
But we all know there is NO focus in camp Kerry. It's all nuance.

The "real issue" is who is fit to command our nation in this historic
time of war. Who will deal with the harsh realities of protecting the
American people? One candidate has a record of batting 1000%
the past 3 years. The other also has a record of leadership in
the Senate the past 20 years.

It's really not that difficult. Is it?
Steadfast leadership vs nuance.
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be the 'Letters to the Editor' editor for the Raleigh News and Observer and I am incensed at what I see written in the Santa Maria Times and other newspapers. My current crusade is to write letters of response, telling the truth wherever I see it lacking. Thank you, Me#1You#10, for the heads up on the Google alert feature.

Here is my letter (first time posting here -- I am very grateful for what you all are doing!)

Editor, Santa Maria Times

I appreciate your piece (9/19) urging both presidential campaigns to address issues of current and urgent import to our country and the world. You are right: This is exactly what is needed.

The Republican campaign has been doing this right along while the Democrats, who began their campaign by focusing their convention on John Kerry's 4 months in Viet Nam, are still there. They have yet to come into the 21st Century on the issues.

These are the facts, should you care to look into them:

1) President George W. Bush has never criticized Senator John Kerry's service in Viet Nam; in fact, he has praised Sen. Kerry's service. John Kerry has criticized George Bush's service in the Texas Air National Guard several times over, accusing him of 'draft dodging' and thereby insulting everyone who has ever and is now serving in our country's National Guard.

2) The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth is a non-partisan group, and not an arm of the Republican Party. Its president, John O'Neill actually voted for Al Gore in the last election. The 60 members of SBVT cited in the book 'Unfit for Command' served with John Kerry in Viet Nam longer than his 'band of brothers' he brought to the Democratic Convention stage some of whom knew him for no longer than one week and one of whom knew him for one day!

3) By no stretch of the imagination can any of the statements of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth about John Kerry's 4-month 'tour of duty' in Viet Nam be said to have been 'mostly proven false'. In fact, the Kerry campaign itself has admitted that two of their charges are true, i.e. that Kerry was never in Cambodia and that his first Purple Heart was received from a self-inflicted wound. I have yet to see any member of the news media examine fairly and in depth the charges brought by the SBVT as they have done with President Bush's TANG records. Where is the AP on this? Why aren't they suing for John Kerry to sign Form 180 and release all his records? George W. Bush months ago had all his records released under executive order.

My uncle received a Purple Heart in WWII -- posthumously. My uncle was killed in action on Okinawa for his Purple Heart. He was 25 years old and left a widow and two little boys. All my growing up years, his Purple Heart was displayed proudly beneath his photograph in the uniform of the United States Army in my grandparents' home -- my grandparents, who were immigrants to the United States. Their only son died for my freedom, for your freedom, for John Kerry's freedom.

Honor his memory and the memory of all those who have fought and died and been seriously wounded in the service of our country. Get your facts straight and tell the truth about John Kerry!
Otis
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Google alerts Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:

Actually they're fed to me by Google "alerts", and I'd encourage all to utilize that feature.

What Search Items and Types do you use? I'd like to start using Google Alerts too.

Thanks.
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My letter--

"Is anyone surprised that the presidential campaigns have become mired in events that occurred three decades ago?

First, Republicans took a crack at Democrat John Kerry through a group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, whose claim is that Kerry, a decorated officer who volunteered and served briefly in the Vietnam war, lied about his service record and didn't deserve his medals.

Those charges have mostly been proved false by the facts of the case."

Would you care to offer the least evidence of truth of this assertion? It seems to me that it is Kerry's accounts of Vietnam are in grave doubt- including his claim of the first and third Purple Hearts, the account of killing a wounded, fleeing VC, and Christmas in Cambodia.

Do you think that it is important to have any proof of the assertions one makes, especially in the venue of public trust?

Sincerely,
Wynne
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn wrote:
My letter--

"Is anyone surprised that the presidential campaigns have become mired in events that occurred three decades ago?

Those charges have mostly been proved false by the facts of the case."

Would you care to offer the least evidence of truth of this assertion? It seems to me that it is Kerry's accounts of Vietnam are in grave doubt- including his claim of the first and third Purple Hearts, the account of killing a wounded, fleeing VC, and Christmas in Cambodia.

Do you think that it is important to have any proof of the assertions one makes, especially in the venue of public trust?

Sincerely,

drjohn, your letter is especially apropos, given today's statement from CBS/Dan Rather saying how 'important' it is to CHECK FACTS prior to airing a story and how SORRY they are they didn't do it. <puke> You'd think anybody in the media now might be a just a little scared to say any old thing to support their bias without CHECKING FACTS first
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: