SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Burkett Interview: Scenarios

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: The Burkett Interview: Scenarios Reply with quote

To me, the most shocking aspect of Bill Burkett's military career is that he was only a Lt. Col. when he retired. Normally anyone who is that out of touch with reality finds themselves with at least two stars by time they are done.

By all appearances, the guy is simply unhinged, bitter and completely lacking in integrity. So, it is a bit tough to guess what he will say during his interview with Dan Rather (also apparently unhinged), so I put together a few scenarios of how he and Rather might handle everything. Not sure which are the most likely in some different areas:

WHERE THE DOCUMENTS CAME FROM

* Burkett will confess to having "reconstructed the documents", but explain they were based on documents he pulled out of the trash.
* Burkett will confess, but justify his actions because of the number of people we are losing in Iraq.
* Burkett will say that he got them from another source -- but will not reveal them.
* Burkett will admit he invented them out of the whole cloth and he understands how badly he hurt many people -- especially Dan Rather and John Kerry.

COORDINATION WITH THE KERRY CAMPAIGN

* Burkett will not let himself be the patsy. He will name names.
* Burkett will be a good soldier and won't rat up. Will provide Kerry cover for his involvement.

DAN RATHER IN THE INTERVIEW

* Rather will go after Burkett hard and angry at being lied to and having his legacy tarnished [again].
* Rather will get Burkett to admit whatever he is going to admit and then push Burkett to support the "documents fake/story true" party line.

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time over the last two weeks that CBS announced that they will make an announcement, I assumed that CBS would FINALLY do "the right thing".

Every time, have been amazed at the stupidity and obfuscation.

Though it would be nice to think that this time, CBS will somehow find a way to something close to "doing the right thing", I'll not be holding my breath (GRIN).
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Rather is in it up to his ears. He cannot turn on Burkett because he in turn would simply implicate Rather. They cannot admit the documents are forgeries, even though any simple-minded fool can see they are, due to potential market loss. Remember, Dan lied about being a Marine when he actually served only 44 days and quit before finishing bootcamp. Remember the scandalous 1982 Westmoreland smear. Remember the 1988 use of mentally ill individuals to smear Vietnam veterans, knowing well that none served in Vietnam. Finally, remember the use of forgeries to smear the president. Clearly, Dan has a pattern and we should tell CBS we've had enough of his lies and deception.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: