SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wisdom of Dick Cheney as VP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
volosong
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Wisdom of Dick Cheney as VP? Reply with quote

First of all, I have no problem with Mr. Cheney serving as vice president nor, heaven forbid, he is called upon to serve as our president because of some unspeakable tragedy.

That said, I have been wondering about something and if the GOP is approaching the "problem" the right way.

Mr. Cheney has stated that he has no desire to run for president after Mr. Bush's two terms come to an end. He also has a well documented medical history which may be the prime reason for his decision. As such, he will not be a GOP presidental candidate in 2008. Good enough, his choice.

Since, quite often, the VP slot is usually one of the "front runners" in an election when the sitting president cannot run again, is the Republican party making a mistake in not having a Bush running mate who would be in a strong running position come 2008? As I see it now, when Bush and Cheney step down, there is nobody waiting in the wings (at this moment). No "heir apparent", so to speak. However runs will be up against Senator Clinton. Shouldn't the GOP be grooming someone now?

Just wondering . . . as I have not seen this addressed anywhere before.

- - - - -

edited to correct spelling of Mr. Cheney's name.

Last edited by volosong on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
RobD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudi, Rudi, Rludi.
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudy might be pretty electable. But unless he does a rather convincing about-face on gun control and some other Republican-in-Name-Only issues, IMO he wouldn't be a very beneficial president.

I'm Libertarian rather than Republican, but Rudy would exacerbate my misgivings about voting Republican.

As it is, Republicans are slightly closer to Libertarian views than Democrats, but the closer Republicans get to Democrats, the bigger inclination to 'protest vote' Libertarian.

I usually vote Libertarian, but this time am siding with Bush. However, if the Republicrats become even more identical to the Demopublicans, there won't be any reason NOT to vote Libertarian.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Rudi Reply with quote

RobD wrote:
Rudi, Rudi, Rludi.

I think Rudi would be an excellent choice, unless the Libertarians come up with someone better.............Rudi will have my vote.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudi is perhaps the most electable Republican candidate.
Arnold would be more electable is the Constitution didn't have the natural born citizen clause.
So I guess Rudi is it.
I'd vote for Rudi in a heartbeat.
Jim T.
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but by my count, only one VP has been elected president at the end of his running mates term for at least 40 years (I will let you figure out who that was. Hint: He has the last name as out current President). That said, I think the fact that W has stayed with Dick Cheney (yes that is how we spell it) shows that he is more interested in getting the job done than whith what is considered (mistakenly, in my opinion) politically expedient. In short (since my blood pressure is way to high) Dick Cheney is a man of great wisdom and intelect (this is clearly shown in no better way than his choice of marital mate). He has served in and out of government for the past 50 years with great distinction (don't forget he was the Sec. of Defense during the Gulf War in 1991, I think that was the war Kerry voted against but supports today). I for one can think of no better person to serve in that post for the next 4 years (PERIOD).
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With you all the way, Jim T!

Dick Cheney is extremely smart, steady, courageous, honorable, supportive of the President, some of the best counsel possible and a fine representative of our country.

He has also worked tirelessly even though he has had serious health problems. I want someone that good on our team.

I'm confident that a few viable candidates will emerge over the next four years. But, right now, the most important thing is to get rid of the possibility that the Traitor Kerry can ever be elected.

For every time the moonbats have uttered the word "Halliburton," we need to say "Colliers International" and "Sold out POW/MIA's" The difference is that there'll actually be something to it when we mention company connections. Wink
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheney staying on as VP is a no brainer in my opinion. Sure their are other people who could come in and do the jon, but how well could they replace Cheney?
Concern over 2008 is a minor and almost irrelevant point right now. A lot can change in 4 years. As far as who is being "groomed", there seems to be pretty good list of names mentioned right now, not many of wich need much in the way of grooming.
Let's worry about seeing that Kerry loses and loses big!
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Rudi is perhaps the most electable Republican candidate.
Arnold would be more electable is the Constitution didn't have the natural born citizen clause.
So I guess Rudi is it.
I'd vote for Rudi in a heartbeat.

Here is a Y2K Rudy campaign position quote--

http://www.issues2000.org/Celeb/Rudy_Giuliani_Gun_Control.htm

"I do not think the government should cut off the right to bear arms. My position for many years has been that just as a motorist must have a license, a gun owner should be required to have one as well. Anyone wanting to own a gun should have to pass a written exam that shows that they know how to use a gun, that they’re intelligent enough and responsible enough to handle a gun. Should both handgun and rifle owners be licensed...we’re talking about all dangerous weapons."

The guy's not talking about a course/test for a concealed carry license. He's talking about a Gun Ownership license. How yer gonna effectively license gun owners without also registering the guns, would be a puzzle.

Ya might as well vote for Kerry or Hillarity on gun issues. Rudy also has RINO positions on many other issues.

Unless Rudy starts re-orienting his positions real soon, to give him some credibility, a few percent of otherwise Republican voters would split to Constitution Party, and another few percent of voters splitting Libertarian (depending on how authoritarian the voters' attitudes on social issues). IMO that few percent would be enough bleed to give Democrats an edge in 2008.

=====

I'm quite happy with Cheney. It was a wise choice.

For 2004, perhaps the only smarter thing to do, would have been to move Cheney to Chief of Staff, Defense Secretary, or Secretary of State, and then run a Bush-Condi Rice ticket.

A Bush-Rice ticket would severely skew fence-sitter Democrat women and minorities, causing an incredible landslide. Kerry would be lucky to even win Massachusetts.
volosong
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said from the outset, I have no problem with Cheney serving honorably as he has done in the past. And yes, we need to take care of the current situration first. I'm feeling pretty confident at the daily self-implosion going on with one of the political parties these days.

I also don't think that Rudy will unite the party as much as someone a little further to the right. He may be the best choice, however. Nobody, on either end of the political spectrum has a realistic chance of being elected in this country. Just look at the examples of Goldwater, and most likly Mrs. Clinton. Both are just too far out from the center to be a consensus candidate acceptable to moderates. BTW, Arnold is a RINO also. How else could he get elected in an increasingly Demo state? (despite the incompetency of "Gumby" as we called the prev gov.) Best things that Arnold has done for the state is get the budget under control (somewhat) and put his foot down on giving illegals a driver's licence.

I would just love to see the GOP put Dr. Rice up. The party of Lincoln and the party that got civil rights pushed through congress in the '60s would sure show the world something by having a presidential candidate who was not only the first woman to run for the office but also the first black. She would do a great job too! Now, if we can only get her to run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: