SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with facts of American withdrawl from Vietnam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Need help with facts of American withdrawl from Vietnam Reply with quote

I need to know what happened when America pulled out of Vietnam.

Any links where I could read about it or just some basic facts would be helpful.

For instance how many people died and who were they killed by.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deborah,
There are film archives for sure, especially about the fall of Saigon. We watched a lot of the reports on TV at the time. Sorry I can't give you a site. I am sure someone here will now. Good luck. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a book that is hard to find by a former CIA spook. It is called "Decent Interval". It is an honest and difficult accounting of the final months of the Thieu government in Viet Nam.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0700612130/103-5505184-3887010?v=glance

I see it on Amazon and the people who bought this book also bought links look like enough information to educate me.

Thanks a bunch.

- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some short answers I need are:

How many people died as a result of the US pulling out?
How many more were put in camps?
How many POW/MIAs were left behind?
How many were never accounted for?
What was Kerry doing in 75?

- Winston Churchill
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that there are good answers to most of your questions.

Taking the last one first, John Kerry was probably in law school in 1975. He graduated from law school in 1976

How many died as a result of the US pulling out? In the roughly two years between the US withdrawal and fall of Saigon, I suspect the death toll on the South Vietnamese side was well over 10,000. If one adds in the refugees who died at sea, and those who died in "re education camps" then the figure would be yet higher. Who has figures for these deaths? When do you stop counting?

Several thousands were put into camps after the fall of Saigon. I don't know if the current Vietnamese government has ever provided figures on this or if figures from such a source could be considered reliable. I don't know how you could get reliable figures from any other source.

It is the official position of both the US and current Vietnamese government that all POWs have been accounted for and none were left behind. There is a lot of information to contradict that, but if one rejects the truth of that position, how do you get to a different number? I don't know.
wally626
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmackto wrote:
Some short answers I need are:

How many people died as a result of the US pulling out?
How many more were put in camps?
How many POW/MIAs were left behind?
How many were never accounted for?
What was Kerry doing in 75?

According to http://jim.com/Repression.htm 2.5 millions out of a total population of 22 million were placed in camps and about 100,000 were formally executed in the years 1975 to 1985. It did not list the total number of deaths. I have read accounts of westerners who were trapped in the south after the fall and the camps were very rough so many could have died in them. Of course in cambodia 1 to 2 more milllion died.

Note Kerry predicted at most 3000 executions
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly what I needed. Thank you.

I've just fininshed a post referring to what happened when this country last listened to Kerry's forgein policy advice...

If you guys wouldn't mind, please take a look and let me know if there are any inaccuracies. I'd really appreciate it.

- Winston Churchill
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good dmackto. Well done. Concise and to the point. Several points actually.
I've sent it to several friends that need to see as much of the truth as I can feed em.

Dusty
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Laughing

This is from part of a write up I did awhile back on my blog.

Quote:
So to conclude,
This Is The House That John Kerry Built,
and it doesn't look like he wants to tear it down any time soon.

"Vietnam is one of the most tightly controlled societies in the world," reports Freedom House, the human rights monitor. "The regime jails or harasses most dissidents, controls all media, sharply restricts religious freedom, and prevents Vietnamese from setting up independent political, labor, or religious groups."

"They beat the demonstrators, including children," one eyewitness told Human Rights Watch. "People's arms and legs were broken, their skulls cracked. Children were separated from their parents. Near Ea Knir bridge, two people were killed." Other witnesses told of protesters being blinded with tear gas, then handcuffed, taken away, and never seen again. Some Montagnards were tortured. Human Rights Watch mentions two who were tied up and hung over a fire until their limbs were scorched.”

"The best and brightest and bravest people in Vietnam are in prison, persecuted by the government for their opinions or their faith. And you don't do people who are suffering immeasurable cruelty any kindness by aiding a dictatorship."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: