SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microchip or some such thing imbedded on People in Iraq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azTrish
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Microchip or some such thing imbedded on People in Iraq Reply with quote

My Husband thinks I am nuts but.

Is there such a device that can be used to track someone and if so, how long does such a thing's signal last ??

Can the Contractors or Military at least offer people in Iraq in danger of being taken hostage to have some such device embedded under their skin to be able to track and hunt down the terrorists like the dogs they are.

I mean it would be great to suprise these _____ _____'s not ever letting out how they were found of course, so they can wonder the consequences the next attempt would hold for them.

Or at least do it as some sort of setup to catch them.

I know, I know, I have read too many Tom Clancy novels but he always seems so much in the know. But I can just picture their suprise when they are found and swooped apon!!

Trish
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like a good idea at first, but allowing the gov't to track you through an imbedded microchip would end up causing major civil rights issues - not a good thing in a country that is striving for freedom and democracy. It's a slippery slope. Why not just implant a chip in everybody? Then the gov't could keep an eye on everyone, including militants. It would be easy to convince people that it's a great idea, especially with all the violence and chaos going on right now. The problem is that it would be way too easy for the gov't to abuse this power. Do you see the "Big Brother" connection?

For this scenerio, it's better to listen to George Orwell - not Tom Clancy.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better microchip would be one that sent an Islamofascist into a Burkett-style pseudoseizure whenever they had any violent, terrorist thoughts.
jim_nyc
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of the same thing azTrish.

They have one for automobiles...called LoJack.

I "think" it's a viable idea. Give them some of the prisoners they want but first implant the chip. Track them to terrorists.

Science Fiction....????.....Hmmmmm????
Se7eN
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the technology is already being used with parenting. I would opt for it were I to work in Iraq. If it's by choice, I don't see an issue with it.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Se7eN wrote:
I think the technology is already being used with parenting. I would opt for it were I to work in Iraq. If it's by choice, I don't see an issue with it.

If I were working in Iraq you better believe I'd want that chip put in me. Two of them in case they found one. I'd swallow a bag of them for breakfast.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bluesteele
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: tracking device Reply with quote

I just read recently about cell phone technology that some employers/corps are using that allows them to track the employee via some sort of GPS. Could not these folks that are likely to be captured have at least the same advantage? whether it be a microchip or a personal locater device, there's got to be some solution. If it's such a violation of a person's right to privacy, how are private employers here getting away with making employees carry "tracking" cell phones? It seems that if the employee consents to such tracking, let's let 'em do it and catch the terrorists--all's fair in...
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a little like Clockwork Orange. That would be even better--catching terrorists and brainwashing them to get extremely sick if they ever think a violent thought. Cool.
But I see your point, inserting a tiny microchip to keep tabs on them, would make for good targeting if needed later.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Technology does exsist, they use it in Pets here in the U.S.. A tiny GPS Transponders is inserted into the animal and if lost it is turned on like Lo Jack.
Would be a worthwhile device for our Troops as well, once they get past testing for human use.
Yes the Civil Liberties people would freak out about it, but if voluntary or as a condition of Military Service, that would settle that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: