SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We just swapped a prisoner to appease terrorists demand??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bergstrom79
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: We just swapped a prisoner to appease terrorists demand?? Reply with quote

Can't even begin to tell you how MAD I am at this. This move just put more people's lives in jeopardy (that work in the middle east).

The Iraqi "we" released is a female scientist according to breaking news reports. The Brit presumably will go free in exchange. I'm glad he's freed, but this is a dangerous precedent. It gives these killers bargaining chips to play with.

Last edited by bergstrom79 on Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohmigod, no!!!!!!!

What are we doing?????? This is worse than the beheadings - much worse!

Off to go try to find some news.

I can't believe we'd do this!
bergstrom79
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard it on KRLD radio, Dallas, that MSNBC had reported it. Just heard on CBS *radio* (don't watch cBS tv anymore) that the Iraqi will soon be released. Her nick was "Dr Germ" apparently.

Bad move, man...BAAD move. For every one unfortunate family that had to go thru this, there will be many, many more from here on. The press release was that the Iraqi's made the decision to release her....You'd think it had to be with our blessings.

Bad move.
bergstrom79
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should have cleaned out Fallujah and Najaf to be done with these guys long ago. It's time to lock down and wipe them out. NOW.
bergstrom79
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/09/22/iraq.female.prisoners/

It's all preliminary, but it appears teh Iraqi's want to release her....The US stance is "wait a minute, let's think about this".......I hope "we" win the struggle on this.

Last edited by bergstrom79 on Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ?SITE=NJMOR&SECTION=HOME

Note: So far it doesn't look like it's US thats releasing her, she even is released.
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is in US custody and we have not released her, acording to the state department we werent planning to.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3678794.stm
Quote:
However, the US state department said it did not know of any such plans.

The BBC's Caroline Hawley in Baghdad says that although Ms Taha comes under the Iraqi judicial system, she is physically in the custody of the US which would have to have a role in her release.

bergstrom79
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate being one to jump the gun, but I hope I did just that. Embarrassing to post up bogus info, but the reports on the radio stated she'd be freed.

I can imagine what the BBC is doing right about now with this story....

Both al Jezeera and the San Jose Mercury Times headilenes are reporting this woman is to be freed. I hope they're full of S.

http://www.aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/news_service/middle_east_full_story.asp?service_id=4992

Iraqi female prisoner to be freed
9/22/2004 7:51:00 AM

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/9727601.htm
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that CNN story we dont have any prisoners and this woman might not even be in Iraq anymore.

Quote:
U.S. officials said they are not holding any women in prisons in Iraq. One official said 45 women have been held in Abu Ghraib prison since the start of detainee operations in July 2003, but all have been released.

However, the United States is holding the two women scientists, categorized as "high-value detainees," in an undisclosed location, the official said, describing both as former high-level members of Saddam Hussein's government. They are suspected of participating in the former Iraqi leader's chemical and biological weapons program, the official said

This reminds me of the one newspaper in Iraq that reported it found a bunch of missiles and when we went over to the location there was nothing. i think an Iraqi official goofed up. neither Blair or Bush would appease insurgents by releasing captives. it would only encourage the terrorists.
JCBoston
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox is reporting it as true.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133103,00.html

Seems it is being done to appease the Brits. This is a very very bad move.
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she is released Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked then it may be the start of an all out cleaning out of Fallujah and the rest.
So it is either to get some deal going with the terrorists to stop this sort of thiing.. like a good faith thing Confused or it is all guns to fire. We don't hear eveything that's going on. As I said before we all were made 'soldiers' on 911. I say take them all out now. They think they saw shock and awe??? God this is so bad. Crying or Very sad CTW

Never Ever Kerry
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bergstrom79 wrote:
Both al Jezeera and the San Jose Mercury Times headilenes are reporting this woman is to be freed. I hope they're full of S.

Al Jazeera? Full of S.? No way! Wink
Chuck Z Ombie AC2000
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we wont release Dr Germ

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3680120.stm

Quote:
US 'will not free' Iraq scientist

Mr Hensley's death has not been formally confirmed
The US has dismissed reports from Iraq's justice ministry that one of two female scientists held in a US-run prison was to be released.
A US source told the BBC that both prisoners were in the physical and legal custody of the Americans and would not be freed imminently.

Militants have reportedly killed two American hostages and are threatening to kill a third, Briton Kenneth Bigley.

They had demanded the release of all Iraqi women held in US-run prisons.

The US says it is only holding two women prisoners - Rihab Rashid Taha and Huda Salih Mahdi Ammash - that it has no knowledge of any plan to release them.

The UK government told the BBC there was no request by anyone at any level in the government for the women to be freed.

"That would be tantamount to dealing with terrorists," a Downing Street spokesman said.

'Not a threat'

The first US hostage, American engineer Eugene Armstrong, 52, was killed on Monday and 24 hours later the group claimed to have killed a second American, Jack Hensley.

A decapitated body, thought to be that of Mr Hensley, has been found in Baghdad, but it has not been formally identified.

Iraq's Justice Minister Malik al-Hassan told the BBC that he supported the release of Ms Taha, a biological weapons scientist nicknamed Dr Germ.

He said the release would be part of a review of her detention and was not linked to the kidnappers' demands.

Ms Taha is said to have carried out top-secret work during the 1980s on germs that cause botulism poisoning and anthrax infections.

The second woman, Ms Ammash, "may be released soon", the Iraqi justice ministry said.

She is a biotech researcher known as Mrs Anthrax and Chemical Sally, who was on the US military's list of the 55 most-wanted members of Saddam Hussein's regime.

An Iraqi spokesman said Ms Taha was no longer considered a threat to national security.

British family's hope

The family of hostage Kenneth Bigley, 62, earlier welcomed news of the proposed prisoner release.

Mr Bigley's brother Paul told BBC radio: "Hopefully they [the kidnappers] will pick this up on the media, and show that they have a gram of decency in them by releasing Ken."

The three hostages were kidnapped on Thursday by militants claiming to be from the Tawhid and Jihad group, headed by al-Qaeda suspect Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. The group claims to have killed at least six hostages in Iraq.

Gruesome video footage was released on Monday showing Mr Armstrong being killed by a masked man - said by the CIA to be Mr Zarqawi. Mr Armstrong's body was later recovered.

"The British prisoner will get the same fate if the British government doesn't do what it has to," said a statement on an Islamist website.

More than 100 foreigners have been abducted in Iraq over the past 17 months, as part of efforts to destabilise the US-backed interim government and to drive out foreign troops.

They include two French journalists who were abducted last month and two female Italian aid workers who were seized with two Iraqi colleagues on 7 September.

Tawhid and Jihad is considered to be the most ruthless of the hostage-takers.

PS
That Fox news story is really an Ap story. AP in latin means CBS
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prisoner released is none other than Doctor Death herself.
Saddam's bioweapons expert. What are these appeasment weasels thinking. The only thing that will come out of this is an increase in the kidnappings and beheadings.
I thought that the official policy was "NEVER GIVE IN TO TERRORIST DEMANDS !!!!!!"
What appeasment weasel is responsible for this?
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox new is reporting now that she is not being released.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: