SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why can we not find these hostages?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be the state of the art for commercially available gps tracking product...

http://www.digitalangelcorp.com/about_pressreleases.asp?RELEASE_ID=64
Detective
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, another great post from you.Boggles the mind that companies operating in the AO of the Middle East are not using this relatively inexpensive,reliable,spot on tracking devices in/on their employees.
Actually, I am sending out this information to my international clients and wondering also about becoming a vendor of these devices.I'm preparing the letter as we speak.If I make a buck I will not forget you for the idea.My word is my honor.
GeorgiaBoy
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccr wrote:
You people have been watching too many sci-fi movies.

You can't lojack a human or a cat with a device that can be hidden within the body -- yet.

No, but you can place an RF chip in them and make searching for them a whole lot easier and safer. RF chips are now smaller than a postage stamp.
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detective wrote:
Dave, another great post from you.Boggles the mind that companies operating in the AO of the Middle East are not using this relatively inexpensive,reliable,spot on tracking devices in/on their employees.
Actually, I am sending out this information to my international clients and wondering also about becoming a vendor of these devices.I'm preparing the letter as we speak.If I make a buck I will not forget you for the idea.My word is my honor.

good luck!
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccr wrote:
You people have been watching too many sci-fi movies.

You can't lojack a human or a cat with a device that can be hidden within the body -- yet.

Not true. There are pills you can swallow and a satellite can register where you are from nothing more then that. And yes they are passive and emit no signal. It is impossible to capture and hold an American special ops person. As such, we should treat the civilians the same way.
a6502
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this instead.

I have been trying to get this idea to Those Who Matter, but to no avail.

Security cameras, on highly visible poles. Just like in the parking lot at the airport.

Advantages -

1) Cheap - A pole, camera, and transmitter.
2) Visible - 99.9% of the battle is psychological.
3) You can rewind, find the 'bad guy' who left the IED that just blew up/kidnapped the 'ggod guy' etc., then follow them to where they are now.
4) A dummy camera looks JUST LIKE the real thing, and people will THINK that they are under scrutiny until we can field more cameras.
5) Overall crime will go down as a result. No kidding - check out Bellvue, Wa.
6) Cameras don't bleed. Recorders don't sleep.

This would work, deployed in the bad sectors.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of Mexicans in the Mexico CIty area that have been "getting chipped", because of the kidnapping "business" that has been going on there.
For different stories about it, here's my google..
http://tinyurl.com/4n7ll
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great ideas here.

Every day I read in here I am more and more amazed at the brain trust that resides here.

I hope our military and civilian contractors have some of these things in the works.
JCJR
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to believe there is a tiny pill or implantable passive device that can be tracked via satellite, but suspect it is beyond current technology, and perhaps beyond FEASIBLE technology (for the forseeable future).

Even the 'long range' passive RFID devices have effective ranges measured in feet rather than miles. Such devices have strip antennas several inches long. Not impossible to implant, but it would hurt and perhaps leave a nasty scar.

The 'long range' passive RFID gadgets are severely attenuated by fluids, and don't perform well embedded in things like beverage bottles. If the fluid in a bottle impedes the range-- This class of gadget embedded in a mostly-water human, who is hidden inside a house (or worse, a basement), it would be very discouraging to scan from the street, even right outside the house.

Think about the challenges of a satellite scan-- The satellite must transmit an awesomely powerful pulse, to deliver energy over a distance of a hundred miles, which is sufficient to power the RFID.

Also, the satellite receiver must have sufficient gain to detect the puny reply pulse. It is very difficult and expensive to make an amplifier with much better signal-to-noise ratio than 120 dB. I won't bother calculating the power loss of a puny RFID reply at a 100 mile distance, but will 'go out on a limb' and predict that the reply signal will be hopelessly buried in noise, even if the satellite receiver can perform at theoretical maximum gain.

Maybe it would work if yer satellite antenna is as big as the Arecibo radio telescope.

Unless the satellite uses a 'selective query code' (only requesting a small subset of RFID replies), any satellite scanning pulse would receive thousands of reply pulses. How the heck will it pinpoint any one of those replies, within a range smaller than a few miles?

=====

In an first-world urban area, you could probably get something workable by leveraging cellphone towers rather than a satellite system. But is some hellhole like Fallujah gonna have an adequate cellphone net? If you install such a net, the jerks will just use the towers for RPG target practice. Couldn't keep it running.

And what if they take the hostage out into the burbs or the desert? Are ya gonna put networked scanners at 1 mile spacing over the entire country?

RFID privacy objectors worry about a USA where every streetcorner has a networked scanner. Such a system is technically feasible, and would allow perfect tracking of everybody and everything, at least until somebody leaves the city limits (GRIN).
WayCool
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RF would work I think... I mean.. you would need to replace the battery every few days though...

There are currently transmitters used for Falconry (telemetry) that weigh less than 5 grams... and use a hairlike antenna... See here...

http://www.marshallradio.com/falconry/fproducts_transmitters.asp

Only issue with using so many would be having eough unique frequencies for all the people over there...

Reception on a small RF transmitter is quite far given line of sight (i.e. from a helicopter or airplane). It would not take long to locate them...

Last edited by WayCool on Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the potential answers to the battery replacement issue...

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99995091
GeorgiaBoy
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WayCool wrote:
RF would work I think... I mean.. you would need to replace the battery every few days though...

There are currently transmitters used for Falconry (telemetry) that weigh less than 5 grams... and use a hairlike antenna... See here...

http://www.marshallradio.com/falconry/fproducts_transmitters.asp

Only issue with using so many would be having eough unique frequencies for all the people over there...

Reception on a small RF transmitter is quite far given line of sight (i.e. from a helicopter or airplane). It would not take long to locate them...

Batteries are not needed with RFID, the power comes from the RF signal of the reader. Agreed it most likely is not available with satellite abilities. However, there is significant enough range to search the interiors of buildings without risking the lives of troops who normally would have to search the structure. I have seen RFID that is flat, no longer than 2" long and 1/4" wide (including antennae). I have also seen them washed in industrial laundries and still work fine.

Last edited by GeorgiaBoy on Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: we need bait ... Reply with quote

I would suggest we go after these guys the same way we go after "johns" in the red light districts ...

Have a couple of "contractors" (actually SF's guys) set up shop but have them under constant surviellance with hit teams within close proximity ...

Wait for the bad guys to try a snatch, do a reverse snatch ... let Iraqi "police" wire up any guys we catch get some fast intell and hit the nest of bad guys waiting for them ...

Yes VERY dangerous for the fake contractors, but I'm pretty sure the list of volunteers would be pretty long ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: