SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iraq Is Not Viet Nam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Iraq Is Not Viet Nam Reply with quote

John Kerry just yesterday evoked this thought, that the war in Iraq is worse than Viet Nam.

If I recall correctly all of the Vietnames were not in favor of a divided country. Iraq on the other hand. ad least more than 80% of Iraqis, desire to be free. Iraq is not pushing forth terrorism as a way of life, unlike Viet Nam where the politics was communism.

Iraq was the victim of a tyrant in Saddam Hussein. They are fighting for freedom not ideology. I believe this stark difference separates the Iraq War from the Viet Nam War. Further, we can win this war because the people want to.
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Iraq Is Not Viet Nam Reply with quote

doll wrote:
Further, we can win this war because the people want to.

X-Ring!
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: ... but watchout for the French Reply with quote

The real root of the VietNam war was French colonialism. They had a great thing going for them prior to WW II and wanted to return to that position after the war. The French did almost NOTHING to improve the infrastructure of VietNam while they were in control - few schools, hospitals, powerplants, etc.. (The Brits did a great job of infrastructure building and education in their colonies.)

We got initially got involved in VietNam to try and help the French because we thought they were our allies from WW II. The "domino-effect" reasoning came later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ... but watchout for the French Reply with quote

air_vet wrote:
The real root of the VietNam war was French colonialism. They had a great thing going for them prior to WW II and wanted to return to that position after the war. The French did almost NOTHING to improve the infrastructure of VietNam while they were in control - few schools, hospitals, powerplants, etc.. (The Brits did a great job of infrastructure building and education in their colonies.)

We got initially got involved in VietNam to try and help the French because we thought they were our allies from WW II. The "domino-effect" reasoning came later.

Thanks for the history lesson! Smile So much for the French.... Sad
300zxuser
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, when I was in the bush in the Nam, the last thing on my mind, especially when bullets were flying was politics. When one is in a firefight, you kind of forget where you are, and why you are there, all you think about is how much closer to the ground can I get?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300zxuser wrote:
Gee, when I was in the bush in the Nam, the last thing on my mind, especially when bullets were flying was politics. When one is in a firefight, you kind of forget where you are, and why you are there, all you think about is how much closer to the ground can I get?

You are right about the politics and believe me, speaking for myself, I for one would never undermine the fact that while under fire, politics was the last thing on your mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: