SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mark Hatfield for Bush...Absolutely Extraordinary!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Mark Hatfield for Bush...Absolutely Extraordinary! Reply with quote

For those of us that remember the Vietnam anti-war movement and the years that followed this is mind-boggling and heart-warming. Mark Hatfield was the "only" Senator other than Kerry to vote against the 1st Gulf War. This is akin to George McGovern endorsing Bush.

http://www.oregonlive.com/commentary/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/editorial/109594063089030.xml

He now says:

Quote:
Mark O. Hatfield: For me, choice for president is clear: Bush
Thursday, September 23, 2004

As a young Navy officer in World War II, I was one of the first Americans to see Hiroshima after the atomic bomb was dropped in 1945. That experience lives with me today, and it helped to shape the view I held during my public service career: a view that war is wrong in nearly every circumstance.

As Oregon's governor, I was the only governor in the nation who refused to sign a statement supporting President Johnson's Vietnam War policy.

As a senator, I joined with Sen. George McGovern in an unsuccessful effort to end that war. I was the only senator who voted against both the Democrat and Republican resolutions authorizing the use of force in the 1991 Gulf War.

In my final years in the Senate, I opposed President Clinton's decision to send American troops to Bosnia.

During my 30 years in the Senate, I never once voted in favor of a military appropriations bill.

I know that this record will cause many to wonder why I am such a strong supporter of President Bush and his policy in Iraq. My support is based on the fact that our world changed on Sept. 11, 2001, a day on which we lost more American lives than we did in the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I know from my service in the Senate that Saddam Hussein was an active supporter of terrorism. He used weapons of mass destruction on innocent people and left no doubt that he would do so again. It was crucial to the cause of world peace that he be removed from power.

Having seen atrocious loss in World War II, I understand the devastation of armed conflict. We have paid dearly with American and Iraqi lives for our commitment, but we cannot afford the alternative. Nor can we afford a president who puts a wet finger in the air and turns over his decisions to pollsters.

President Bush has indeed taken heat for his resolve in pursuing the war on terrorism and efforts in Iraq. His steadfastness and resolve in the face of his critics are deserving of praise.

As terrorists continue to plot against our country and our interests, the American people must choose between action and inaction, between security and insecurity.

I believe the choice is clear. I will proudly cast my vote for President George W. Bush.

Mark O. Hatfield served as a Republican U.S. senator from Oregon from 1967 to 1997.

rekcutt
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Hatfield for Bush Reply with quote

It is simply - AMAZING, Hatfield was the 1970's prototype for Kerry, Hell this would be like Lenin supporting Churchill over Stalin.

Kerry can't even holding his old commie buddies.

I hear someone humming - "Turn out the lights, the party's over" in the background.
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW! I never thought I would see the day Shocked
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUTSTANDING!
BS Biology, Business Administration, Nursing
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
!!!!!! LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: