SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fonda apology..Where?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Fonda apology..Where? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a site for the transcript or a video of Hanoi Jane's "apology"? I do not recall what was said at the time. Any critique here of it?
Just watched Stolen Honor.. WOW! and wanted to fill in some info. Thanks. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this

http://www.angelfire.com/nc/n4nck/janeapol.html

LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several sites address the "alleged" apology. Many vets don't buy it. Here is one;

In 1988, some 16 years after her tour of Hanoi when she made her famous radio broadcast and had her picture taken behind the same anti- aircraft guns that were shooting down US pilots, Jane Fonda appeard on 20/20 and was interviewed by Barbara Walters.

Two versions of this interview exist, one an actual transcript, the other a press release.

The transcript reads:
Barbara Walters: "There are still people who . . . I guess feel you have never apologized.
Would you like to just say something to them now?"

Jane Fonda:"Well . . . it's not . . . I would like to say something not just to . . . the Vietnam veterans . . . in New England . . . but . . . to . . . to men who were in Vietnam who . . . who I hurt . . . or who's pain I caused to . . . deepen because of things I said . . . or did . . . I . . . I feel that I owe them an apology . . . my intentions were never to hurt them . . . or to make their situation worse, it was . . . it was the contrary . . . I was trying to help end the war . . . but there were times when I was thoughtless and careless about it and I . . . and I am very sorry . . . that I hurt them . . . and I want to apologize to them and to their families . . . ."

This was released to the media as:

"I would like to say something, not just to Vietnam veterans in New England, but to men who were in Vietnam, who I hurt, or whose pain I caused to deepen because of things that I said or did," Fonda said.
"I was trying to help end the killing and the war, but there were times when I was thoughtless and careless about it and I'm . . . very sorry that I hurt them. And I want to apologize to them and their families
."

In both versions, there is a direct reference to the veterans in New England and this points to the reason for the timing of the apology.

At the time, Fonda was filming "Stanley and Iris" on location in a number of blue-collar New England towns. Production on the movie was being severely disrupted by protesting veterans and this was causing a serious problem for the film. Fonda decided that something had to be done, so she went on 20/20.

http://www.angelfire.com/nc/n4nck/janeapol.html
CTW
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I found this info too and I wondered if there was any more to it or if that was it. Ridiculous if anyone considers that an apology Evil or Very Mad Yeah she just wanted to reduce some heat and get on with her movie. And if she was so anti-war she would have been appalled to see any weapons knowing full well they were targeting American soldiers; she wouldn't have played around with such. She was 35 for goodness sakes!!Nothing she says can refute she loves communism as she prays we all will love it. (barf) She hurt the POWs and all soldiers. And now she says we need to understand the root of the anger towards America?? Shut up! What part of 'We want all Americans dead' does she not understand? I guess she doesn't consider that a threat to her. CTW

Never Ever Kerry
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she was really sorry, she would not have donated $millions to the Kerry 527s. She's just another opportunist without a conscience, using her acting popularity to influence political thought. She's not only NOT SORRY, she's NOT QUALIFIED!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: