SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Texans for Truth in hot water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Texans for Truth in hot water Reply with quote

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2813230

Sept. 25, 2004, 12:43AM

my, my, my, life's too sweet.....

Texans for Truth in hot water
Watchdog groups claim organization violated campaign fund-raising laws
By JOHN FRANK
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - A group of watchdog organizations charged Friday that Texans for Truth, whose TV ads question President Bush's service in the Air National Guard during the Vietnam War, has violated campaign fund-raising laws.

The Washington-based watchdog organizations, Democracy 21, the Campaign Legal Center and the Center for Responsive Politics, made the allegation in a complaint to the Federal Election Commission.

The complaint says Texans for Truth is accepting contributions and running advertisements to influence the presidential race and therefore comes under campaign finance limits, which cap individual contributions at $2,000 from an individual and $5,000 from a political committee.

Texans for Truth has reported a $100,000 contribution from Daniel O'Keefe, a California television producer.

Glenn Smith, a Democratic political consultant who organized Texans for Truth, said Friday that he hadn't seen the complaint and could not comment on its charges.

Smith said most of the group's contributions are small and not representative of the big money already being spent in the election.

Texans for Truth's ads came after another group, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, ran TV ads criticizing Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's Navy service in the Vietnam War.

The watchdog groups have complained to the FEC about the Swift Boat group and other pro-Republican groups. Those complaints are pending.

The complaint filed Friday also alleges that FEC misinterpretation of campaign finance laws has allowed such political advocacy groups to flourish without regulation.

The groups are called 527 organizations, named for a tax code section under which they were formed to avoid campaign reform rules known as the McCain-Feingold law.

Bush has said all political ads by 527 groups should be withdrawn, including the ones that criticize Kerry.

U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and others introduced legislation this week to crack down on 527s.

McCain also said he would push for a revamping of the FEC soon after Nov. 2.
BS Biology, Business Administration, Nursing
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
!!!!!! LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from the article:

Quote:
U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and others introduced legislation this week to crack down on 527s.

Does anyone know what legislation they are talking about?

Frankly, I don't trust Mr. McCain. I was (and still am) very upset when he "denounced" the Swift Boat ads and said they were "disgraceful"! Where was he during Fahrenheit 911, MoveOn.org ads, etc.?

I think that this business of "McCain-Feingold" is just another way to limit our (individual citizens) speech while giving it to the MSM in indirect, sinister ways. . .all the while really being the "incumbant protection plan."
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with your comments regarding McCain.
BS Biology, Business Administration, Nursing
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
!!!!!! LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd gen Navy wrote:
I concur with your comments regarding McCain.

I do now. I used to repsect him greatly, but after his recent comments................ Confused
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bush has said all political ads by 527 groups should be withdrawn, including the ones that criticize Kerry.

What is missing from this picture?

Kerry.

I guess when you are the beneficiary of 87% of the money flowing to 527s, you don't see much need to condemn them.

Unless, of course, they are criticising his lordship.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: McCain-Feingold? Reply with quote

Speaking of campaign-finance "reform", Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin is up for re-election this year. He is only leading his Republican opponent Tim Michels by 6%, and Wisconsin's primary was late this year (Sept. 14). With President Bush leading in the polls in Wisconsin, a strong campaign by Michels and some Bush "coat-tails" might lead to Feingold losing his seat.

McCain is also up for re-election this year, but is heavily favored to win. But if Feingold loses, will McCain find another Democrat to "reform" campaign finance with him, especially when the Democrats have such an advantage in 527 funding?

I doubt it...
wvobiwan
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbie2004 wrote:
Quote from the article:

Quote:

Does anyone know what legislation they are talking about?

Frankly, I don't trust Mr. McCain. I was (and still am) very upset when he "denounced" the Swift Boat ads and said they were "disgraceful"! Where was he during Fahrenheit 911, MoveOn.org ads, etc.?

I think that this business of "McCain-Feingold" is just another way to limit our (individual citizens) speech while giving it to the MSM in indirect, sinister ways. . .all the while really being the "incumbant protection plan."

Absolutely, I've been yelling about McCain/Feingold in my blog for months now. The primary beneficiaries of this law are politicians and the media - they only have each other as truth checkers. Any time the politicians and the leftist media are BOTH in favor of something, it can't be good for us or the country.

REPEAL MCCAIN/FEINGOLD, don't strengthen it. It's only a short hop from 527s to the average net blogger...
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, now, sometimes one ends up repeating one's self, as I am about to do here. McCain is the OIM's darling for good reason: mainly, he is a political opportunist and will readily turn on those to whom he should show loyalty. He is out "campaigning" for the President because he has read the tea leaves and wants to be near the seat of power. He has no ideology, unless his own self-promotion counts as ideology.

"Trey" McCain, Naval Academy grad, son and grandson of Admirals, POW, war hero, well, how can I say anything negative? How dare I question Trey? How insolent of me--that was the general opinion.

When he was running for the Republican nominee and was all the darling of the media, and indeed, most of our Navy friends, I was the lone dissenter against him. Strolling around Coronado Island,CA was revolting during the California primary leading up to 2000--all those McCain signs in every retired rear admiral's yard. Revolting.

So I am glad many are on to old "Trey".

McCain-Feingold is an attempt to limit free speech. It is also an example of shameless media pandering by McCain. If Trey had been around during the Revolution he would have been a Tory, and would have been trying to get Ben Franklin's printing press outlawed before alll those "disgusting" copies of "Common Sense" could be printed.

I dislike McCain personally and politically, and even though it meant not being invited to the "cool people's" cocktail parties for awhile, I stand behind everything I ever said about him. Now that our old Navy friends see it also, I am just--well, at least I refrain from saying "I told you so," and so I should get some brownie points for that.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of drawing fire, I'll defend McCain - partially.

I agree he is somewhat the political opportunist. I also dislike many of his positions - IMO, he was REALLY out to lunch on campaign finance.

However, we could do a whole lot worse than McCain. Just look at those "fine examples of Senatorial talent" from MA (Kerry/Kennedy), CA (Feinstein/Boxer), SD (Daschle), NY (Schumer/Clinton), NJ (Schumer/Torrecelli), IA (Harkin), VT (Jeffords), DE (Biden), NC (Edwards) and WI (Feingold).

As I've said before: the choice in an election is almost never between perfect and mediocre. The choice in an election is almost always between mediocre and spectacularly bad.

Given this fact, I'll opt for mediocre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: