SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me vett this out!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimRobson
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Help me vett this out!!! Reply with quote

It's driving me crazy!!! I am constantly seeing the term "vett out" and I know what it means; to verify etc. and I have even used it in the proper context occasionally, but I would like to know where it comes from. I guess I'm a cultural nerd. If it comes from a TV entertainment or detective show I wouldn't have a clue, never touch the stuff.

TIA

http://www.thewebplace.com/
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dictionary does not give the derivation of "to vet".

However the very first definition given is "to submit an animal to examination or treatment by a veterinary surgeon". The second definition is "to examine or treat a person medically (slang)". The third definition is "to examine carefully and critically for deficiencies or errors; investigate the suitability of a candidate for a post requiring particular loyalty and trustworthiness".

Maybe the third definition has evolved from the first two.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help me vett this out!!! Reply with quote

JimRobson wrote:
It's driving me crazy!!! I am constantly seeing the term "vett out" and I know what it means; to verify etc. and I have even used it in the proper context occasionally, but I would like to know where it comes from. I guess I'm a cultural nerd. If it comes from a TV entertainment or detective show I wouldn't have a clue, never touch the stuff.

TIA

I thought it was a condensed version of "verify etc." maybe a consolidation from abreviations like "v. etc."
I always thought it came from shorthand in the spook services, but i really can't say i can point to anything.
J. Toy
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the source of the word, it sure did get popular all of a sudden with the Rathergate situation.

Another example of how all the lemmings jump on an undiscovered crumb.
ProudDaughterofVet
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Jim, I did some research..(I admit, I love this stuff too!)..anyhoo, seems that it has been used just recently by media and pols here in the US, however, it has been used since the turn of the century in Britain..

Found the info at www.word-detective.com

a real fun site, but I quote the portion I found:

"Vet" has only fairly recently become the Word Du Jour among magazine writers and political pundits in the U.S., which explains why you hear it so often these days. But while "vet" evidently seems exotic to reporters and editorialists on this side of the Atlantic, it has been in standard, albeit informal, use in Britain since the turn of the century.

~ above quote from word-detective.com

Guess we would have to find out from the Brits!! Hope that helps, and thanks for the fun exercise while listening to Drudge tonight...

PD

www.timetotakeastand.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Help me vett this out!!! Reply with quote

JimRobson wrote:

TIA

I tried to get an exact meaning for that term but came up short, other than to verify. At one forum sight I found through googling, which was so leftie and sick (thats why I would not even insult us by giving us the link here) used that term to insult the Presidents budget. They probably were using the term incorrectly anyways...... Rolling Eyes
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more from the Word Detective on the origin

Perhaps the most surprising thing about "vet" is its origin, because it seems almost too simple. "Vet," the verb, like "vet" the noun, is a contraction of "veterinarian," and to "vet" originally meant to have your animal thoroughly examined by a vet.

Confused
JimRobson
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is the place to come for linguistics research. Thanks everyone. I sure got more help than I bargained for. Laughing

I really should have known better myself since I took both of my dogs to the veterinarian this week to have them "vetted". They are both in great shape by the way. Jessie, our Doberman is almost 13 and aside from a little arthritis and very mild cateracts, is fine. And Rinney, the German Shepard you see proudly displayed in my sig., is a 2 year old who has enough energy to keep me, momma and Jessie hopping. He was just in for shots and his annual check up er, I mean vetting.

Come to think of it, some of the stories and documents we have vetted recently are "cats & dogs" (All due respect to the animals)

Thanks all, I can go to bed now and rest well. Very Happy

http://www.thewebplace.com/
ulfie56
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I was thinking the same! You say vet to me and I automatically get out my checkbook. Your boy is beautiful. I have 4 under 2 years of my own.
Smile Bet they wouldn't like Kerry- mine all have good taste.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: