SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing to our military

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clpeters23
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Writing to our military Reply with quote

I went to the soldiers angels site and want to start by writing letters. I need advice on what to say, beyond giving them 100% support. I don't want to bore someone with trivial information.
What can I write that will have the most positive impact?
Cathy
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them stuff that's happening to you. What's going on in your life. How normal your life is. Talk about the movies you've seen, the books you've read, the places you go, the things you do.

Every once in a while, let him/her know that you are thinking of them. Ask for a picture. Send a picture. Send several.

Ask if there is anything he/she needs. Sunglasses, a specific brand of toothbrush, a boar bristle hair brush, teflon razor blades, cough drops. It's the SIMPLE stuff that is hard to get.

Be genuine. Be honest. Don't make any promises you can't keep.

You can't TELL someone that you support them 100%. You have to show it a little.

It doesn't take a whole lot to bring a tear to a GI's eye, if you're from home and you let them know you're happy and feel safer for them being out on the pointy end of the stick for you.

Trust me, they'll understand.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has already completed a year in Iraq, I must echo what Cipher said.

A letter of supprt means a great deal to "Joe" who is out on patrol in downtown Baghdad or Mosul.

You will definitely make someones day when they get you letter, and who knows you may make a new friend.

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Need more advice Reply with quote

I am preparing a package to take to my son's school. His Algebra teacher is a Guardsman and he has a person he sends stuff to in Iraq and then that person distributes it to soldiers in his unit.

So far I have about 30 paperbacks, 3 huge packages of baby wipes (about 400 in each package) and powdered drink stuff, kool-aid, lemonade, tang and pink lemonade. Any other suggestions.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a father of a soldier in Iraq I have a lot of contact with my son. It is the little things that matter, snacks like granola bars, dried soups, peanuts etc. I just sent 2 boxes a few weeks ago and he used them to have a football party with the guys in his unit, he said it was a real chance to get away for a couple hours. If you don't know where to send something contact any local military post or reserve center, they can let you know.
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
If you don't know where to send something contact any local military post or reserve center, they can let you know.

http://www.anysoldier.us has a wealth of information that will help those who are interested in sending letters, cards, care packages. You can also read emails from our troops and hear first hand what they need or want as it varies.
SooZQ
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Curtis. I've been over on the Any Soldier site
for about an hour. It's a wonderful project, something like I would
have done if I'd had a son in the service. And now I am involved
and will be sending some love and pride to other mother's son's and
daughters! Very Happy

Really support the troops, send them a letter and care package! Visit:http://www.anysoldier.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: