SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Depressing review of 1st SBVT ad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Depressing review of 1st SBVT ad Reply with quote

CSPAN is airing a a focus group discussion of several campaign ads conducted by NEWSDAY in Columbus, Ohio on 9/24. The purpose was to gauge the influence of the ads which included Kerry windsurfing; negative out voted humorous, a Haliburton anti-Cheney; they all hated Haliburton, Edward's 'give the Band of Brothers 3 minutes; valiant Veep effort, a Kerry my family loves me; show me a candidate that hates families, a Bush my family loves me; Laura is an asset, "I didn't see Bush in Alabama"; unsupported, and a few others. The one that dominated the discussion was Swift Boats.

"The epitome of negative advertising." was the general opinion of SBVT's first and best known ad. When asked who approved of the ad only 2 of some fifty raised a hand. It didn't help that the Newsday facilitator introduced it as an RNC effort with SBVT a straw man. It didn't help that some joker on the panel claimed to have researched it thoroughly and found it 'false', repeating all the usual Kerry talking points (the weren't on the boat, no one actually knew him blah, blah, blah). Some honest reflection came through but, plainly, political advertising seems only to re-enforce plus or minus pre-existing partisan opinion. I've no idea how they selected these participants but they were by and large Democratic rug-chewers. Kerry was internationally influential?, noble, a war hero and how dare that bible thumping/church burning, lying, war mongering, racist, Bush and his partisans attack such a sparkling character! I'm no media consultant but I'ld say we've some work left to do. It's not yet time to splice the mainbrace.

I'd read "Stolen Valor" years back but had forgotten about Kerry. He'd always struck me as a stuffed shirt from Mass. Before I'd heard of Swift Boats I smelled a rat when I first learned that the 'two tours' was actually 4 months! My brother had his teeth knocked out by Marines in Sasebo on liberty. Today he regales strangers that it was shrapnel while delivering a Seal team into 'Nam. If I didn't know the original story but knowing he was a snipe on a fleet tug who's primary armament was a winch makes me howl. (he calls me a topside whitestripper and it galls him when I remind him he has Sea Service on a YTF and I've Sea Service with 3 stars on a DDG [tug driver/pilot in Subic was the object of all SM desires/ damn that Pinatubo]). My brother's not running for president.

Anyway, I love you guys and hurts that MSM seems to have given you your 15 minutes and misrepresented it.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgetaboutit.

Remember the one important point --- Negative advertising in politcal campaigns works.

Therefore, the Swift AD is one of the most successful political ads in history.

While there is a desire to be accepted as positive and truthful -- the guy who did the "research" wasn't an unbiased truthseeker. Why, because he did his research at the Kerry web site.

Most people who hear the ad wait for the candidate to respond. Kerry has not responded. The result will be that if Kerry does not respond --- it must be true.
The rest of the ads use Kerry's own words --- again Kerry does not respond and it is his own words that bury him.
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s NOT NEGATIVE if it’s the truth! Evil or Very Mad
vietnamvet173
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jataylor11 wrote:
Forgetaboutit.

Remember the one important point --- Negative advertising in politcal campaigns works.

Therefore, the Swift AD is one of the most successful political ads in history.

And the ads that show Kerry's anti-war activity are the most effective. I agree it does not matter what the MSM has to say anymore. They have betrayed the people by taking sides and telling lies. They are in decline.

Fox News is one small but effective cable news outlet. Why is the MSN so fearful of Fox News? It is because they do not have a liberal agenda. BOR is the closest they have to a MSM guy.

There is quite a list of alternative media such as the Talk Radio, Blogs, websites such as SBVT and alternative (celebrity) columnists such as Ann Coulter. Since the last election web news organizations such as WorldNetDaily and New Max now have gained status. FrontPageMagazine.com fights the good fight against political correctness against the “Hate and Blame America First Left” (Kerry Supporters) with a special emphasis on persecution of non-leftists in Academia.

Four years ago the Washington Times had marginal influence and opinionjournal.com was not widely read. The alternative media is here to stay and will become the MSM in the not to distance future.

Lets not forget Matt Drudge a modern day Paul Revere. Without the Drudge Report many stories would be buried or marginalize and forgotten.

Last edited by vietnamvet173 on Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It’s NOT NEGATIVE if it’s the truth!

Sure it is!! In the sense that "the truth hurts" Kerry, which has to be a big negative for him!

The truth is the truth, let the chips fall where they may.

It is the unfounded smears by the Kerry, his cohort of flying monkeys, and his allies in the MSM that is truly negative, because it is untrue.

And don't forget unfair........
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listened again to the first ad, and I agree that it's an extremely negative ad. Normally, I like ads that give a positive message, but sometimes what has to be said can only be said in a negative way. I believe the first ad, which basically says that John Kerry is not suitable for the highest office in the country, could not be presented any other way, and I think it's very effective the way it's done. I think it's value is to raise questions, not to answer them. The answers (to when, how, who, why?) come in subsequent ads. And, besides, it appears that it had a very satisfying effect on Kerry himself.
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine WHEN Kerry goes down to defeat, how this band of brothers lead by John O'Neil will FOREVER be something that brings HIM (Kerry) PAIN.

He won't ever sleep another night without thinking about what could have been, how he could have been President etc, if ONLY the swift boat guys didn't tell the truth.

The eternal agony that will be SHEERED into his mind will be the reward of a few brave men.
jimlarsen
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I suggest that the title of this thread be changed to "Review sees negative aspect of 1st SBVT ad", or something similar? I'm sure the review was depressing to I B Squidly, but I hope now it can be seen as a non-event in the scheme of things. IE. the ad might be perceived as negative, but it was effective. The reason for the change is that some newcommers, on seeing the word "depressing", might assume that the fight is about over and we are loosing.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the truth isn't pretty --- but it is always the truth ---

So some view the first ad as "negative" --- I disagree -- the first ad is truthful

Maybe as an attorney I expect disagreement so it does not strike me as negative. To be "positive" the ad would have to be supporting something -- in this instance that would be have to be the candidacy of someone other than Kerry.

That is not the purpose of the Swift Boat Vets --- as I understand the Swift Boat Vets' purpose it is to present their opinion of John Kerry. To introduce the John Kerry they know to the rest of the world.

This opinion and view is decidedly different than the "Vietnam Hero" presented to the world by John Kerry during the primaries and at the DNC convention.

To present a different opinion is not negative, it is a truthful expression of a different opinion. Opinions based upon experience.
Inatizzy
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I live in Texas. I've seen the ads against Kerry from the Swiftees and I can tell you they ARE having an impact. So what if they're negative? When the TRUTH is to tell something bad about someone then it's going to be negative. People DO listen and they DO begin to question whether Kerry is the man he says he is. People like to feel good about the guy they are pulling the lever for. If they don't feel good about Kerry they will just stay home.....no motivation to vote because there's just that nagging question that those dang Swiftees planted in their mind that Kerry is a fraud. Could it be? Maybe it's true? What if it is? yada yada. When you plant a doubt that is solid in their minds they can't feel good about him anymore.

It's working guys. KEEP IT UP. I talked to a Democrat yesterday who said he just can't vote for Kerry now because there's too many questions left unanswered. I asked if he would vote for Bush. He said maybe.

YOU GUYS ARE CHANGING HISTORY......and future generations will look back at what you are doing and weep with gratitude that you saved this nation from the leadership (cough) of John Fraud Kerry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: