SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Go Ohio! 50,000 cheering supporters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Go Ohio! 50,000 cheering supporters Reply with quote

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/09/28/bush092804.html

Rally is biggest of Bush campaign

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Kevin Osborne
Post staff reporter

In the largest political rally of his campaign, President Bush was greeted by nearly 50,000 cheering supporters Monday afternoon at the Voice of America Park in West Chester Township.
Bush's arrival just before 4:30 p.m. ended a day-long bus tour that made several stops in the GOP stronghold of southwestern Ohio, including Cedarville, Springfield and Xenia.

As his bus rolled into the West Chester park, Bush enthusiastically bounded onto the stage without a coat or tie, in a blue-checkered shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

"It lifts my spirits to see so many people," Bush said. "It's a good sign when this many people come to a rally."

Challenging recent remarks by Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, Bush defended how he has conducted the war in Iraq, calling it part of a broader strategy against terrorism.

Despite criticism that no weapons of mass destruction have been found since U.S. troops invaded Iraq in the spring of 2003, Bush called Saddam Hussein's regime "a gathering threat" that had to be stopped.

"We will stay on the offensive," Bush said in a speech that frequently sounded militaristic tones.

"We will defeat the terrorists abroad so we do not have to face them here at home."

Bush chided Kerry for voting to give the president authority to go to war, then subsequently voting against a bill that included money to give body armor and other equipment to U.S. troops.

Kerry has explained the latter bill included unrelated spending that was tacked on by Bush, and described the issue as "complicated."

The president, however, viewed the matter is starker terms.

"There's nothing complicated about supporting our troops in combat," Bush said.

Kerry's campaign countered that it was irresponsible of Bush to send troops into combat that were unprepared and not adequately equipped.

Bush's appearance, his 13th visit to Ohio during the campaign, is the last major stop before he readies for Thursday's nationally televised debate against Kerry.

"It's been a little tough to prepare for the debate because he keeps changing his positions," said Bush, repeating his allegation that Kerry's views are swayed by polls. "I think he can spend 90 minutes debating himself.

"You cannot lead if you do not know where you stand," he said, as the crowd chanted "Flip-flop! Flip-flop!"

Kerry supporters, however, pointed to Bush's own inconsistencies on a variety of issues connected to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and national security.

They noted that Bush initially was against creating a Homeland Security Department, opposed a commission to investigate the 9-11 attacks, rejected a request that he personally testify before the commission, opposed releasing a presidential memo about al-Qaida from a week before the attacks, and didn't want to fully implement the commission's recommendations -- all positions that Bush later changed.

Bush likened current efforts in Iraq with the United States helping rebuild Japan after World War II, creating an important alliance that endures 50 years later.

The United States more pro-active national security stance since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks has yielded results, Bush said.

Oppressive governments were toppled in Afghanistan and Iraq, Libya has made major concessions on weapons programs and the Saudi Arabian government has more aggressively pursued terrorists within its borders.

"We have led; many have joined, and America and the world are safer," Bush said. "We must take threats seriously before they fully materialize."

Bush's rally is believed to be the largest political event ever held in Ohio, and the first presidential visit to the fast-growing West Chester area, officials said.

Numerous Republican officials attended the event, including U.S. Reps. John Boehner, Steve Chabot and Rob Portman, Lt. Gov. Jennette Bradley and former Cincinnati Bengals star Anthony Munoz, who is heading the Bush-Cheney campaign in this region.

Also present were Keith and Carolyn Maupin. Their son, Army Spec. Matt Maupin of Amelia, is missing in Iraq after his capture in April.

Several area schools dismissed classes two hours early Monday, ostensibly to avoid traffic tie-ups. The Lakota West High School choir sang the national anthem at the rally, however, and Lakota bands performed at the event.

"It's fitting that George Bush's visit is causing students to miss school," said Brendon Cull, a Kerry campaign spokesman. "George Bush has spent the past four years making it harder for Ohio's students to get a quality education."

Bush didn't announce any new policy initiatives at the rally, instead reviving several from his 2000 campaign -- including the effort to create private Social Security investment accounts and the "No Child Left Behind" education program.

Although Ohio has lost about 250,000 jobs during Bush's first term, the president said he inherited an economy that already was headed for a recession, and was worsened by 9-11 and corporate scandals like Enron.

The national unemployment rate stands at 5.4 percent, which compares favorably to previous presidential administrations, Bush said.

"Still, parts of our country are lagging behind," he said. "You have people hurting here in Ohio, I know that."

To improve the situation, Bush said trade barriers must be lifted abroad and legislative changes made domestically.

"If we want jobs here, we need to do something about these needless regulations that hamper small business owners," the president said.

"To create jobs, we've got to reject economic isolationism. I know we can compete with anybody, anytime, anywhere, if the rules are fair."

Publication Date: 09-28-2004
DaveL
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it amazing how an MSM "news" article about the most successful political rally of the Bush campaign to date, can be turned into a vehicle for putting forth Kerry talking points. Nearly all of the unquoted "news" in this article is anti-Bush! Outrageous!
.::geo::.
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Screw the MSM.. Very Happy

I'm off to see Cheney later today. He doesn't speak until after 5pm, but I plan on getting there around 2pm, just to make sure I get in! I can't wait to see what our local papers have to report on it. They're so blatantly liberal... everytime I open the Opinion section I either get PO'ed, or break into hysterical laughter... mostly because I cannot believe there are people in this world that are THAT ridiculous...

e,

Georgi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read where the Kerry campaign gets an estimated 43 billion dollares worth of free advertising from the leftist media. That's billion--with a (b)

And yet, Kerry is still behind in the polls---guess the hatriotic Kerry-ites forgot about the "X" factor...a relatively small group of individuals dedicated to praying and fasting for the president and this election. This group was formed during the 2000 election when the Democrats tried to steal the presidency and have been steadfast in their faithfullness. (Presidential Prayer Team--a grass roots group crossing all denominational lines, whose goal is simply to pray for the president.)

It is why I get such a kick out of seeing the hatriots schemes backfire--it is like seeing a modern day Old Testament story played out in 2004. Fascinating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: