SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UPDATE! HELP Michael Moore in N. VA 5 Days Before Election!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: UPDATE! HELP Michael Moore in N. VA 5 Days Before Election! Reply with quote

I heard on the news this morning (local ABC channel 7) that Michael Moore is being paid $35,000 to speak at George Mason University in northern Virigina (just outside Washington, DC) ONLY 5 DAYS BEFORE THE ELECTION!. This univeristy has a concert hall called the Patriot Center, and I have seen a few good concerts there and it's used for more than just college students. Maybe email, call and write them? I know he just started a 'bash bush' tour - How can he be allowed this blatant attempt to sway the election? I am soooo ready for this F** A** to move to Cuba and drive a 1955 Chevy.
I did various searches and cannot find it posted online yet - stay tuned.

websites:

http://www.gmu.edu/
http://www.patriotcenter.com

Update -It's cancelled!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20040930-100345-2561r.htm
[/b]

Last edited by Rdtf on Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
TroyS
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's coming to WI too but I don't know the dates, there is a twist though. A soldier who recently returned from Iraq has challenged him to a debate. How much do you want to bet lefty-loony Moore won't take him up on it.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know - what's he gonna do - ask him what he asked Bill O'Reilly - 'would you send your child to fight?" That soldier would say yes, as I went before him to pave the way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TroyS wrote:
He's coming to WI too but I don't know the dates, there is a twist though. A soldier who recently returned from Iraq has challenged him to a debate. How much do you want to bet lefty-loony Moore won't take him up on it.

Sean Hannity has already offered a debate in front of a live audience to have himself and the commie put up 25k apiece winner take all adn let the audience judge the winner. proceeds to go to favorite charity.
think he's a no-show punk.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM students should demand that 35K be spent on speakers such as Laura Ingraham, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, et al

I may have to go protest this appearance.

My sister "dated" Michael Pig Moore prior to Roger and Me. He has always been scum.

I put Moore in the Hitler, Stalin, Ted Bundy, category of malignant existence.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telling lies sure pays good these days. What a total waste of human? DNA M. M. is. Someone please tell me he didn't breed.

Dusty
buffman
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he'd ask me would I send my child to fight in Fallujah, well, if he was a combat trained volunteer then hell yes, and he would have my prayers. The smart aleck side of me would be to tell the people of VA to hide their kids, the other white meat from the Fat Bast*rd.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the 35,000 come from?
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msindependent wrote:
Where does the 35,000 come from?

I still can't find this online so I can share it - but it was mentioned again in tonight's news. Something to the effect that some VA lawmakers are asking the Pres of the Univ to cancel the event - that 'taxpayers dollars' (yep, that's right) should be better used in a non-partisan way.
I'll keep looking.
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking news! There is supposed to be an announcement in the Washington Post newspaper tomorrow that HE HAS BEEN CANCELLED!!!
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy wife wrote:
Breaking news! There is supposed to be an announcement in the Washington Post newspaper tomorrow that HE HAS BEEN CANCELLED!!!

woohoo!!!!
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN! I was sick to my stomach to think that my money, as a Virginia taxpayer, was going to pay that man.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: he's outta here Reply with quote

http://www.washingtontimes.com/metro/20040930-100345-2561r.htm

GMU cancels Moore as campus speaker
By Christina Bellantoni
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

George Mason University yesterday rescinded its invitation to filmmaker Michael Moore after state lawmakers balked at the pending deal, which could have cost the Virginia school as much as $35,000.
The "Evening with Michael Moore" event had been in the works for Oct. 28. As of 3 p.m. yesterday, university officials and Mr. Moore still were negotiating the details of a deal, including his speaking fee and whether taxpayer dollars would pay for the event.
But after dozens of conservatives sent critical letters and e-mails to university President Alan Merten, university officials said late yesterday the school had rescinded its offer.

"The university has decided to cancel the Michael Moore event as it was felt it would be a misappropriate use of state resources," said Daniel Walsch, GMU spokesman. "The best way to handle this was to just cancel the whole thing. This was the best way to go."
Mr. Walsch had said before the deal was canceled that Mr. Moore could receive $35,000 for his appearance.
Mr. Moore's latest film, "Fahrenheit 9/11," criticizes President Bush for his handling of the September 11 terrorist attacks and the Iraq war. Mr. Moore is registering voters nationwide and is speaking on high school and college campuses in the weeks leading up to the Nov. 2 election.
Mr. Moore did not respond to questions e-mailed by The Washington Times yesterday.
Some Virginians had criticized the school for inviting Mr. Moore to speak.
"It strikes me as a get-out-the-vote effort for the Democratic Party using taxpayer money," said Delegate Richard H. Black, Loudoun County Republican and one of the most conservative House members.
Mr. Black, who had sent a letter to Mr. Merten, also criticized school officials who had told lawmakers this year that higher education deserved more funding, leading the legislature to raise taxes. Mr. Black, who opposed the tax increases, said spending money to bring Mr. Moore to campus proved the increases weren't needed.
"How can GMU pay one political operative so much for one campaign appearance when families are straining to pay your tuition and fees?" he wrote.
Mr. Walsch said fees for speakers vary and are negotiated individually, and that some speakers waive the fee or donate their fee to scholarship programs.
The average speaking fee nationally is $7,500, according to the Speakers Platform, a San Francisco-based speakers bureau. Appearances by high-profile celebrities cost $30,000 to $300,000.
Mr. Moore's $35,000 appearance fee seemed to be "about right," said representatives at the Speakers Platform, who did not want to be quoted.
Mr. Walsch said the tentative plan called for Mr. Moore to speak to a crowd of 6,000 at the school's Patriot Center. Anyone with a GMU identification card could have attended free of charge, but members of the general public would have had to purchase tickets.
Earlier yesterday, Delegate Robert H. Brink said many schools have a student activity fund in place to pay for speaking engagements.
"The students of GMU should have the right to hear who they want to hear," the Arlington Democrat said. "It's GMU's job to provide a forum for as many points of view as possible."
Mr. Walsch said the school hosts "provocative" speakers geared to promote the university's philosophy of stimulating and educating students. He noted appearances by Princeton scholar Cornell West and U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist.
"People who get audiences to think outside their box," Mr. Walsch said.
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many brain cells was Walsch missing when he said:

'...the school hosts "provocative" speakers geared to promote the university's philosophy of stimulating and educating students. He noted appearances by Princeton scholar Cornell West and U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist.
"People who get audiences to think outside their box," Mr. Walsch said.'

He equates Michael Moron to C. West and CJ Rehnquist? Moron should be taken 'outside their box' and put into a cage with a bunch of bananas where he belongs. (A bath first--in the interest of public health!)
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the money Moore made on his farce of a movie he should pay colleges to speak -- not the other way around
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: