SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celebrity Opinions, Do They Count?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Celebrity Opinions, Do They Count? Reply with quote

Patrick Walters wrote:
...Springsteen returned to the anti-war anthem as he and other artists kicked off a multistate tour aimed at helping oust President Bush....
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041002/D85F3CU01.html

IMO, these brilliant celebrities are fools to think we want something from them other than good music. Most of us agree with Laura Ingraham's book, Shut Up And Sing but at some point, we just want them to "shut up," especially Natalie Maines!
Bob Chamberlain
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Celebrity Qualifications Reply with quote

I found this piece a while back. In fact, I think maybe I found the link somewhere on this forum. In any case, it addresses your point quite clearly. These "Celebrities for Kerry" have absolutely no qualification that should make their opinions worht listening to. Their opinions are just that - opinions, and poorly informed at that. It is a shame that their star attraction allows greater access to the media than more informed and capable people are able to achieve.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/smarter.asp

Useful anti-Kerry campaign material at:
http://www.betrayed-vietnam-vet.info
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their opinions don't matter to me. But the voting age is now 18 and I fear that to those in that age group the opinions of the celebs will matter.
tikoys
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willie Nelson is my favorite singer/songwriter. However, his remarks about Bush are really pissing me off!! Shut up and sing!!!!!!!!
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Pareles, New York Times wrote:
...Maines said by telephone this week. "We definitely want a regime change, and now that we're getting down to the wire I'm even less afraid to speak out. I just think things are absolutely life or death right now.''
New York Times

I finally found her in this article and now I wish she'd just shut up!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What galls me is that Celebrities that are on the right, such as Charlie Daniels, go ignored by the media. Celebrities opinons are no better than the rest of us, but they have the public forum.

Too bad all those who said they would have to leave the country if Bush won, back in 2000, didn't just go ahead and leave.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOYCOTT Hit them in their pocketbook. Works everytime.
Hondo
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those with intelligence and independent will couldn't give a hoot in hell what a celebrity thinks.

Unfortunately, there's no good way to prevent damn fools from voting. Damn fools are easily swayed - by the media, celebrities, and charlatans making promises the don't have a snowball's chance of keeping.

And - sadly - the older I get, the higher my estimate becomes of the proportion of damn fools in the US population.
Wind Walker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days we have to many celebrities trying to play the part of politicians, & to many politicians trying to play the part of celebrities Laughing

A good thing to remember about celebrities (actors), is that they (some, not all), always depend on a "director" to advise them when it's appropriate to smile, frown, express anger, emotion, concern, & many other expressions, even after they have read & studied the script. What does that tell you about some of these people........"It's raining Bab's, please remain indoors until it stops" Wink

However, these people seem to think they know it all when it comes to policy.

Think about it........how smart is it when some of these people attend a rally to degrade you for poluting the air from driving your SUV, when they are flown to each event in their private jets & have a minimum of 3 "limo's" hauling their agents & body-guards Shocked

The bottom line here is that the majority of these "celebrities" are only seeking the attention of the press coverage, for publicity.........That brings in the dollars.

There are still some good celebrities out there, and they're easy to recognize..............you won't see these celebrities searching for a media platform to spout their political opinions......they express their concerns at the voting booth, but keep their focus on the arts & crafts of acting, and on the big-screen, where it belongs. Cool

Have a great day,
Wind Walker Rolling Eyes
Bob Chamberlain
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Celebrities Reply with quote

It used to be that celebrities used their status to help out. Carole Lombard died in a plane crash while she was on a War Bond tour in 1942. Myrna Loy essentially put her carreer on hold for much of WWII so she could work for the Red Cross. Bob Hope and thousands of Hollywood personalities made overseas trips for the USO to entertain troops, in all of our major conflicts since the start of WWII. These celebrities "voted with their feet" to support America and our combat troops.

So many of today's celebrities do nothing more than shoot off their mouths about what is wrong with America. And for most of them, their train of thought is still boarding at the station. I'd like to see them vote with their feet also - right over the nearest border.

We should not forget. And WE should vote with our dollars. I have never forgiven the American populace in general for allowing Jane Fonda to have a successful Hollywood carreer after her treason in Vietnam. Jane Fonda could not have continued her carreer if America had boycotted any film she appeared in. Hollywood cares more for the bottom line than they do about making a political statement. I absolutely refuse to watch a Jane Fonda movie even today, even on cable where nobody will even know. It's the principle of the thing. We should make sure that these celebrities out there working for Kerry feel the economic pain of our displeasure.

Useful anti-Kerry campaign material at:
http://www.betrayed-vietnam-vet.info
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone uses celebrities to promote their causes, and this includes both political parties. How many of you watching the Republican National Convention noticed the number of Christian groups and singers who performed at the Convention? Jaqui Velasquez, Nicole C. Mullins, and Stephen Curtis Chapman to name a few.

Celebreties draw attention to a cause, and that's why they're useful. Let's face it, if the media paid as much attention to the Charlie Daniels as they do the Willie Nelsons, we might not be as inclined to complain.

I think the real fear here is that these left leaning celebs will influence our young people to vote for Kerry, but I'm not all that convinced that all of the younger generation is paying all that much attention to their spin. I could be wrong about that, but since I've been browsing the internet, I've seen some young conservative bloggers out there, which really warms my heart, particularly those on the Anti-Moore websites. I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned. But at the same time, you notice how few people there are actively marching in protest of *this* war? Far fewer than were protesting Vietnam, if I recall correctly. Maybe it will be different in ten years, who knows?

Since I don't go to movies much, and I don't even watch much tv or mostly only buy Christian CD's, none of these naysayers is getting my money. Hitting them in the pocketbook is an excellent idea, and to those who are parents of teens, maybe it's time you told your teenager that if he or she wants to support those liberal lefties by buying their product, it's time that *they* got a job to pay for their own tickets/books/CD's, because it's not coming out of *your* pocket.
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If their opinions count then we are in a whole world of trouble. Shocked
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Poole wrote:
Jon Pareles, New York Times wrote:
...Maines said by telephone this week. "We definitely want a regime change, and now that we're getting down to the wire I'm even less afraid to speak out. I just think things are absolutely life or death right now.''
New York Times

I finally found her in this article and now I wish she'd just shut up!

Another stupid, dangerous to our form of government person spouting off about "regime change." Mimicking Kerry. Oh, but they are such believers (sic) in civil and human rights. What pap.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most celebrities are absolute idiots. They are largely uneducated, but because they do look good on camera and can (sometimes) act or sing or model (meaning stand still in front of a camera) they get the platform they do. Cameron Diaz, an total fool, equated women not voting with saying "yes" to rape. Remember, these people are fawned over by the media, their agents, their directors and every other flukie who depends on them for a paycheck and sadly, too many Americans blinded by their faked "perfection" (its the makeup), faked intelligence (its the script), faked bravery (script again). Therefore, these dunkerheads start to belive their own press and actually think their uniformed opinions matter, I'd bet a month's salary anyone who posts on this forum could beat the pants off most "celebrities" in a true knowledge style game like "Jeopardy". Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: