SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joseph Farah: "Thank God for the Swift Boat Vets"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hatecelebs
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Joseph Farah: "Thank God for the Swift Boat Vets" Reply with quote

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=40714

That poor excuse for a debate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After watching that pitiful excuse for a debate last night, all I can say is, "Thank God for the Swift Boat vets."

Why?

Because without them and the persuasive case they have made against John Kerry for president, I am quite certain he would still be the leading candidate for president today.

The debate last night focused on foreign policy and national security issues – President Bush's strength, we're told by the pollsters. It should also be Kerry's weakness, given his vacillation on the war on Iraq and his own record of turning on American troops in Vietnam.

But that's not the way I saw it.

I tried to view the debate through the eyes of an undecided voter. And what I saw was at best a standoff. Kerry was on the offensive all night. Bush was on the defensive.

During the debate, Bush said the best way to fight the war on terrorism was to remain on offense. I agree. But I wonder why he doesn't understand the principle holds true in winning a debate, too.

There was plenty of heat, but not much light.

How much more interesting it might have been had the debate been opened up to include minor-party and independent candidates for president.

It is a national scandal that the Democrats and Republicans have been permitted to maintain a monopoly on political debate in this country. It's not healthy. It's a scandal. It so often represents a choice between bad and worse.

I was genuinely disturbed by watching that spectacle.

I heard nothing I hadn't heard before from either candidate.

The format was a joke, too. Jim Lehrer's questions were mundane, routine and predictable.

Not one question about illegal immigration – a national security crisis so severe even Time magazine recently discovered it.

Not one question about the United States continuing financial and diplomatic support for terrorists in the Palestinian Authority.

Not even one obvious question about the massive intelligence breakdown in this country that led to Sept. 11.

Pitiful. Pathetic. Predictable.

What we heard, as a result, were mere platitudes: "I can do better."

If America is to remain a free and open republic, how can we allow our political process to be rigged and closed? How can we allow the level of debate to deteriorate to such a point?

My only hope for this race now is that Bush opens up a lead so substantial that independent thinkers are freed up to vote their conscience – to break away from the dualistic thinking that dominates the American political process.

It's time to build viable third, fourth and fifth parties – to give us real choices, to ask tougher questions, to put new ideas on the national agenda.

I'm sure Bush would like to see such a lead open up, too. Yet, he didn't help himself much last night. He didn't make a strong case for another four years. And he didn't do much to persuade the American people that his opponent is a clear and present danger to our national security – which he is.

Am I disappointed?

Well, as one who has seen a few presidential debates in my life – Kennedy-Nixon, Carter-Ford, Reagan-Carter, Reagan-Mondale and more – this one is forgettable by comparison.

No wonder tens of millions have stopped watching debates – just since 1992. No wonder fewer people are bothering to vote. No wonder fewer people are paying attention to the way their country is governed.

But apathy is not the answer. It's time for Americans to renew the idea of self-government. In case you've forgotten, it means governing our own lives. It means taking responsibility for our own families, our own neighborhoods, our own communities. It means not waiting for some messiah of a presidential candidate to come along to save us.
Jerry M
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Poor excuse for a debate Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. Bush was clearly not prepared for what he should have known was going to be an all out offensive against him packed with falsehoods and innuendo. It was also no secret what the Kerry/Democrat talking points were going to be. A well prepared, good debater could have easily rebutted and taken Kerry apart on much of what he said.

One reason Bush was constantly on the defensive was the moronic decision by his campaign to agree to one moderator who had the power to compose and ask all the questions. And who was that moderator, the liberal Jim Lehrer from PBS who focused entirely on questions designed to make Bush look bad on Iraq and asked nothing about Kerry's Senate record, his vote against the first Persian Gulf War, border security issues, his anti-war/enemy sympathizing activities and on and on. Clinton aids, who are running the Kerry campaign, used to refer to Lehrer as "our moderator". I am beginning to seriously wonder if Bush does not need a campaign staff shake up. Knowing his reputation for loyalty, that will probably never happen.

Lehrer was the real reason this was a poor excuse for a debate. He, after all, had the sole power to determine where the questioning was going to go and Bush was not sharp enough open other avenues.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Joseph Farah: "Thank God for the Swift Boat Vets&a Reply with quote

hatecelebs wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to view the debate through the eyes of an undecided voter. And what I saw was at best a standoff. Kerry was on the offensive all night. Bush was on the defensive.

The questions were carefully designed to do exactly that.

IMHO
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Joseph Farah: "Thank God for the Swift Boat Vets&a Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
hatecelebs wrote:
Bush was on the defensive.

IMHO

Concur.

Leading.... suggestive... coded phrasing... hardballs vs. softballs.

There's a color-coded transcript in R&R - copy all of Lehrer's transcript and compare the questions. (black text)
Integrity
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will most certainly fall to the Swift Vets and the POW's to continue to deconstruct Kerry. I still find it hard to believe that 30 days to the election and this ******* has gottem away with not releasing his service recordsm his medical records or his wife's rax returns. If not for the unrelenting pressure of the Swift Vets he'd still be playing his war hero card nonstop.

And it simply boggles my mind that in 3 1/2 years President Bush hasn't worked with a speech coach to improve his public speaking skills. He's an intelligent man, you don't get an MBA from Harvard without any brains.

I don't care how it happens but Kerry must be stopped cold. It sure looks like the Swift Vets are the only hope.
works4me
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bush's problem is he does not know how to go for the Kill.

He had many perfect lines, but he should have crucified him when he talked about nobody getting fired.

Bush should have said that if he could have he would have started with the Intelligence oversight committes.
Especially those people who do not show up.

If Bush is going to protect us he better learn how to destroy his enemies and those of America,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Joseph Farah: "Thank God for the Swift Boat Vets&a Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
hatecelebs wrote:

IMHO

I totally agree and may add if you will that the questions were biased to make W look bad and JK look good. It was the most unbalanced debate, question wise, I have ever viewed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: