SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody Here In Favor of a Draft?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Anybody Here In Favor of a Draft? Reply with quote

Sorry, folks, I know this is a stupid question...but I have a young friend in Germany (he's in his 30's) who is what we would call a flaming liberal over in this country. He claims that President Bush will reinstitute the draft because they're not getting enough troops to fight in the war on terror.

Despite the fact, that I sent him the link from this forum related to the draft issue, he still insists that Bush will reinstitute the draft, and that Americans will be frightened into allowing it. He keeps insisting that a draft will be necessary.

Can I get your opinions on this subject? I promised him I would send him this thread with your repsonses. Thanks.

Maria
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him to ask the Dems why they are the only ones trying to reinstate it. Rep. Rengel (D) is a key person behind this, he has been waiving the Draft around since soon after 9/11.
The Republicans have not nor do they desire a Draft. We do not need one.(Well maybe we will if Kerry gets elected and retention rates plummet).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a draft is necessary.
i do believe all should serve in some way for love of country.
i doubt there is a shortage of voulunteers at this time.
azpatriot
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a draft beer YES Razz
a draft for the military it's not needed we have plenty of volenteers Smile
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bill for a draft was introduced by Charlie Rangel and co-authored by other Democratic members of the black congressional caucus.

NO REPUBLICANS ARE SPONSERS --- NO REPUBLICANS SUPPORT THE DRAFT.

Furthermore, a draft cannot be restarted in this country -- why --- because woman between the ages of 18 and 30 are not registered with the Selective Service Board.

I do not support a draft --- nor would one work -- today's military is not just feet on the ground but people with specialized skills.

A draft would not get the people with the right skills. The volunteer military works quite well --- the Germans don't want the US to leave because it will hurt their economy --- I have one word -- TOUGH
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I do favor the draft, but not as a solution to put more bodies in the field, although that does have a useful purpose too.
Right now there are altogether too many messed up young people who get out of school and think the world owes them a living. They are disrespectful, have no purpose and cause no end of problems for society.
A draft right after high school would expose this section of society to boot camp and military discipline, something they sorely need. I have hired many many young people over the years and I now seek out those who are veterans or reservists. I can count on these people. They show up for work, they have good work ethics, they don't steal and they all have their heads firmly screwed onto their shoulders. These men and women without exception are good workers. They display mature attitudes and I can count on them. I thank the armed forces for their training and instilling within them an attitude that will allow them to be successful in life. This is something the school system has sorely neglected.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent him that thread with links to the congressional record, and a post from this forum detailing it. Talking to him is almost a lost cause, but I would like him to hear from someone other than myself that Americans overwhelmingly oppose a draft. He shrugs off the Dem links and claims that Bush has this plan in reserve ready to spring on us, and that we will mindlessly go for it becaus we're afraid.

Maria
GiveMeFreedom
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry is the ONLY candidate that I have heard even 'elude' to a draft. Kerry has been talking about 'increasing our military strength by 40,000', and doubling the size of our "Special Forces".

The only way to increase the military size by 40,000 is to institute a draft, IMHO. How else - buy them off the streets?
Kerry has also talked about providing extra college funds to those who would participate in at least 2 years of military service (I don't know the details of this,....besides they already have the GI bill).

As far as doubling Special Forces...well, it takes a special type person for that job, as well as EXTENSIVE training, so I don't know how he would do that, at least in the short term.
My nephew just got out of the Army...if Bush were instituting a 'back-door draft' as the Dems are claiming, then why wouldn't they have a freeze on the people who are getting discharged? Cheaper to keep them in, than re-draft them, wouldn't you say?

I've also heard that recruiters have more than met their quotas for this year.
http://www.operationac.com
Support our Soldiers!!
JCBoston
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is highly doubtful that any administration with Don Rumsfield in it will institute a draft under anything short of catastrophic circumstances. He is and has been ardently anti-draft his whole career. He put an end to registration as Ford's Secretary of Defense.
Jim Peterson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: The Draft Reply with quote

Why are the Democrats the ones pushing the Draft?

I'll tell you why.

Right now you see very little turmoil in the ranks. Very few of the reserves are failing to report. Very few of the active duty are finding ways to skip the county. Right now there is little "NEWS" for the MSN to report.

If a draft was passed we would be back to draft doggers, people running off to that place up north, shirkers in the ranks and a great news story every night. In other words turmoil in the ranks. That's what the Democrats want to see.

Lack of troop numbers to send around the world is based on the size of our military force. Slowly expand the size of the military and fill it with volunteers not draftees.

Training Aid for the staff Mar 74-Apr 95
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft the Hollywood nitwits and send all of them to Iraq so they can squeal like pigs.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volunteers are more easily trainable , more highly motivated, less of a discipline problem.

Draft only as a last resort.

I believe we could enlarge our armed forces by just letting more applicants in. A lot are being delayed for an open slot or just turned away.

I will say this about the draft. If it is needed in the future...ABSOLUTELY NO EDUCATION DEFERRMENTS. NO MARRIED WITH CHILDREN DEFERRMENTS.

There may be others to add to that list but these are the two that caused so many problems during Vietnam.
dmackto
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The degree of one's emotions varies inversely with one's knowledge of the facts."

"Out of passions grow opinions; mental sloth lets these rigidify into convictions"

I don't think your friends opinions are going to change even though you are presenting him with plenty of opposing facts.

This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Jim Peterson, that's an interesting take. Rangel admitted that he's only proposed a draft to shake things up.

And I agree with carpro - there aren't many military people or vets who favor a draft.

Volunteers are internally motivated; they learn discipline and teamwork more quickly and don't come to the service with the internal resistance to being what the military needs them to be.

Who wants to work alongside and maybe trust their safety and life to a disgruntled draftee?

Even in this age of the all-volunteer force, there's almost always a dirtball in any workstation who acts as if they were drafted - who hates where they are and what they're doing and the other people around them.

Someone's always got to pick up their slack.
fr11
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSeeger wrote:
I sent him that thread with links to the congressional record, and a post from this forum detailing it. Talking to him is almost a lost cause, but I would like him to hear from someone other than myself that Americans overwhelmingly oppose a draft. He shrugs off the Dem links and claims that Bush has this plan in reserve ready to spring on us, and that we will mindlessly go for it becaus we're afraid.

Maria

Sounds like you're wasting your time. Your German friend is a lost cause and will believe anything that makes Bush look bad. It's so sad how propaganized our friends overseas have become. sigh

Anyway, I am 100% opposed to the draft (just like Donald Rumsfeld). History has proven that it causes more problems than it solves and you end up with anti-war "soldiers" like John Kerry who come back home and stab their fellow servicemen in the back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: