SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coast Guard Admiral Bad Mouths the SwiftVets Leader
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Coast Guard Admiral Bad Mouths the SwiftVets Leader Reply with quote

Highlighted in the most recent edition of the USNI "Proceedings" magazine,
a supposed professional journal for members of the sea services, US Coast
Guard Adm Yost authors an article titled Swift Boats: Hard Day on the Bo De

{Click on the title to read the article on your browser or download it}

Then Commander Yost was the Task Group Commander (CTG115.4) of the
southern region, and took command of an operation on April 12, 1969 up
the Rach Duong Keo, supported by Captain Roy Hoffman flying overhead
in a US Navy Seawolf UH-1 Gunship.

The operation was perhaps the most significant disaster for Swift Boats
during the entire war.

In this article, Admiral Yost attempts to put the blame for the results of
this operation on the incompetence of Roy Hoffman, the Swift sailors, and
the Vietnamese Marines. He specifically accuses Hoffmann of purposedly
failing to provide gunship support for the rescue attempts for a disabled
Swift Boat.

The timing and tone of the article appears to be a blatant attempt to again
discredit the leadership of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Here is my reply to the Proceedings magazine:

Quote:

To: The Eforum of USNI Proceedings
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004
Subject: Cdr Yost's Article "Swift Boats: Hard Day on the Bo De"

I was the officer-in-charge of a Swift Boat in Vietnam.

Altho my tour was not concurrent with Commander Yost's tenure
in the southern part of Vietnam, I have, for the past two years,
been researching and assembling narratives and images of all
the periods of Swift Boat operation from 1965 thru 1970.

The incident that is the subject of Cdr Yost's article is well
known to most Swift Boat sailors and has been documented
in another article (by Peter Upton) and a film by Tracy Droz
Tragos ("Be Good, Smile Pretty") who was the infant daughter
of the officer-in-charge KIA in PCF-43 on April 12, 1969.

Based on the after action reports filed by Cdr Yost, and also
by Capt Hoffman, plus inputs of information and images by
Swift Boat and UDT sailors that were present that day, I have
generated a web page presentation of the engagement and the
aftermath of that tragedy: (See my page and Upton's article)

............... Silvermace II and Death of PCF-43 ...............

The almost obsessive theme of Cdr Yost's article is that his
boss, Capt Roy Hoffmann, somehow subverted Yost's
command of this operation by purposely failing to provide
helicopter gunship support in a timely manner as requested
by Yost. His implication is that Hoffmann was incompetent
and/or was at the root cause of the disaster that day by
failing to provide helicopter gunship support.

This allegation is most assuredly incorrect as evidenced by
Yost's own report of the action filed contemporaneously.
See the excerpt from Yost's report, certified by Ltjg D. E.
Wright. The helicopter gunships, with Capt Hoffmann on
board, were overhead and providing gunfire support as
Cdr Yost (in PCF-31) and PCF-5 rescued the survivors
of the beached, damaged and under attack PCF-43.

There are numerous other errors in Yost's article: the action
took place on the Rach Duong Keo, not the Bo De. There
were thirteen (13) Swifts involved in the operation, not nine.
PCF-38 notified Yost that PCF-43 had been disabled after it
had also been damaged trying to provide assistance, etc etc.

But it is the tone of the article, with its attitude that everyone
on this operation was somehow incompetent ("My .50-caliber
gunner had quite a gut in him") or cowardly (The VN Colonel
is quoted as saying "I can't move because we're up against at
least a company") and it was only his professionalism that let
him report that "It was a relatively successful operation. We
had a large body count - a lot of sampans sunk, a lot of pigs
and chickens killed"

I do not believe that anyone involved in that operation would
have characterized it as anywhere successful. Especially in view
of the total destruction of PCF-43 and the WIAs and KIAs of
US and Vietnamese soldiers and sailors involved. And BTW,
Yost omits even mentioning the complete and total decimation
of the Swift Boat at the center of the ambush. As seen in the
attached image, it is hard to tell that it once was a Swift Boat.

Without a doubt, it was one of the most significant disasters
involving Swift Boats during the entire war. And Yost was in
charge of it ... at his own request.

Both the tone, the assertions, and the timing of this article in
the Proceedings is somewhat troubling to me. Does the fact
that Roy Hoffmann is leading a group of Swift Boat veterans
in bringing forth the truth about Swift Boat operations in early
1969 have anything to do with Adm Yost's attempt to denigrate
the reputation of an honorable officer of the US Navy?

I certainly hope this is not the case.

Robert B. Shirley

Last edited by rbshirley on Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:06 am; edited 2 times in total
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that this is incredible. I've always had the utmost respect for the Coast Guard sailors in Viet Nam. When they were there, they always seemed to get the worst and most dangerous missions. For them to attack the swiftvets now is beyond belief. This has to be the action of a single isolated individual who has stewed on some isolated event for the past three plus decades and has grown bitter with time. I'm sure that this view is not shared by the other Coast Guard swiftees. Just like a few isolated Navy swiftees who support Kerry, there are probably a few Coast Guard swiftees who are doing the same.
Some of this probably stems from the fact that most of the public doesn't even know that the Coast Guard was in Viet Nam, much less that they had the highest casualty rate of any service branch there. Recognition for these guys has been neglected far to long.
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have long since switched my membership from the Naval Institute to the Naval Order and my subscription from from Proceedings to Naval History...unlike Proceedings, Naval History primarily deals with Facts. It is frequently rife with episodes that swell a patriotic heart with pride, as opposed to the soft, politically correct tripe that passes in Proceedings. Furthermore, there has been an ongoing debate in Proceedings for several years regarding the fact that people do not feel free to contribute without fear of reprisal for their dissenting or alternate views. It simply is NOT an objective, peer reviewed publication. This last is the latest in a long, slow downward spiral. What will be truly interesting is if Pro-Swifty responses are allowed in subsequent issues of Proceedings.
BS Biology, Business Administration, Nursing
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
!!!!!! LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
cgc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Yost Reply with quote

I really don't know what the article is trying to say. I read it three times and still came away with the feeling this "Coastie" is trying to make ADM Hoffman somehow responsible for a lot of blind luck on the Viet Cong's part, and supposed poor planning on not sending in the helo's in on the initial run up the canal. Also he glossed over the role of the 43 crew and a lot of other people in removing the crew of the 43 boat from the bank. To be honest, I think this one is strictly political. I can't believe that he got the name of the canal wrong, anybody who was on that operation will never forget the day, the operation or the actions of all the crews during the ambush. By the way I remember the FWD gunner he talks about, I saw him after we beached and remember his wound. He wasn't that fat, just a big guy with ill fitting flak jacket and pants. Does anyone remember how hard it was sometimes to find a flak jacket or flak pants that fit.

cgc Swift Crew 6C, 68-69
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember how hard it was to find a flak jacket. I never did did have the flak pants; I used to use two vests. I used one as a vest and tied the other on like a skirt. Anyone remember how freaking hot those things were?

I've re-read the article several times now. I don't think anyone is really attacking the swifts. Two different commanders will conduct an operation in two different ways and both will be right. Hoffman was concerned with getting the helos there with sufficient fuel to support. Yost was on the scene and had consented to going another mile in at the request of the marines. Yost should have confirmed the receipt of the radio message to Hoffmam. All this is hindsight. This was one of those classic fog of war situations. The VC had some remarkedly good luck that day and we didn't. Any discrepancies between the account today and the real thing many years back is attributable to just failing memories.
kmudd
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone in the Kerry camp had any contact with Guard Adm Yost before he wrote the article?
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All this is hindsight

Yeah.. it is..... All of this election seems to be hindsight... but some accept it... some preach it, and say, "I am a hero", and some say it happened and we have to improve what we have learned..... who is waht... or what is who? Who has a heart and who doesn't?

Who thinks for the AMERICANS and who thinks for THEMSELF (selfish)?

damn... sorry, have to go to bed... couple of hours past my bedtime...
Desert Shield/Desert Storm
Texas Army NG 13E FDC
BTRY B 3-133 Arty
RogerRabbit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The timing and tone of the article appears to be a blatant attempt to again
discredit the leadership of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

I cannoit speak for the evets in the article, but as for timing, the former Commandant of the Coast Guard would in all probabiliy have no control over.
The article is only an exerp of his oral history of which ihas been a historical practice for many years.

Paul Yost retired in 1990 after his stint as Commandant (1986-1990) and would have done that oral history several years ago and in no way done for this political season

As for the publisher's motives I have no idea

More info on Yost Oral History

http://www.usni.org/oralhistory/Y/yost.htm
Quote:

Based on 11 interviews conducted by Paul Stillwell from May 2001 to November 2001. The volume contains 587 pages of interview transcript plus an index and photos.

Last edited by RogerRabbit on Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ccr
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All of this election seems to be hindsight.

You've got that right, Mr. Japan.

No matter how many times we go over it, nothing will change anything that happened in South East Asia. No matter how many times the collapse of the WTC or the flames rolling off the Pentagon is replayed on TV or in our own minds, nothing will change. Except the future.

http://www.learnthat.com/quiz/
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this material a few times now and it seems to me Yost was wrong or lying about the presence of helicopter gunships, he was wrong or lying about the name of the river, he was wrong or lying about the number of swift boats in the operation and wrong or lying about its reputation as a success or a disaster. That's four wrongs or four lies. I'd say that pretty well debunks Yost's version of events, whether he lied or simply forgot the details. We'll never know if it was politically inspired because Slick Kerry and his gang of charlatans are masters of nuance, not too much unlike another slick liar we know about.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a retired coastie I stand ashamed. Under Yost's watch resources were stretched so thin that the service was very hard pressed to accomplish the basic missions. His knee jerk reaction to the drug war in the carribean set the stage for an entire coast (the west) to become a virtual hiway into the U.S. not just for drugs but illegal immigrants from China. This was proven true after his departure with the interdiction of some of the largest tonnage of drugs in history and the interdiction of shiploads of chinese trying to make it to the U.S. and the ensuing decades of virtual slavery they faced.

It was under his watch some of the most damaging oil spills hit our shores, most visibally the Exxon Valdez incident. I lay that one right in his lap when he civilianized the VTS without allowing for noted and needed improvements in the system that dated back to the opening of the center.

Further, when Desert Shield came around it was his relief that had to scramble to find the resources to respond to the increased demands and frankly, the CG almost fell short in that regard. We lacked the training, the equipment and if it wasn't for the unwavering will of the coasties dedicated to doing their job I seriously doubt we could have accomplished the mission.

Admiral Yost lacked the "chutzpah" to stand his ground to get the resources and manpower he needed. From his oral history and from what I experienced under his command, it appears to have been more than just a one-time event.
RogerRabbit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Further, when Desert Shield came around it was his relief that had to scramble to find the resources to respond to the increased demands and frankly, the CG almost fell short in that regard. We lacked the training, the equipment and if it wasn't for the unwavering will of the coasties dedicated to doing their job I seriously doubt we could have accomplished the mission.

And of course the Congress had nothing to do with this - I retired in '74 and we scraped, begged, and yes even stole to keep our ships and aicraft running because the CG was never important enough to get trhe proper funding - and that has not changed until 911 and Pres Bush. Had it not been for the Naviy"s surplus property we would have been lost.

Quote:
It was under his watch some of the most damaging oil spills hit our shores, most visibally the Exxon Valdez incident. I lay that one right in his lap when he civilianized the VTS without allowing for noted and needed improvements in the system that dated back to the opening of the center.

And naturally the captain's drinking bout on the night of the grounding and the fact that he was not on the bridge during this critical transition had little consequense did it?

I guess we can be like democrats and try to lay the blame somewhere else
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I read Admiral Yost's commentary and your response. I can't imagine that the commentary was intended to discredit the Swift Boat Vets for Truth, and, as has been pointed out in a previous post, it was probably written long before this Presidential Campaign. While there probably were serious differences in the assessment of the tactical situation of that particular engagement between the On Scene Commander (Admiral Yost) and Admiral Hoffmann at the time, I can't see any connection to anything about Kerry.

What is most distressing to this Coastie is that this commentary seems to have been taken as an example of oppositon by Coasties in general to the objectives of SBVT.... (Title of thread). I think that is unfortunate.
RogerRabbit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is most distressing to this Coastie is that this commentary seems to have been taken as an example of oppositon by Coasties in general to the objectives of SBVT.... (Title of thread). I think that is unfortunate.

Unfotunately that is the way I read the thread, RB lumped all Coasties in one basket and I resent that.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool it guys. I read and reread this with great interest. I did not interpret rbshirley's posting in a way that all Coasties are just like Yost. In fact, it seemed to me that he singled out Yost and the story was painted narrowly for just this one officer who differed from one other officer. It seems to be a simple "choice of words" problem. In haste, I've been criticized several times ove the last month, each time for typing something in haste that I later wished I had not. Our enemy is not each other. We have only 27 days left and need to focus on the real bad guy. Now, shake hands and come out fighting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: