SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Undecided Voters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Undecided Voters? Reply with quote

I have been amazed at the number of undecided voters this year.

IMHO anyone undecided at this point either

(1) has not paid any attention to the world for the last 3 years, 2 years, 1 year, 6 months and therefore is too disengaged from life in the United States to be trusted with voting, or

(2) is so emotionally insecure that they are waiting so they can vote for the "winning" team. In this case these undecideds are too immature to be trusted with voting and should wait while they spend the next 4 years developing a sense of self and getting in touch with their values and character.

So unless you have just come out of a coma, which I consider a legitimate reason for #1, I suggest that these undecideds spend November 2nd doing something they really enjoy

Then there is this from Kerry spot.

Kerry Spot - National Review:
ARE THERE LOTS OF SWING VOTERS? OR WISHY-WASHY DEMOCRATS? [10/06 01:16 PM]

Blogger Dan Straight contends that Mark Penn is wrong, and there aren't lots of undecided voters swinging between Kerry and Bush this year.

The battleground surveys seem to show Bush holding steady at worst... The state-by-state numbers on Tradesports.com come up with the same breakdown as VP: Bush 295, Kerry 243..........
This suggests that the debate reenergized some of Kerry's previously demoralized base on the coasts, but didn't help him much where it counts. This renewed excitement among the base would also explain why there are suddently a lot more Democrats in many national surveys.

But remember, a decent chunk of Kerry's base really doesn't like him - they just hate Bush. emphasis added When Kerry looks like he might get rid of Bush, they get excited and tell pollsters they're definitely going to vote. When it looks like Bush will probably win, Kerry's base disappears. I think this explains why there have been a few wild swings in the polling despite the fact that there really aren't many swing voters. It's not (so much) the people in the middle who are switching between Kerry and Bush (pace Mark Penn) - it's the people on the far left switching between Kerry and none of the above.

IMHO -- none of the above has more substance, good character, and potential for being a successful POTUS than this Kerry opportunistic fake.[/i]
JCBoston
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undecided voters = Unregistered Democrats
Geano
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jataylor11

Quote:
(1) has not paid any attention to the world for the last 3 years, 2 years, 1 year, 6 months and therefore is too disengaged from life in the United States to be trusted with voting, or

(2) is so emotionally insecure...

Heh...Heh...
I work in in an alcohol/drug rehab....about two thirds of them didn't even know who was Cheney, who was Edwards, and which was the VP....

Registered? Yep, every one of em...do that at client intake!...

Sometimes I fear for the future of this nation...
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geano ---

Maybe they will relapse and either vote for the pink elephants -- or just stay in that drug/drink induced stupor and stagger into the bar or crack house instead of the polling place....

(Sad, sad, sad while shaking my head)
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even close.........just finished my absentee ballot and will drop it in the mail tomorrow.

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disappointed in this kind of talk. I don't care what you or I think about "undecideds;" I don't care what's between their ears, behind their ears, or how little they think. We need their votes!

And we need the vote of every Democrat who can be persuaded to change.

Knocking these two groups is NOT going to get their votes.
Geano
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe they will relapse and either vote for the pink elephants -- or just stay in that drug/drink induced stupor and stagger into the bar or crack house instead of the polling place....

Actually, it sometimes provides me an opportunity to suggest... .well, you know...
joeshero
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNDECIDED VOTERS:
Most of them, I believe, are those who are living in a reality-TV bubble world. Who are more interested in what Jennifer Lopez is wearing than what the Al Qaeda is planning to do. Those who are more interested in watching Paris Hilton than knowing a little bit about the real world. The MSM obviously have poisoned the society.
Geano
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, Joeshero, that's what makes them important...

we need to take every opportunity to inform..
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working a Bush/Cheney booth at a home and garden show last weekend. We had the “W-04” window or bumper stickers on the table. I was totally amazed at how many people asked what the stickers meant.

I saw an older guy with a beard and a very long hair braid down to his waist. He was wearing a Viet Nam Wall shirt and a Viet Nam Veteran hat with military pins and rank insignia all over the hat. He was also wearing camouflage pants and combat boots. He was slowly strolling down the aisle. When he got near our booth, I said, “It looks like you could use a Bush sticker.” He replied angrily, “I haven’t made up my mind yet!” I said nicely, “I spent some time in Viet Nam myself, when were you there?” He replied even more angrily, “I don’t have time to talk to you!” and jogged to the end of the isle and around the corner to get away from me. Our booth was on the corner of two isles so I saw him again slowly strolling down the next isle, but he would not make eye contact. Something told me the undecided voter was not undecided and had never been in Viet Nam. It is amazing how many posers you meet.
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
I'm disappointed in this kind of talk. I don't care what you or I think about "undecideds;" I don't care what's between their ears, behind their ears, or how little they think. We need their votes!

And we need the vote of every Democrat who can be persuaded to change.

Knocking these two groups is NOT going to get their votes.

You miss the point -- if someone is undecided at this point they are either "faking it" or aren't paying attention. I believe if someone is that disconnected from understanding what is going on in the world --- especially after 9/11 --- then I question whether they should be voting in the first place.

Voting in a democracy is a sacred privilege -- it is a right that all should be given unless they forfeit that right. Criminals forfeit their rights to vote because they demonstrate they cannot live with the legal bounds established by a civilized society. The uninformed should forfeit their right to vote because they demonstrate that they do not care enough about their society to remain informed about the issues or candidates.

Too often people say they will vote for a candidate and end up parroting some talking point they have heard. This happens in all parties, candidates, etc. -- However, when you scratch the surface with these individuals you find that they either have no idea of why they believe what they do end up expressing some core value that is better represented by the candidate or party they oppose rather than the one for whom they voice support.

A vote is too precious, too important, too often won with the spilt blood of those wonderful servicemen and women who have fought for this country to waste on those too lazy to educated themselves out of their ignorance.

Last edited by jataylor11 on Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You miss the point -- if someone is undecided at this point they are either "faking it" or aren't paying attention. I believe if someone is that disconnected from understanding what is going on in the world --- especially after 9/11 --- then I question whether they should be voting in the first place.

And I think my point is being missed. So what constructive purpose does griping about undecideds do, and on this forum? People who are members of this forum are not going to elect George Bush all by themselves. The race is getting closer and closer. Change some votes! But to do that, we've got to quit griping about the "ejits."
JCBoston
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best illustration I can find of the code words "undecided voters" so far is from the Communist News network:

Quote:
An ABC News snap poll showed Cheney the winner, aided by a more-Republican audience, while a CBS News poll among undecided voters showed the opposite.

So for the upcomming town hall debate you now know what to expect from these "undecided voters" that will be the "impartial" audience.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with undecided voters at this late point is you have to be the last one to talk to them on the way into the booth or they may change their alleged minds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: