SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Democrat rallies for Bush :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of a VET
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Democrat rallies for Bush :) Reply with quote

Quote:
Democrat rallies for Bush

Sunday, October 10, 2004
ERIN ALBERTY
THE SAGINAW NEWS
Republicans loaned a Democrat their microphones Saturday afternoon at a rally featuring Georgia Sen. Zell Miller and other Bush supporters at TheDow Event Center atrium in Saginaw.

Miller, a Democrat, questioned presidential candidate John Kerry's ability to win the war on terror, continuing an attack he launched as the keynote speaker at the Republican National Convention in August in New York.

"I wish the leaders of my party had the same will to win this fight that the president does," Miller told a crowd of a few hundred.

He defended the war in Iraq with a brief Southern allegory on a nest of copperhead snakes he found under his porch in Young Harris, Ga.

"I didn't go to the city council and get some resolution passed ... I just took a hoe, and I killed those copperheads dead as doorknobs," he said. "I guess you could call it unilateral action, or maybe a pre-emptive strike. Certainly there was no global test."

He accused Kerry of voting against "every single major weapons system that won the Cold War and that is now winning the war on terror."

Kerry spokesman Rodell Mollineau said Miller lacks credibility, noting he "couldn't say enough good things" when he introduced Kerry at a banquet two years ago and is known as "Zig Zag Zell" in Georgia.

"It's almost to the point of absurdity," Mollineau said.

Miller said his loyalty to Bush stems from the president's decisiveness, calling him "the one man I know will never waver, never wobble or never go weak in the knees."

Following is a question-and-answer session with Miller that preceded his speech:

Q: The U.S. armed forces found a CD in Iraq containing information on several different schools, including one in Saginaw County, raising concerns about the possibility of another terrorist attack on the United States. What are the differences between the Bush plan and the Kerry plan to fight the war on terror?

Miller: "What if on Sept. 12, 2001 ... George Bush had said, 'In the next three years we're not going to have any more attacks from terrorists in the United States.' We would have all been extremely happy, wouldn't we? We would have found it even maybe a little hard to believe. And yet that's what's happened. He has kept this country safer because he took the fight to Iraq and Afghanistan and against the terrorists in their territory. ... Kerry did not want to do that. ... I just see George Bush as a very strong, almost Churchillian, leader that is really relentless in his desire to keep this country safe at all costs.

Q: Reports this week indicate that Saddam Hussein hadn't pursued his nuclear weapons or chemical weapons programs for quite some time. Why then is Iraq a relevant target in the war on terror?

Miller: I'm not convinced that one of these days we're not going to see that there were weapons of mass destruction. Certainly, he used weapons of mass destruction on his own people. He had time to move them into other areas. But even without that, it was important that we take this tyrant down. Elections are being held today in Afghanistan, and elections will soon be held in Iraq.

Q: In Friday's debate, Kerry argued that the U.S. carries 90 percent of the casualties and the costs in Iraq, responding to Bush's claims that the coalition he built is sufficient ... Is a 10 percent non-American contribution, in your eyes, enough international support?

Miller: It's kept America safe, and that's always the bottom line. That's the price that one must pay for keeping America safe.

Q: But ... in talking about actual foreign assistance in the military effort, is 10 percent enough to win this?

Miller: I think we would all like to see more people helping us. One of the things that people tend to forget is that we have got a great ally over there in Pakistan. Pakistan is helping us track down these terrorists. We also overlook the fact that a lot of the Iraqis themselves are involved. They're not counting Iraqi deaths in that. Iraqis are dying in large numbers trying to beat down the insurgents. And it's not just the insurgents. It's terrorists coming in there from other countries, from Syria and Iran. These terrorists would probably be coming into the United states. Instead, they're coming into Iraq to fight us there.

Q: The latest employment reports show a net loss in jobs during Bush's term. Do you think Bush is more likely to reverse that trend than Kerry is?

Miller: I think the trend is being reversed as we speak today. We've had over 2 million new jobs created since August of last year. They talk about how many jobs since Herbert Hoover and all that, but you've got to keep in mind that we lost (1 million) jobs in this country in a three-month period immediately after 9/11. Nothing like that has ever happened in this country's history. So we're not just looking at the stock market bubble that burst ... we're also looking at a country that was attacked, and thousands were killed on our own soil. Airlines for months on end were operating at losses, having to lay people off. That's a lot to overcome, but we're overcoming it.

Q: So you think that Bush can do a better job than Kerry in restoring jobs?

Miller: Yes, I do. Kerry's whole domestic policy is to tax, to spend, and to redistribute income. If you raise taxes, that's terrible for job creation. When you lower taxes, it's good for job creation.

Q: To say that Kerry's domestic policy is "to tax, to spend, to redistribute income" sounds kind of like the words of a Republican. Do you still consider yourself a Democrat?

Miller: Yes. When I vote for George Bush on November 2nd, that will be the first Republican that I've ever voted for anything in 52 years of voting. Of course I consider myself a Democrat. But I'm not a John Kerry Democrat. I'm a conservative Democrat. At one time, there were a lot of conservative Democrats. John F. Kennedy was a conservative democrat. John F. Kennedy was strong on national security and cut taxes. That's my kind of Democrat. v

http://www.mlive.com/news/sanews/index.ssf?/base/news-12/109740386625860.xml
God Bless Z. Miller Very Happy

Stolen Honor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: