SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Memory long forgotten

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusteak
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: A Memory long forgotten Reply with quote

I would like to introduce myself; many of you have been conversing with each other for quit a while now, I feel as though I might be intruding here – but I have been reading this web site for months now, although you do not know a thing about me I feel as though I know many of you. My hesitation on signing up on these boards and posting here is I am not a Vietnam Veteran; I was only 13 years old when this conflict started.

At the age of 15 I decided to become a Candy Striper for the Red Cross at our local Veteran’s Hospital, I did not agree with my peers who saw the anti war genre for the access it gave them to drugs and sex. I saw the whole conflict differently; I agreed with my parents who felt the only thing wrong with the Vietnam Conflict was it was not a Declared War - that hindered our troops sent over in harms way, they were not given the equipment, weapons and the manpower that was needed. My father served in World War II felt that without a Declared War the people of America would never understand how important this conflict was, or the sacrifice our young men were being asked to give. He served for 5 years in World War II; he was second wave on D-Day; and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He understood what war was and how hard it is to come back and try to continue a normal life – that’s when America was fully behind its troops. “America” he said “needs to feel we are at War, sacrifice needs to take place on the home front so that there is a mutual understanding between those who come home from battle and those who greet them home. That’s why I decided to volunteer my weekends to help those coming home from the Vietnam War, I wanted to be there for them, like I would want someone there for my 2 brothers who were old enough to be drafted, if their number would have been picked they would of gone, that reality weighed on me a lot.

My memory of volunteering as a Candy Striper was very vague; but when I saw John Kerry on TV I realized I had seen him before. I couldn’t understand why I felt such hatred for this man, but as it was pointed out he was that angry man who testified to Congress about atrocities and whom I saw on the Dick Cavet Show then my memories came flooding back. It was then I started to remember how upset the young men I took care of at the Veteran’s Hospital, you see I was assigned to the paralyzed ward, what John Kerry said about them hurt them so bad they could not help but relate their disdain for this man to a 15 year old girl – who had the time to sit and listen. These young men who where facing a life time in a wheel chair and pain, for doing their duty for their country – for putting themselves in harms way to save not themselves but others. Memories of the stories I heard of the monsters the Viet Gong where putting hand grenades in the hands of a three-year-old child sending them to blow up the American Troops. The child’s face is all they could remember–the look of terror–and how they could not save this little one, no mention of their own injuries. This kind of story I heard over and over, with the heartbreak that one of their own would call them the monsters. These boys were not monsters, they were not the raping - pillaging type of young men – even at 15 - I could see how much respect they gave me. These were America’s youth, our brothers, fiancé’s and peers - who grew up on farms, in suburbs and the cities we all call home. I became very depressed; I started to think that my world was set upside down.

That is how I feel now; once again this man Kerry is twisting our youth’s sacrifice for his own gain. I’ve read the book “Unfit for Command” it reconfirms my opinion of Kerry, but lately the once powerful ads from the Swift Boat Vets are not getting the same reaction from those around me. I explain the details of Kerry’s dishonesty getting his metals, his lies to Congress, but what I get now is disbelief, they fluff it off as another political book and the Swift Boat Vets as part of the Bush Admin. The only thing that convinces them is how the Swift Boat Vets came together when Kerry started running for President giving speeches about how he got his metals, his “I am a Hero stories” the battles he claims earned him the Purple Hearts–until then many who served with Kerry had no idea the very excursions they went out on are the ones that Kerry sites his injuries took place on–how shocked these Vets were to find out that what the majority of those that served with Kerry remembered as a non combat situation are Kerry’s memories only–no enemy fire–no injuries–no after action reports-when those who served with Kerry started to contact each other to confirm their own memories is how this group got started – that’s when I get their attention again and respect for the Swift Boat Vets returns. I do believe the basics need to be explained – I think it would be very powerful.

Thank you Swift Boat Vets, POW Vets and all Vets for your service then and now – of course my check is in the mail.
Rolling Eyes
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Great Post and welcome aboard. Not all are vets on this board.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusteak, hello and welcome.

You need not be a Vietnam veteran to post here and join in. Several have never served in the military, yet are here to show their support for veterans, support for the Swift vets and POWs, and to show their disdain for Kerry.

Your story is very moving. Working with our guys after their broken bodies were shipped back home and helping them to regain use of their bodies puts you right in the thick of it all too.

I, for one, would like to nominate you for a Honorary Veteran status. Ladies like yourself have been very crucial in the recovery of our veterans. Good job!
ashter
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Rusteak Smile
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

When I was young and foolish and in uniform, I stayed out in the cold and rain too long and managed to get into a nasty tangle with pneumonia. Bad enough that the Corps decided it was a good idea to put me in the hospital for a while.

When you're an 18 year old guy and far from home and laid up helpless in bed while all your buddies are out having fun, it can be rough.

The highlight of my day (when I wasn't too feverish) was "my" Candy Striper. She made my stay bearable. She spent the time with me that the nurses and doctors couldn't.

Simple stuff. Writing letters, bringing me the latest Heinlein book, sneaking me in a cigarette (yeah, well. It was a different world back then....)

She was just a kid. Braces. Freckles. Pigtails (the Pippy Longstocking kind!) and energy for *days*. Her name was Allison. I have no idea what the names of any of my nurses or doctors were.

While you may not have been a Vietnam Veteran (neither am I), I admire you wearing the uniform of the Candy Striper. You "served" just as much as I did. And I thank you for your service. And NO ONE can take that from you.

Certainly not John Kerry.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
George F. Thompson
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Memories long forgotten Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Rusteak.
Thank you for your compassion and care of the wounded veterans.
I'll second the motion of nominating you as an Honorary Veteran.
I do believe it was John Kerry's wish that most Americans had a short memories. It didn't quite work out that way. He just now realizes that many veterans have memories that are "seared" in their minds. Once again, Welcome aboard.
George F. Thompson, Msgt (Ret). USN/USAF
reconflyer
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusteak,

Take heart, many will not accept the truth for whatever reason they choose... they may be guillable, partisan, or have other motivation for not believing the anecdotes and evidence before them.

Still, many will understand the message. This is very important. Many veterans understand, especially veterans from Kerry's era. The Swity's message resonates long and true with them. The message also resonates with people who were alive and cognizant back then. The message may hit them in the right place to know that this guy is not the one they should vote for. That's what's important. This effort will result in contemplation... soul-searching... "can I really vote for that guy?"

If you were thirteen during Vietnam, then I am even younger than you, but the message is making its mark on my peer group. As a military member, most of my friends in the ranks do not support Kerry, still some do... a riddle that I may never solve. I have the uncomfortable duty of not going overboard on my insistence that they should not support Kerry, but there are a couple of knuckleheads that have already drank the Kool-Aid, there's nothing we can do for them now.

Thank you for supporting this cause, and thanks for all of you service you have offered...

I will throw my vote in for you honorary veteran status as well!

Shoot, anyone who will voluntarily work in a military hospital during a time of conflict can only be described as a veteran in my book!

reconflyer
Cazador
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and carry the motion of Honorary Vet.

Thanks for your service too!

Cazador
Becky
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. I'm not a veteran, just married and related to them
and the only one in the family allowed to touch the 'puter... Very Happy
What an eloquent intro that I know means a lot to many here.

As to changing mind sets - well - some people are baby boomers
of the hippy generation and others are their off-spring...Very Happy so no
matter what you say or do you will not change their minds.
But you will change at least one and one person will domino...
so take heart.
join him, for then it costs nothing to be a
patriot.”
- Mark Twain
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cazador wrote:
Welcome and carry the motion of Honorary Vet.

Thanks for your service too!

Cazador

My wife and I throw an annual Vetearn's Day party. The tradition was begun by myself and a Jar Head (notice I capitalized to show respect). The first party was November 11th 1972.

We have kept the traditon alive. Over the years we have come to define "veteran" as, "Have you ever been through really tough times in your life and come out of it alive?"

You are invited to this year's veteran's party.

Sam
Misty
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to welcome you, Rusteak, and thank you for your service. What girls like yourself did for our vets was immeasurable. My brother came back from Vietnam on a stretcher. He was not wounded. He had an infection in his heart valve and died last year as a result of the damage. Thank you and all the girls like you who were there to make his many hospitalizations over the years better.
Brother was on the USS Regulus - Vietnam
Husband was AirForce 3rd (34th) Tactical Fighter Wing - Security Police Bien Hoa Vietnam
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: A Memory long forgotten Reply with quote

Rusteak wrote:

Thank you Swift Boat Vets, POW Vets and all Vets for your service then and now – of course my check is in the mail.
Rolling Eyes

Welcome aboard! you don't have to be a vet here... . I 'lurked' around for awhile also. My dad was in WWII and I knew a few Vietnam Vets years ago.... we just need to love our country and our military!

That was a great thing you did as a young person - for the young men and for yourself!
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
ATACKM
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusteak, Welcome aboard ! By caring for wounded soldiers, and for volunteering as a "Candy Stripe" I believe you can consider yourself a veteran. I thank you, and again I welcome you !
http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: