SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Franks Clobbers Kerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stupson
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: General Franks Clobbers Kerry Reply with quote

Retired Gen. Franks criticizes Kerry

By MARTIN GRIFFITH, ASSOCIATED PRESS

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Retired Gen. Tommy Franks launched a four-state campaign swing for President Bush by criticizing Sen. John Kerry's anti-Vietnam War activities and voting record on the military.
Franks, former commander of forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, faulted Kerry's votes on major weapons systems and intelligence issues, and against the 1991 Gulf War.

"If his voting record ruled the day, Saddam Hussein would not only be running Iraq but Kuwait," Franks told about 200 people Sunday at a Reno rally.
"The choice is very, very clear. We need decisive, strong, no-backing-down and no-equivocating leadership," he said.

Franks praised the Democratic challenger's military service during the Vietnam War, but said Kerry's later anti-war activities upset him.

"The men I served with in Vietnam weren't war criminals and I'm proud I served with them," Franks said.
Kerry spokesman Sean Smith accused Franks of distorting Kerry's Senate voting record.

"He reads (Bush political aide) Karl Rove's talking points very well," Smith said. "John Kerry voted for the largest defense appropriation in American history and the largest intelligence appropriation in American history. No matter how many attacks they make on John Kerry, it won't obscure the fact that George Bush has gotten us into a quagmire in Iraq."

Kerry never branded any U.S. troops in Vietnam as war criminals, Smith added.

"The men who served with him in Vietnam are with him in his campaign and have been with him for 35 years," he said. "I think that says it all."

The rally in Nevada - a battleground state where polls show Bush and Kerry running about even - marked Franks' first appearance for Bush since the Republican National Convention.

Franks, a registered independent in Florida who has voted for both Republican and Democratic presidential candidates, said he decided to endorse Bush because of his handling of the war against terrorism.

Other terrorist attacks during the Clinton administration went largely unanswered by the U.S., he said.

"I know a commander in chief when I see one and there's only one on the ballot," Franks said. "After September 11th, we were blessed to have a commander in chief who said enough is enough.

"There are two options: to fight them (terrorists) over there or to fight them over here. I'm an over-there-kind-of-guy," he said.

In an interview before the rally, Franks said he doesn't foresee an endless cycle of violence in Iraq, and he thinks violence will diminish after the Nov. 2 election.

"I believe they (insurgents) are influenced by what they see in our media," he told The Associated Press. "They see if they blow something up it's front-page news ... (and) the presidential candidates will talk about it.

"After Nov. 2, that dynamic will leave. The problem won't go away, but it'll be diminished ... This will be a long process, but there will come a time when the insurgents have less opportunity to create mischief for us," he said.

Franks said he also expects the January elections in Iraq to be held as scheduled, and foresees the day when U.S. troops will leave there.

"Some say that day will never come, but I say it'll come and probably sooner than later," he said. "(But) we ought to stay away from time frames and time schedules. The quickest way to give an advantage to the enemy is to set deadlines."
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to Main Forum

How's that for a switch? Wink
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kerry spokesman Sean Smith accused Franks of distorting Kerry's Senate voting record.

Ah, so now a mere Kerry spinmeister can call Franks a distorter of the record? So much for listening to the generals in the field.

Quote:
"He reads (Bush political aide) Karl Rove's talking points very well," Smith said. "John Kerry voted for the largest defense appropriation in American history and the largest intelligence appropriation in American history. No matter how many attacks they make on John Kerry, it won't obscure the fact that George Bush has gotten us into a quagmire in Iraq."

But the votes against America and her military and intelligence services far outweigh any positive voting abberations by Kerry.

Quote:

He said they routinely committed war crimes and atrocities. That makes them war criminals by definition, but not legal conviction. I guess that is what he meant to say, huh?

Quote:
"The men who served with him in Vietnam are with him in his campaign and have been with him for 35 years," he said. "I think that says it all."

It all depends on the meaning fo the term "served with" doesn't it?

Quote:
"I believe they (insurgents) are influenced by what they see in our media," he told The Associated Press. "They see if they blow something up it's front-page news ... (and) the presidential candidates will talk about it.

"After Nov. 2, that dynamic will leave. The problem won't go away, but it'll be diminished ... This will be a long process, but there will come a time when the insurgents have less opportunity to create mischief for us," he said.

That is currently the biggest crime of Kerry and the DNC: doing the work of the terrorists by tearing down Bush and American resolve, and formenting a divide in the country's support of the war. This is PRECISELY what the terrorists want. Anyone with a wit of a brain can see that and not deny it.

I only disagree with Franks on one point: I don't see Kerry or the DNC stopping their attack on Bush after the election, win or lose, and soldiers will die because of it.
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three GIANT cheers for the administration on this one.
noc
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: General Franks Clobbers Kerry Reply with quote

stupson wrote:

Kerry never branded any U.S. troops in Vietnam as war criminals, Smith added."

Quoted from Kerry's 1971 Senate Testimony:

I would like to talk, representing all those veterans, and say that several months ago in Detroit, we had an investigation at which over 150 honorably discharged and many very highly decorated veterans testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia, not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command.

He must have been referring to some other troops in Southeast Asia, not the ones in Vietnam.

What was this guy smoking?
Truegrit
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Thank God for Tommy Franks Reply with quote

Tommy Franks is a real stand up guy. I wish more of the senior military leadership (retired obviously) would come forward, along with more senior U.S. leaders of all kinds.

We cannot allow Kerry to put his coiffed head on a white house pillow. He does not deserve the privilege of leading young men and women in the military after his betrayal of the Vietnam Vets.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:

He said they routinely committed war crimes and atrocities. That makes them war criminals by definition, but not legal conviction. I guess that is what he meant to say, huh?

I propose a new paradigm for understanding the emanations of one Senator John Kerry:

Mr. Kerry was said to be a "star debater" at Yale.

One key strength of debaters is the ability to debate an issue from any angle, pro or con, yea or nay, regardless of personal opinion.

Kerry proves himself a debater only - in being able to take multiple positions on an issue, sometimes in the same sentence - while simultaneously proving he has no central core beliefs nor morality nor leadership qualities.

Leaders do not debate issues from multiple angles; their opinions have a consistent moral basis; they make decisions and stick to them; they LEAD.

-- FDL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: