SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should the British be contacting our voters?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Should the British be contacting our voters? Reply with quote

I found this on a Birtish Forum, IDF50. It seems that the British newspaper The Guardian is encouraging its readers to write to voters in Clark County, Ohio, one of the most marginal areas in one of the most marginal states and encourage them to vote for Kerry.

What do you think, is this legal, ethical?

http://guardian.assets.digivault.co.uk/clark_county/
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent this email to them. This is infuriating!

I am an American and I am greatly offended and angered at your efforts to influence the election for President of my country. Many others are aware of this and are equally outraged. Our country opens it's doors to you and your fellow citizens in a very trusting and friendly way. You are abusing this friendship and it will not be tolerated. I have forwarded this and any related information to our federal agencies for review.

I sent this link to FBI and the Bush campaign! Also to Drudge

Update: I called the FBI - they told me to contact Federal Election Commision - www.fec.gov so I did Twisted Evil
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the page:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The result of the American election in less than three weeks could have huge consequences for the whole world. Yet those of us outside the 50 states have had no say in it. Until now, that is.

In the spirit of the Declaration of Independence's pledge to show "a decent respect to the opinions of mankind", we have come up with a unique way for non-Americans to express your views on the policies and candidates in this election to some of the people best placed to decide its outcome. It's not quite a vote, but it's a chance to influence how a very important vote will be cast. Or, at the very least, make a new penpal.

It works like this. By typing your email address into the box on this page, you will receive the name and address of a voter in Clark County, Ohio. You may not have heard of it, but it's one of the most marginal areas in one of the most marginal states: at the last election, just 324 votes separated Democrats from Republicans. It's a place where a change of mind among just a few voters could make a real difference.

Writing to a Clark County voter is a chance to explain how US policies effect you personally, and the rest of the world more generally, and who you hope they will send to the White House. It may even persuade someone to use their vote at all.
A few tips about writing to Clark County:

Be courteous. Remember that it's unusual to receive a lobbying letter from someone in another country. Think about how you would respond if you received a letter from Ohio urging you to vote for Tony Blair – or Michael Howard . . .
Don't make any assumptions about the voter with whom you have been matched. His or her name comes from the publicly available voters' roll. The voter has not registered any party affiliation. (We don't want individual Clark County voters bombarded with lobbying letters so this site will assign only one name and address to each user – please don't pass yours on to anyone else.)
Explain why you think they should pay the slightest bit of attention to what you think about their election. Remember, charm will be far more effective than hectoring.
Of course, who you urge your voter to support is entirely up to you. On October 20 we will publish a selection of the most persuasive letters to Clark County in the Guardian. To have yours considered, please email a copy to clark.county@guardian.co.uk.

That, for now, is our part. Over to you.
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's to keep us from contacting them and sending Pro Bush emails?
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you believe the people of Clark County can think for themselves?

Maybe we do not like it but they (the Brits) have rights also - Just like Kerry's sister meddling in the Aussie elections

Doubt if their is any illegality in this
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerRabbit wrote:

Maybe we do not like it but they (the Brits) have rights also - Just like Kerry's sister meddling in the Aussie elections

Exclamation Question Question Question Question Question Exclamation
WebTalk
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read those 3 example letters linked from the main article.

Excerpts:

Letter #1
"Probably no American president in all history has been so universally hated abroad as George W Bush: for his bullying unilateralism, his dismissal of international treaties, his reckless indifference to the aspirations of other nations and cultures, his contempt for institutions of world government, and above all for misusing the cause of anti-terrorism in order to unleash an illegal war - and now anarchy - upon a country that like too many others around the world was suffering under a hideous dictatorship, but had no hand in 9/11, no weapons of mass destruction, and no record of terrorism except as an ally of the US in a dirty war against Iran."

Letter #2
"First of all, if you back Kerry, you will be voting against a savage militaristic foreign policy of pre-emptive killing which has stained the great name of the US so hideously in recent times."

Letter #3
"Before 9/11 gave him his big break - the neo-cons' Pearl Harbor - Bush was written off as an amiable idiot, certain to serve only one term. An idiot he may be, but he is also sly, mendacious and vindictive; and the thuggish ideologues who surround him are dangerous."

I hope that anyone who sends an American family such a letter, especially during a wartime election when it is likely they have a relative serving in harms way, gets exactly what they deserve.

How arrogant!
Darkhorse18
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Email Reply with quote

Here is my email: Please save your postage we get enough junk mail as it is!
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerRabbit wrote:

I think the Clark County voters are quite capable of thinking for themselves and any emails they receive will push them towards Bush.
Fort Campbell
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the Page where The Guardian has listed ways to contact the media in other Swing States?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1325803,00.html

This disgusts me. Evil or Very Mad
shadowy
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason they don't have a say in the outcome of our elections. We whipped their pale colonialist a** and told them to stay out of our business!
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had sent this to Boortz and he was just reading it on the radio. He says he has quite a following there and has asked his listeners there to send any of these emails they get and HE will respond to them.

He also said there was a panel discussion by one of the British TV, Radio or Newspapers (I can't remember which) yesterday about how the British should be allowed to vote in OUR elections!
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roon wrote:
I had sent this to Boortz and he was just reading it on the radio. He says he has quite a following there and has asked his listeners there to send any of these emails they get and HE will respond to them.

He also said there was a panel discussion by one of the British TV, Radio or Newspapers (I can't remember which) yesterday about how the British should be allowed to vote in OUR elections!

way to go!
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Are they suggesting that they should become our 51st state! Wink
Roon
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone called into Boortz and said this was a spoof. I went to the main page of Guardian and followed it through to the article and it sure looks real to me (Boortz didn't buy it was a spoof either.) So I put an old clicked to have a voter's email address sent to me just to see what I get from them and so far nothing....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: