SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many days in hospital for three(3) Purple hearts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJ
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Kerry's Record Reply with quote

That is a good point about the award service times. I had not looked at that. Unfortunately, the paperwork to apply for the awards has not been released.

I am not sure if it is significant, but the released records show that Kerry requested release from active service on 24 Nov 69, not 3 Jan 70 as documented in his site. 3 Jan 70 was his release date, not 1 Mar 70 documented on his site. Very sloppy work.

I also find it interesting that he would be promoted to full LT 2 weeks after the orders to release him before his release and 2 days before release.

In addtion, page 1 of the Fitness Report dated 18 Dec 69 is missing.

Food for thought.

FYI: I am collecting links to Vietnam related site at www.sportsmenforkerry.com/links.htm#vietnam. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by CJ on Fri May 14, 2004 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
CJ
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Correction Reply with quote

Corrections integrated into previous. Sloppy work on my part.
K9vietvet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 20 year military vet, I am aware of who is "suppose" to recommend and/or write PH's. As senior officer on the swiftboat, Kerry would have recommended his subordinates for any citations. he likely recommended himself for those "serious" injuries that he received. Personnaly, I am convinced that her did. I received wounds that required 17 days in the hospital at Long Binh, but never asked for nor received a PH. Kerry got THREE without a single day in the hospital. I don't in any way feel slighted nor do I feel I should get a PH 33 years later, but I sure do consider his 3 quite cheap. I'm also not a politician.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can an officer write himself up for a silver star? Or can he make a deal with his top enlisted man? A tit for tat sort of thing.
K9vietvet
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "FULL" disclosure of documents would be beneficial in this case. It seems Kerry has chosen to release select documents that reinforce that he was some sort of a "hero". Hopefully, he will be pressured into releasing ALL of the docs at some point. It's not real likely, but am confident it would shed some light on the matter and reveal the truth. It's really sad that a guy like this can actually cheapen the term "hero" like he has.
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the fact all three of Kerry's PH certificates were signed on August 12, 1969 raise any eyebrows?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
Would the fact all three of Kerry's PH certificates were signed on August 12, 1969 raise any eyebrows?

Just a little higher than the fact that the citation for one of his stars was re-written - possibly more than once.
colmurph
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN173 wrote:
Me#1You#10 wrote:

Not only no offense taken, but I'll confirm your observation. For a short time, I was the A&D officer for one of my Army units. It was de regeur to submit ALL enlisted personnel for the Army Commendation Medal and ALL officers for the ARCOM plus the Bronze Star. I penned so many of those submissions that I can almost quote the "boilerplate" verbatim.

"(Rank) John Doe's performance of duty reflects great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army"

Those were humourously dubbed the "no clap" awards and were given to ALL who made it through their tours with no negative marks in their service records.

We should perhaps add for the "Woofoos" here that both these awards can be awarded as stated above, doing a good job. (no clap) However, for the Army, both can also be awarded with a "V" device which requires at least being in a hazardous situation Cool .

WRONG! The Bronze Star with "V" device connotates 'HEROISM IN GROUND COMBAT" not just being in a hazardous situation. If no actual fighting is taking place, ie bullets flying around, then the proper award for Kerry would have been the Navy and Marine Corps Medal. I had a similar situation on an amphibious assault when one of my men stepped off the ramp of a Mike-8 boat and got sucked back under towards the propellers. I went in after him and dragged him up on the beach. I got a Soldiers Medal because there wasn't any shooting going on at the time. We started taking fire about 15 minutes later when we moved off the beach but that doesn't count.
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there were "bullets flying around." The boats were under heavy fire at the time Kerry pulled the man out of the water.
CJ
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Stars and Vs. Reply with quote

That is all and fine. My question is, with a man overboard, what would have been the reaction if John had ordered not to go back because of the fire?

And while we are at it, is this medal supposed to excuse his behavior for the following 30+ years?

Not to belittle any award winner, but I don't think a Congressional Medal of Honor should move you up to Presidential Candidate:

Other Bronze Star award winners in history:
Timothy McVeigh - executed for the OK City bombing
J Fife Symington - former Gov. AZ convicted of defrauding lenders as a real estate developer, pardoned by Clinton.
betsyross18
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
Who recommended Kerry for the silver star?

George Elliott.

----"But I ended up writing it up for a Silver Star, which is well deserved, and I have no regrets or second thoughts at all about that," Elliott said. A Silver Star, which the Navy said is its fifth-highest medal, commends distinctive gallantry in action. ------

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/service.asp
betsyross18
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colmurph wrote:
WRONG! The Bronze Star with "V" device connotates 'HEROISM IN GROUND COMBAT" not just being in a hazardous situation. If no actual fighting is taking place, ie bullets flying around, then the proper award for Kerry would have been the Navy and Marine Corps Medal. I had a similar situation on an amphibious assault when one of my men stepped off the ramp of a Mike-8 boat and got sucked back under towards the propellers. I went in after him and dragged him up on the beach. I got a Soldiers Medal because there wasn't any shooting going on at the time. We started taking fire about 15 minutes later when we moved off the beach but that doesn't count.

The Bonze Star with "V" device is not limited to ground combat. The regulation simply excludes aerial combat.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/medals/pages_wh/10_bronzestar.html

Kerry's boat had hit a mine and was taking small arms fire from shore, and his crew was returning fire. That usually qualifies as combat.

-----Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry was serving as an Officer-in-Charge of Inshore Patrol Craft 94, one of five boats conducting a Sealords operation in the Bay Hap River. While exiting the river, a mine detonated under another Inshore Patrol Craft and almost simultaneously, another mine detonated wounding Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry in the right arm. In addition, all units began receiving small arms and automatic weapons fire from the river banks. When Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry discovered he had a man overboard, he returned upriver to assist. The man in the water was receiving sniper fire from both banks. Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry directed his gunners to provide suppressing fire, while from an exposed position on the bow, his arm bleeding and in pain and with disregard for his personal safety, he pulled the man aboard. Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry then directed his boat to return to and assist the other damaged boat to safety. Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry's calmness, professionalism and great personal courage under fire were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. ------

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/service.asp
Warthog
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My service record includes a copy of the OM authorizing the PH for me and the other five Navy Corpsmen in 1st Mardiv who were wounded on the same day in I Corps. I didn't know this until after I got out of the service two years later.

I would think that Kerry could produce some similar indicia.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be highly probable that, when rebuffed in his initial attempt to have himself awarded the first PH, he delayed the submission until he had been re-assigned to another unit. He had all the documentation he needed and, not being familiar with the nature of his "wound", any subsequent commander would have been hard-pressed not to submit it.

Nor would they be familiar with the allegation by the treating physician that he had been told by 2 members of that same mission that Kerry's "wound" was not the result of enemy action, but was, instead, self-inflicted.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: