SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swift Vets and POWs For Truth
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HistoryBuff
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Swift Vets and POWs For Truth Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a big time history buff. I've probably seen and read more on the history of the previous century than most people of my generation. I was born around the same time the Vietnam War was ending (1971). My uncle served in Vietnam and lost an eye to it. I have the utmost respect for all veterans of war and I support efforts to make truthful documentaries.

I've seen quite a few documentaries on the war and just recently watched "Stolen Honor." I think it's a fairly good film and should've been produced much sooner. My only criticism is the timing of it. Showing it only a few weeks prior to the election just makes it look like an anti-Kerry propaganda film aimed at helping George W. Bush get re-elected. That's a shame because it's an important part of the history of the Vietnam War. This story should've told a long time before now. All this time, most people have only been shown only bits and pieces of the true story. I believe many people do have some false impressions from Hollywood films that aren't always truthful. I'll also be watching the film "Going Up River" to try to gain yet another perspective and to compare and contrast the two.

I salute the Veterans of Vietnam and wish all of you the best.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: History filmaking and timing. Reply with quote

HistoryBuff wrote:
Showing it only a few weeks prior to the election just makes it look like an anti-Kerry propaganda film aimed at helping George W. Bush get re-elected.

Perhaps because it IS an anti-Kerry propaganda film aimed at making sure Kerry doesn't get elected.

Welcome to our forum.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Showing it only a few weeks prior to the election just makes it look like an anti-Kerry propaganda film aimed at helping George W. Bush get re-elected.

.......and perhaps it is because Kerry brought up the subject to start with.
Get your current history down also

Welcome to our forum
HistoryBuff
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: History filmaking and timing. Reply with quote

HistoryBuff wrote:

Why wait until now? Why let 30 years go by without telling this story?

John Kerry wasn't running for CIC, and if you think this effort is some type of elective lark for these honored Vets, your knowledge of history is as shallow as your knowledge of the trauma that this preposterous FRAUD has caused untold numbers of Vietnam Veterans.

Admin note: My apologies...while attempting to "quote" from your post, I inadvertently "edited" it. Please feel free to replace this with your original post.
GeorgiaBoy
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a vet but I could imagine that being spat upon, ridiculed, heckled and physically abused upon returning home might have something to do with the long, long silence.
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: History buff ?? Reply with quote

How did the old monk burn in Sigon??

Where did he spend the nite before he "burned".

Was there any "investagation by any "journalist" of the "events"

leading up to the "burning"?

Who made the call that made sure there would be a photo and film of it.

Can you tell me where Ted Kopple was at around that time.

Who sent the film to the U S.

Who makes History, and if History is a lie what do you propose as
one who is a "buff of history", do to MAKE HISTORY TRUE ONCE MORE?

What unanswered questions could John Kerry help with to help with
making History "whole again"?

other than that have a nice day
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HistoryBuff wrote:

John Kerry wasn't running for CIC, and if you think this effort is some type of elective lark for these honored Vets, your knowledge of history is as shallow as your knowledge of the trauma that this preposterous FRAUD has caused untold numbers of Vietnam Veterans.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HistoryBuff you might be familiar with Napoleon's quip,
"..histoire cest un fable convenue."

Kerry and his fellow travelers in the press and media have dominated the story 'areed upon' these past 30 years. Major films depict and army of drugged rapists ala Kerry's testimony. The networks periodically issue 'White Paper' reports on the heinous nature of the military in Southeast Asia. Drug addled Viet Nam vets run amok is still a staple of TV crime dramas. Viet Cong and NVA atrocities and duplicity was ignorred among the pangerics to Ho and Giap. Nixon and Kissinger were the wicked masterminds of the mess started by Kennedy and mismanaged by LBJ.

The vets themselves went their seperate ways and got on with their lives. Burkett's book "Stolen Valor" was the first to crack the lies that predominated. If Tom Hayden or Jane Fonda had run for national office these men might have come forward earlier. They didn't but now Kerry has. Even so the media continues to disparage the truth and the Kerry campaign attacks the messengers in the hope of delaying or destroying it.

It's safe to say that the popular representations of Viet Nam and the supposed nobility of the anti-war movement have been (in the words of Henry Ford) more or less bunk.
HistoryBuff
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
HistoryBuff wrote:

You're edit above is ok. It still asks the same question.

I just trying to point out that I think this story should've been told a long time ago, before John Kerry ever was elected to the Senate. Being a U.S Senator is also an important office to hold. If there was so much objection to his having power and influence why let it get this far to begin with? Why wait until until he's running for President? That in itself begins to make it look like support for George W. Bush. If there was a credible objection and credible people to challenge his testimony, to the senate, why wasn't it brought forward before now?

Last edited by HistoryBuff on Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
GeorgiaBoy
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon HistoryBuff, who cares what whackos MA sends to the Senate, after all they already have Teddy...
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HistoryBuff wrote:
If there was a credible objection and credible people to challenge his testimony, to the senate, why wasn't it brought forward before now?

I suppose one could ask the same question about your recent enrollment in this forum.

Combating his dismal and ineffective 20 year record as junior senator from MA wasn't worth the trauma of dredging up the painful memories of the Vietnam era until he threatened to bring his brand of "patriotism" (small p) to the Oval Office.
HistoryBuff
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
HistoryBuff you might be familiar with Napoleon's quip,
"..histoire cest un fable convenue."

Yes I'm familiar with the phrase, "What is history but a fable agreed upon."

Hollywood makes films that essentially fables. Some are based on true stories but by the time the script is final the true story is abandon in favor of more action, romance and drama.

Documentary makers have a different responsibility. They are supposed be truthful and revealing. Stolen Honor is most likely both of these. That sad thing is that it loses credibility because of poor timing. The timing forces the viewer to question of it's just something to help Bush win and that makes it difficult to separate it from the rest of the (Deleted by Admin)

Admin note: Your characterization will not stand in this forum. I would suggest that if it accurately states your position, you had better go elsewhere to state it.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HistoryBuff:

You need know nothing of GWB to know Kerry is unfit.

Kerry ran as the anti-war candidate in Mass. in '72 and lost. Mass was the only state to carry McGovern in '72...go figure. Kerry's portraid himself as the hero of 'Nam ever since. Only the small handful of Swifties knew the truth but it didn't come to their attention until Kerry's leap to the national stage repleat with self aggrandising biographies. The running dog lackies of the DNC continue to prattle that one port call and 4 months is TWO tours which only proves they're clueless or lying.
GeorgiaBoy
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then, If the timing is not right, history should not be corrected?
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

History Buff is a new troll to the group, please tell him good by and nice try.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: