SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Douglas Brinkley
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigchief
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Douglas Brinkley Reply with quote

I unfortunately live in New Orleans, home to Kerry propagandist, Douglas Brinkley. Brinkley is a professor of history at the University of New Orleans, a state funded university that receives enormous amounts of federal dollars, courtesy of John Breaux and Mary Landrieu. He is a staunch democrat, on the lines of Maureen O Dowd. He receives funding from a chair as the head of the Eisenhower center for American Studies, which I find repugnant and dishonorable to Ike.

My comment is how can we affect his work? Can we eliminate the funding for his chair? His biography of Kerry was obviously propagandist nonsense. Why should taxpayers money go to fund this gibberish? To support my point, his other work includes biographies of Jimmy Carter, Hunter S. Thompson, Rosa Parks and several other democratic icons. He came to fame for being the assistant of noted historian and author Stephen Ambrose, who pinned "Band of Brothers" and "Saving Private Ryan". Brinkley was also the hack who plagairized another author, submitted the work to Ambrose as original work which Amborse included in one of his last novels. The oversight cost Ambrose some loss of credibility and much embarassment when uncovered by the press.

Is this doable, Swiftees?
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Brinkley is the 'Stephen Ambrose Chair' you're not likely to access the notes that would prove him the source of Ambrose's plagiarism. UNO won't be happy with an attack on an endowed chair but an Academic Review Board might go after him. Send lawyers, guns and money....or some respected academics.

How someone who has an avowed contempt for the military holds the Ambrose Chair at the Eisenhower Canter is beyond me.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brinkley was also the hack who plagairized another author, submitted the work to Ambrose as original work which Amborse included in one of his last novels. The oversight cost Ambrose some loss of credibility and much embarassment when uncovered by the press.

Wow, never heard of that before. So the hagiographic "Tour of Duty" isn't the first time Brinkley has stepped on his own, um... tie, then?

So, who did he plagiarize and for which of Ambrose's books? Where can we find out more about this?

Every little bit in the arsenal against Brinkley is a good thing. Wink Thanks!
Darkhorse18
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just see if Brinkley would like to go to Cambodia for Xmas! Shocked
peter
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a political hack and not a very bright man.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an accomplished historian is a very respectable station in life whereas being an accomplished partisan hack will get you a eulogy no one remembers.

Btw, Welcome to the boards bigchief.

Last edited by GenrXr on Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
sleeplessinseattle
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
As Brinkley is the 'Stephen Ambrose Chair' you're not likely to access the notes that would prove him the source of Ambrose's plagiarism. UNO won't be happy with an attack on an endowed chair but an Academic Review Board might go after him. Send lawyers, guns and money....or some respected academics.

How someone who has an avowed contempt for the military holds the Ambrose Chair at the Eisenhower Canter is beyond me.

Welcome to academia where non-reality rules and anything goes! Evil or Very Mad

Thanks W, Swifties, POWs & brave soldiers everywhere fighting for America and for freedom
granny23
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambrose frequently helped himself to the words of others. Here is an article about the subject.

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2072336

I am no fan of Brinkley's but I don't think he was responsible for all of this.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

granny23 wrote:
Ambrose frequently helped himself to the words of others. Here is an article about the subject.

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2072336

I am no fan of Brinkley's but I don't think he was responsible for all of this.

The German who started sociology was said to have never read a book because he did not want to be tainted or influenced by others. Often when I think of brilliant people such as Ambrose I wonder how much is truly theirs or by their sheer genious of recollection something gleamed from another. It is often hard to distinguish this line and my suspicion is that Ambrose was guilty of believing in God far more then copying another persons work for self fufillment and this belief in God led his detractors to their mission.
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When John O`Neill wrote, " Unfit For Command " he not only unmasked John Kerry he also made us understand that Douglas Brinkley`s book, " Tour of Duty " was more fiction than reality. In fact, Adm. Roy Hoffman, founder of SBVT, has stated more than once that it was Brinkley`s book of lies, distortions and exaggerations that was the catalyst that got him moving.

Here is our problem: We know John O`Neill is an honest and honorable man and Brinkley is little more than a democrat operative and con man. Yet, since liberals write the history books, O`Neill will be branded as the dirty trickster whose unfair tactics and distortions led to the demise of their hero, John Kerry.

The solution to the problem: Keep this forum and movement alive and encourage authors like Bernie Goldberg to write the accurate version of the efforts we have made to stop a pretender from becoming our Commander in Chief.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also see this thread:
http://www2.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16882

I actually ordered a copy of "TOD" and it's on the way.

I'm hoping we can gather a team and break it up into blocks of pages to debunk what needs debunking. As much bunk as is in there, we'll probably need shovels.

Or a backhoe. Confused

Sign in on that thread if you're interested in starting to take a look under the hood.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still go back to my point in another thread about Kerry and the MSM.
Before the election, they were determined to get him elected just to
get rid of W. Now that he has hinted at another run in 2008, they will
set about to destroy him. As the truth comes out about Kerry, the
truth will also come out about what a pack of lies TOD is.

Another thing is that the American people are not stupid. I had always
been skeptical about Brinkley when I would see him on various talk
shows - even before he wrote TOD. Those who saw him defending
John Kerry and the lies he had written about Kerry will remember
and he will be discredited in the minds of those people. It may not
cost him the chair since the university obviously does not care what
kind of propaganda it allows to be presented in its history classes,
but he will no longer be able to present himself as an objective,
scholarly historian.
granny23
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that Brinkley's position is not only safe at UNO but other universities are interested in him, including Tulane.

http://nola.com/search/index.ssf?/base/library-61/11001600158350.xml?nola
bigchief
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: NO prize, Granny Reply with quote

Yes, Tulane is interested, but that is no prize. Tulane is one of the most liberal schools in the country. That would ok in the Northeast, but the South is pretty damn conservative. UNO is definitely nothing to be proud of, a third tier school at best.

I think Brinkley is a product of Democratic patronage, via Landrieu, Breaux, Jefferson and crew, and does his masters' bidding. If nothing else, the subject matter for the majority of his latest work are democratic icons - Carter, Kerry and Rosa Parks. On a recent talk show, he clearly indicated his political views were solidly Democratic. I find this offensive. Historians are presumably non-partisan and honest recorders of history. He, however, makes no effort to conceal his bias. He should not teach if he cannot temper his bias. Otherwise, it is political propaganda, not history. The US is not Nazi Germany or China, history should not be subject to political winds.
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be ready for an all out attack against Adm. Hoffman in the coming months by those Brinkley has recruited. These will be people who served with Adm. Hoffman during his tour in Vietnam. When asked during one of his TV interviews why he was so hard on Hoffman in his book, TOD, he responded something like this, " compared to what will be coming out about Adm. Hoffman after the election you will find that I was more than fair to him." Brinkley knows that if he can soil the reputation and credibility of the Admiral he may yet save himself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: