SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UNO Acquires John Kerry's Vietnam Journals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Ann Parker
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: UNO Acquires John Kerry's Vietnam Journals Reply with quote

I am posting this article separately from the woven web of all
things Kerry.

My reason is to make everyone aware that clean or dirty, those
journals are supposed to become public.

As you know, it was Brinkley who helped pique the interest of
the media in the Swiftees contention that Kerry was not telling
the truth. We have that documented in many places.

I just wanted this to be quickly available for anyone that needed
to know. It became more immediate when Kerry started his
rumors of a lawsuit against Regenery Press and John O'Neill.

Just FYI
Mary Ann

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/dispatch/2002-11-12/news_feat2.html

NEWS FEATURE 11 12 02

UNO Acquires John Kerry's Vietnam Journals

Douglas Brinkley says the journals will help launch a new direction for the Eisenhower Center -- and a new book about Kerry.

By Michael Tisserand A year before he is expected to officially launch his bid for the White House, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry is donating his extensive materials related to both his military service in Vietnam and his efforts protesting the war to the Eisenhower Center for American Studies at University of New Orleans, says Eisenhower Center director Douglas Brinkley.

* Read rest of story on the link.
Mary Ann Parker
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Navy Chief's Link To Reviews Of Same! Reply with quote

Great find!!!!

Here's a link to the book's reviews. Note the people and what they had to say. No wonder each of these people were pissed when "Unfit for Command" hit the streets.

http://www.uno.edu/%7Eeice/projects_publications_duty.htm

- Chief
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not uncommon for material like this to have conditions and restrictions applied as to who has access to the material. Anyone who wants to see this should proceed cautiously and reveal as little about why you want to see it as possible. In fact, I'd recommend that the members of this forum organize a designated research team (with "cover story," if necessary), and that everyone else stay away from it.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "donation" of documents was in 2002, as was this article. So what happened to Brinkley's protest only recently that Kerry had exclusive control over his diaries, and reporters should ". . . go ask him (Kerry) . . . " for any data from them?

Kerry had tried to dodge some questions about his Vietnam diaries by saying they were not under his control, but Brinkley's, which seems to agree with this "donation" to Brinkley's center. But Brinkley denied that.

Nest of liars.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't catch the 2002 date. This, then, may mean exactly what I meant.

True story - my great uncle was a "tent mate" of Col. Harold Johnson, later Chief of Staff for the Army under LBJ, while they were both POWs in a Japanese POW camp in the Philippines. I learned that Johnson kept a set of diaries during his internment, and that they were in the archives at the War College in PA. Since they undoubtedly mentioned my great uncle, I wanted to see them. What I learned was that I could ONLY access them by getting one of Harold Johnson's living relatives to write a letter to the director of the archives authorizing me to see them. I did and did see them.

This sounds like the same kind of deal, and neither would be technically lying. Brinkley could correctly say that you had to get permission from Kerry, and Kerry could correctly say that it (or they) were in the control/possession of Brinkley.

But one way or the other, it doesn't sound like anybody who is even remotely connected to the SVPT will ever get access to them.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anker-Klanker wrote:
Quote:
". . . and neither would be technically lying. Brinkley could correctly say that you had to get permission from Kerry, and Kerry could correctly say that it (or they) were in the control/possession of Brinkley.

I hesitate to give Kerry any credit for truthfulness at all. Passing the buck to Brinkley for permission to open the diaries would be equivalent to General Johnson (if still alive at the time of your request) telling you that you would have to talk to the folks at Carlisle Barracks about his diaries - "They have custody of them . . ."; while knowing that their "custody" does not include discretion over "access."
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Boston Globe article glorifying his life, there is a section of his journal included that is labeled, “Excerpt from a type-written journal kept by John F. Kerry during his tour of duty in the Vietnam War.” From everything I’ve read here and elsewhere the past few months, Kerry didn’t carry a typewriter with him. This leads me to believe much of his “journal” and diary was written at his leisure, after his return. I’d be willing to put money down that he has made sure what is now being released has been well sanitized too.

Kerry Journal Excerpt
cgc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Kerry's Journal Reply with quote

What a silly load of crap, That journal excerpt is the stupidest thing I have ever read about Viet Nam, I wonder if he actually believes himself.

CGC
Timberwolf
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Kerry journal:
"You wake up with a start thinking that something is wrong and you grab the bars over your rack and swing down onto the metallic deck in the main cabin. Suddenly you are really awake and realize sheepishly that the startled concern that consumes you is prompted only by the conglomeration of noises that fill POF 44 and the fitful sleep that has characterized the nights on patrol"

I have a question for a Swift Vet. From what Ive read the swiftboats were on 12 hr. patrols, not 24/7 shifts, which would require every one to get some sleep whenever they could. So were you really allowed to sleep while on patrol, or would this be considered deriliction of duty? Rolling Eyes
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timberwolf wrote:
Quote:
I have a question for a Swift Vet. From what Ive read the swiftboats were on 12 hr. patrols, not 24/7 shifts, which would require every one to get some sleep whenever they could. So were you really allowed to sleep while on patrol, or would this be considered deriliction of duty?

According to Steve Gardner's version of the sampan incident in which the Vietnamese civilian family was killed and which Kerry reported to the Navy as a "victory" over the enemy, Kerry was nowhere to be found as that incident unfolded, and had he been on duty as expected, the whole thing might have been avoided. I think Gardner actually speculates that Kerry may have been below sleeping - from my memory of Gardner's version only.

It is so typical of Kerry to take his own mess and turn it into a dramatized boost for himself.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:
In the Boston Globe article glorifying his life, there is a section of his journal included that is labeled, “Excerpt from a type-written journal kept by John F. Kerry during his tour of duty in the Vietnam War.” From everything I’ve read here and elsewhere the past few months, Kerry didn’t carry a typewriter with him. This leads me to believe much of his “journal” and diary was written at his leisure, after his return. I’d be willing to put money down that he has made sure what is now being released has been well sanitized too.

This is the infamous "sugar plums" passage from the diary which attests in Kerry's own words that he was at Sa Dec on Christmas Eve of '68 (his only Christmas Eve with Swift Boats), not in Cambodia.

He may have had access to a typewriter at base camp. I know I typed up some letters home at night on CQ duty in my battalion aid station. He may have typed it later from handwritten notes. Adam Walinsky may have written it for him. I wonder if the Boston Globe compared the original copies for typeface against MS Word? Rolling Eyes Where was the diary copy obtained from - maybe a Kinko's in Texas? Shocked Or a university mail room in New Orleans?
Mary Ann Parker
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Go To This Post On This Same Page/Forum @ The Moment Reply with quote

Guys,
Read this post very carefully.
Notice the item about Kerry having a handler, etc.
Also, make a timeline of the contradictions in Kerry's version of
most everything versus others.
???
Mary Ann

mtboone
Founder

Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:09 pm

Post subject: Interesting read regarding jfk PH
cgc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Length Of patrols Reply with quote

All of my patrols were at least 24 hours long I don't know of any 12 hour patrols but there might of been some. When we left base it was always for 24 hours, sometimes longer.

cgc 68-69 PCF Crew 6C
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guys,
Read this post very carefully.
Notice the item about Kerry having a handler, etc.

Mary Ann, I saw the reference to "handler" in another thread:
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17461
but couldn't find it in this one. Did I just miss it? Or are you referring to the other thread?

What do you suppose the "handler" reference was about? Some time ago I opined that sKerry must have had a mentor who was looking out for his interests, but I was thinking of someone higher up the chain of command, or at least someone who could influence it.

"Handler" is a word that is usually used in the espionage game.
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timberwolf wrote:
From Kerry journal:
"You wake up with a start thinking that something is wrong and you grab the bars over your rack and swing down onto the metallic deck in the main cabin. Suddenly you are really awake and realize sheepishly that the startled concern that consumes you is prompted only by the conglomeration of noises that fill POF 44 and the fitful sleep that has characterized the nights on patrol"

I feel this is an exemplary error by the Globe, probably THE exemplary error. They are trying to be the authority on Kerry's life and his military stint.
But they didn't know enough about it, to even discern there was an error made in transcribing Kerry's diary into a story. If they couldn't get "PCF-44" right, then it stands to reason they did little to no analysis of anything else, either.

The story went through transcription, story line, editing, proof-reading, No one knew what they were talking about..........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: