SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry in 1971: "60 to 80% Vets stoned 24 hrs a day"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Kerry in 1971: "60 to 80% Vets stoned 24 hrs a day" Reply with quote

An excerpt from Kerry's 1971 Senate testimony on the rampant use of drugs:

Senator Symington: There have been many reports of widespread use of drugs by U.S. servicemen in Vietnam. I might add I was in Europe last week and the growth of that problem was confirmed on direct questioning of people in the military. How serious is the problem and to what do you attribute it?

Mr. Kerry: The problem is extremely serious. It is serious in very many different ways. I believe two Congressmen today broke a story. I can't remember their names. There were 35,000 or some men, heroin addicts that were back. The problem exists for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the emptiness. It is the only way to get through it. A lot of guys, 60, 80 percent stay stoned 24 hours a day just to get through the Vietnam-

Senator Symington: You say 60 to 80 percent.

Mr. Kerry: Sixty to 80 percent is the figure used that try something, let's say, at one point. Of that, I couldn't give you a figure of habitual smokers, let's say, of pot, and I certainly couldn't begin to say how many are hard drug addicts, but I do know that the problem for the returning veteran is acute because we have, let's say, a veteran picks up at $12 habit in Saigon. He comes back to this country and the moment he steps off an airplane that same habit costs him some $90 to support. With the state of the economy, he can't get a job. He doesn't earn money. He turns criminal or just finds his normal sources and in a sense drops out.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual he was wrong!

Only 10 or 15 percent of us stayed stoned 12 hours-a-day and only on Park Lanes and Carling's Black Death. Embarassed

The other 12 hours-a-day we were on duty. Wink
The Ghost
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe kerry was stoned when he wrote that he was in cambodia ??
lrb111
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 35,000 or some men, heroin addicts that were back. >>>>>>

Anyone ever hear of drug treatment occuring for these 35,000 that would be making the voyage back from VN?
I was a licensced drug and alcohol counselor, beleive me, someone would have noticed 35,000 vets going into withdrawal on the trip home.
SonTestedShelter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry in 1971: "60 to 80% Vets stoned 24 hrs a day& Reply with quote

Dabba55 wrote:

A lot of guys, 60, 80 percent stay stoned 24 hours a day just to get through the Vietnam-

Sixty to 80 percent is the figure used that try something, let's say, at one point.

Do you see the hypocracy there, or am I the only one?
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YA!!! RIGHT.

THE GREAT FIFTY-EIGHT
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R*E*S*P*E*C*T find out what it means to me...kerry can't give it and he doesn't deserve it.

He's a bum plain and simple and only bums support him. If you think that's harsh then there's no hope for you. I feel sorry for those kerry victimized not for kerry the self serving victimizer.
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry in 1971: "60 to 80% Vets stoned 24 hrs a day& Reply with quote

Dabba55 wrote:
Mr. Kerry [ON THE FLIP]: The problem is extremely serious. It is serious in very many different ways. I believe two Congressmen today broke a story. I can't remember their names. There were 35,000 or some men, heroin addicts that were back. The problem exists for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the emptiness. It is the only way to get through it. A lot of guys, 60, 80 percent stay stoned 24 hours a day just to get through the Vietnam-

Senator Symington: You say 60 to 80 percent.

Mr. Kerry [ON THE FLOP]: Sixty to 80 percent is the figure used that try something, let's say, at one point. Of that, I couldn't give you a figure of habitual smokers, let's say, of pot, and I certainly couldn't begin to say how many are hard drug addicts(FLOP)

Amazing, an almost instantaneous FLIP FLOP!!

How did the Senate ever take Kerry seriously? Even the most inexperienced backwoods country lawyer could have immediately cut this self-contradictory testimony into little itty bitty pieces.

FDL

BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is the only way to get through it. A lot of guys, 60, 80 percent stay stoned 24 hours a day just to get through the Vietnam-

Maybe I’m just naïve or blind. I spent 20 months of my two-year tour at Vung Tau and Cat Lo (Kerry’s haunts for his last month or so). In my entire tour, I can’t remember a single incident of drug use among any of the men there. We might have had a bit too much beer from time to time, but I never saw anything else. It just wouldn’t have been tolerated. If there was any drug use, then the crew member doing it was very accomplished at hiding his habit. As I recall, we had no draftees in our unit, everyone a volunteer, volunteers usually have their heads screwed on straight and are, for the most part, reliable.
Dabba55
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel personally feel that this particular slander did great damage to returning vets, because Hollywood picked it up and portrayed Vietnam vets as hopeless, drugged out losers. This had to have serious consequences for the way the public in general viewed Vietnam vets.

It also, in particular, created a presumption which each and every vet had to overcome in facing potential employers.

Kerry, along with Fonda et al, contributed greatly to this perception.

Imagine doing this, something so morally wrong, to promote one's political career. He almost made a clean getaway folks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: