SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Callsign: Boston Strangler
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Callsign: Boston Strangler Reply with quote

Call sign: Boston strangler
May 13th, 2004

Thomas Wright was one of John F. Kerry's fellow Swift boat officers in Vietnam. Since Wright outranked Kerry, he was Kerry's sometime boat group Officer-in-Charge, so Wright had occasion to observe Kerry’s behavior and attitudes, and the circumstances surrounding his early departure from the war zone. The intervening years have not dimmed his memories.

When the Swift boats of Coastal Division 11 sailed into harm’s way from their Phu Quoc Island base of An Thoi, for missions along the rivers of Vietnam’s southwesternmost Kien Giang and An Xuyen provinces, they communicated by radio. When they did, boat captains adopted distinctive, often humorous call signs for identification purposes. Eldon Thompson was “Mary Poppins,” William Schachte was “Baccardi Charlie,” James T. Grace was “Twiggy,” and Tom Wright was “Dudley Do-Right.” When John Kerry radioed another Swift boat, he used the call sign, “Boston Strangler.”

Lieutenant Thomas W. Wright heard that call sign frequently. As OIC (Officer-in-Charge) of PCF-44, he operated with LT (j.g.) Kerry’s 94 Boat on a fairly regular basis. A 1966 graduate of the University of North Carolina’s NROTC program, Wright had served as communications officer aboard the destroyer USS Robert A. Owens before beginning Swift boat training in November 1967. He had already served for eight months with Qui Nhon’s Coastal Division 15 when the monsoon season forced its boats to be shifted to the more protected, and more challenging waters off An Thoi. He decided to extend his tour and follow his disciplined, veteran crew to the new base. As the relatively senior lieutenant there, he was the OTC, or Officer-in-Tactical Command for the majority of the 3-to-6-boat missions. On most of them he commanded 44 Boat.

The rivers and canals of Kien Giang and An Xuyen provinces were the targets of Commander, U.S. Naval Forces, Vietnam, Rear Adm. Elmo Zumwalt’s aggressive SEALORDS operations. Looking back after all these years, Tom Wright, now a retired Commander, recalls: “We planned missions locally to try to dominate the area and disrupt the enemy’s movements. We faced significant challenges every day, every night. We would respond to intelligence reports as appropriate. It took great imagination and determination to work effectively in the rivers, and we remained deployed until material damage and casualties reduced our effectiveness. We would then rotate back to An Thoi for repair and re-arming.”

For Tom Wright and most other Swift boat officers, there were two commandments: 1. Protect the crews. 2. Win. As for Tom Wright’s 44 Boat; “we won every engagement, start to finish. I got the crew home; a few nicks, but we made it.”

Working with call sign “Boston Strangler” became problematical. “I had a lot of trouble getting him to follow orders,” recalls Wright. “He had a different view of leadership and operations. Those of us with direct experience working with Kerry found him difficult and oriented towards his personal, rather than unit goals and objectives. I believed that overall responsibility rested squarely on the shoulders of the OIC or OTC in a free-fire zone. You had to be right (before opening fire). Kerry seemed to believe there were no rules in a free-fire zone and you were supposed to kill anyone. I didn’t see it that way.”

In Wright’s view, it was important that the enemy understood that Swift boats were a competent, effective force that could dominate his location. To do that, you also had to control the people and their actions; to have them accept Swift boat crews and their authority. You couldn’t achieve that by indiscriminate use of weapons in free fire zones.

It got to a point where Wright told his divisional commander he no longer wanted Kerry in his boat group, so he was re-assigned to another one. “I had an idea of his actions but didn’t have to be responsible for him.” Then Wright and like-minded boat officers took matters into their own hands. “When he got his third Purple Heart, three of us told him to leave. We knew how the system worked and we didn’t want him in Coastal Division 11. Kerry didn’t manipulate the system, we did.”

As for medals, Commander Wright holds strong views: “No one was recognized for completely overwhelming the enemy with skill, courage and bravery. No one wanted a Purple Heart because it meant we had made a mistake. We made sure our crews were recognized, but no one took pride in a Purple Heart. Everyone who served is equally important, regardless of rank or awards.

John B. Dwyer is a military historian, and Vietnam veteran, who served in the Fourth Infantry Division
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Working with call sign “Boston Strangler” became problematical. “I had a lot of trouble getting him to follow orders,” recalls Wright. “He had a different view of leadership and operations. Those of us with direct experience working with Kerry found him difficult and oriented towards his personal, rather than unit goals and objectives. I believed that overall responsibility rested squarely on the shoulders of the OIC or OTC in a free-fire zone. You had to be right (before opening fire). Kerry seemed to believe there were no rules in a free-fire zone and you were supposed to kill anyone. I didn’t see it that way.”

Hmmmmmmmm? Very interesting! Sounds like nobody wanted this worthless piece of XXXX! Very Happy

Woof!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Callsign: Boston Strangler Reply with quote

ASPB wrote:
Call sign: Boston strangler
May 13th, 2004

Thomas Wright was . . . . . .

John B. Dwyer is a military historian, and Vietnam veteran, who served in the Fourth Infantry Division

Thanks for posting this. I read it not long after getting back from my last trip, and had meant to call Barry about it. I guess jet lag caused me to forget, at least that's the excuse I'm using.

I'm curious to get some further background, as a few things don't ring true, or are at least open to question.

Doug
nakona
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need the source for that story, because I want to post it elsewhere.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakona wrote:
I need the source for that story, because I want to post it elsewhere.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=3539

Doug
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Since Kerry confirmed in his Senate sub-committee statement he believed "meaning of free fire zones, shooting anything that moves " I was wondering if we could get some comment from the Swift Boat Veterans as to what were their official ROE concerning "free fire zones"?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated in an earlier thread on this article, there is one paragraph that I had difficulty reconciling. However, after subsequently becoming aware of John Kerry's sequence of unit changes, the reference to 2 independent periods of service and allegations of improper Kerry activity within each period alleged by Lt. Wright becomes clear.

Quote:
It got to a point where Wright told his divisional commander he no longer wanted Kerry in his boat group, so he was re-assigned to another one. “I had an idea of his actions but didn’t have to be responsible for him.” Then Wright and like-minded boat officers took matters into their own hands. “When he got his third Purple Heart, three of us told him to leave. We knew how the system worked and we didn’t want him in Coastal Division 11. Kerry didn’t manipulate the system, we did.”

Unfortunately, the writer failed to clarify that, after Kerry's initial detachment from Coastal 11 to Coastal 13 after only 6 DAYS, allegedly at the behest of Lt. Wright, he was, subsequently, re-assigned BACK to Coastal 11 for the remainder of his tour, and it is these 2 independent periods of service that Lt. Wright's comments are addressing.

Nor is the author SPECIFIC about the exact rationale for Kerry's initial transfer from Coastal 11, though a fair reading of Lt. Wright's allegations strongly suggest any or all of the following:

• "...getting him to follow orders."

• ...a differing view of "leadership and operations"

• ...difficult to "work with"

• ..."oriented towards his personal, rather than unit goals and objectives"

• ...a belief that "there were no rules in a free-fire zone and you were supposed to kill anyone"

In reference to Kerry's departure from Vietnam, we are then presented with this stunning allegation...

Quote:
“When he got his third Purple Heart, three of us told him to leave. We knew how the system worked and we didn’t want him in Coastal Division 11. Kerry didn’t manipulate the system, we did.”

The implications of Lt. Wright's allegations are, IMO, staggering, but they lack corroboration. And what, exactly, is he referencing by asserting that "we" manipulated the system, NOT Kerry?

Hopefully, those comporting the "we" of these allegations will surface to both clarify and corroborate them, as well as some furthur elucidation by Lt. Wright.

Dear media...
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
As I stated in an earlier thread on this article, there is one paragraph that I had difficulty reconciling. However, after subsequently becoming aware of John Kerry's sequence of unit changes, the reference to 2 independent periods of service and allegations of improper Kerry activity within each period alleged by Lt. Wright becomes clear.

Quote:

Unfortunately, the writer failed to clarify that, after Kerry's initial detachment from Coastal 11 to Coastal 13 after only 6 DAYS, allegedly at the behest of Lt. Wright, he was, subsequently, re-assigned BACK to Coastal 11 for the remainder of his tour, and it is these 2 independent periods of service that Lt. Wright's comments are addressing.

Nor is the author SPECIFIC about the exact rationale for Kerry's initial transfer from Coastal 11, though a fair reading of Lt. Wright's allegations strongly suggest any or all of the following:

• "...getting him to follow orders."

• ...a differing view of "leadership and operations"

• ...difficult to "work with"

• ..."oriented towards his personal, rather than unit goals and objectives"

• ...a belief that "there were no rules in a free-fire zone and you were supposed to kill anyone"

In reference to Kerry's departure from Vietnam, we are then presented with this stunning allegation...

Quote:
“When he got his third Purple Heart, three of us told him to leave. We knew how the system worked and we didn’t want him in Coastal Division 11. Kerry didn’t manipulate the system, we did.”

The implications of Lt. Wright's allegations are, IMO, staggering, but they lack corroboration. And what, exactly, is he referencing by asserting that "we" manipulated the system, NOT Kerry?

Hopefully, those comporting the "we" of these allegations will surface to both clarify and corroborate them, as well as some furthur elucidation by Lt. Wright.

First of all, surely you guys have read this article before it was posted here, didn't you?

Anyway, you have touched on a few of the questions I had, plus a few more. Needless to say, I'm coming from a different perspective, and will have several additional questions.

I will forward your post, verbatim, to Barry (he goes by his middle name) along with my own mini-list of questions.

I'll let you know what he says.

By the way, I'm not so sure that "boat group" is referring to Coastal Group 11 or 13. Perhaps a Navy guy could address that.

Doug
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

I believe "boat group" as used in the article relates to what we called in Riverine "Task or Mission" groups. This title would normally be assigned to a subgroup of a river or coastal division established for a specific mission or action. It would have a OTC or POTC (officer or petty officer in tactical control) in charge of the operation. Given that Kerry was junior in rank and experience it's unlikely he would have often been assigned as OTC.

Some accounts of the "Silver Star" mission that you were on with him indicate that he was the OTC. This seems unlikely. Might be worth asking Barry about this too.

Tom

And another thing: I read it weeks ago but posted it here today because it seemed that some participants weren't aware of it.

edited to correct writer's name
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ASPB wrote:
Doug,

I believe "boat group" as used in the article relates to what we called in Riverine "Task or Mission" groups. This title would normally be assigned to a subgroup of a river or coastal division established for a specific mission or action. It would have a OTC or POTC (officer or petty officer in tactical control) in charge of the operation. Given that Kerry was junior in rank and experience it's unlikely he would have often been assigned as OTC.

Some accounts of the "Silver Star" mission that you were on with him indicate that he was the OTC. This seems unlikely. Might be worth asking Brad about this too.

I was thinking something along those lines -- a group of 3-4-5-6 boats that tend to go on missions together, correct?

By any chance would the fact that Kerry's boat was the lead boat on 28 Feb tell you he was the OTC, or is that irrelevant?

Didn't I read somewere that he (Kerry) gave the order for Rood's boat to beach on 28 Feb? And if that's correct, wouldn't that tell us he was the OTC?

Anyway, Barry has all kinds of paperwork from back then, and might know the answer.

Doug
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:
Anyway, Barry has all kinds of paperwork from back then, and might know the answer.

Would Barry's paperwork include anything related to the ROE for the Swift Boats, particularly free fire zones?
ASPB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:
Quote:
ASPB wrote:
Doug,

Some accounts of the "Silver Star" mission that you were on with him indicate that he was the OTC. This seems unlikely. Might be worth asking Brad about this too.

I was thinking something along those lines -- a group of 3-4-5-6 boats that tend to go on missions together, correct?

By any chance would the fact that Kerry's boat was the lead boat on 28 Feb tell you he was the OTC, or is that irrelevant?

Didn't I read somewere that he (Kerry) gave the order for Rood's boat to beach on 28 Feb? And if that's correct, wouldn't that tell us he was the OTC?

Doug

If you mean by "lead", first in file heading into the canal, no, not necessarily. In the 2 or 3 boat missions I ran as a POTC I'd normally take the 2nd or 3rd position in file as it provided better visual oversight of developing action.

I have read that he gave the order but I'm almost positive that Rood was senior to Kerry. Do we have any access to the list of OinC's on the 28 Feb mission?

Tom
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JN173 wrote:
DougReese wrote:

Would Barry's paperwork include anything related to the ROE for the Swift Boats, particularly free fire zones?

Dunno, I'll ask, but I doubt it. I don't think that's the focus of his research.

And your other question: "Do we have any access to the list of OinC's on the 28 Feb mission?" . . . . . I don't. I'll ask him about that too.

Doug
cgc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: ASPB and Commander Wright Reply with quote

First of all Thank You ASPB for the information and quote from CMDR Wright. I do not need to verify, write old friends, search the internet, or try an find a way to dispute what CMDR has said about John Kerry. For I would trust CMDR Wright's word. On the subject of free fire zones, If fire was received from a free fire zone it was immediatly returned, In many cases we "found" fishing boats, or small basket boats in free fire zones, it was not the custom to just open fire and start shooting people, It was the norm to try and get them rounded up and give them the once over. If they passed the so what test, usually they was shooed away and strongly discouraged from being in the area. In some cases the bottoms of a couple boats had a hole put in them to further discourage their return. In the case of a bad ID or Boat Log, they could be run in to a base for further questioning. In my year In Country, we only shot one time at some guy who we caught on the beach in a free fire zone who was running up the dune with a gun. Also we dropped a couple grenades on a swimmer who wouldn't willingly come aboard that we found swimming in a free fire zone. We did get him aboard and he had mega-dollars (P) in a money type belt. But I don't remember any cowboy behaviour by any of the crews when it came to free fire zones.
cgc 68/69
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe those other Swifties misunderstood Kerry, maybe Kerry's call sign was "Boston Straggler"

Did Jane Fonda help the North Vietnamese communists?
http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/polls/jfondapoll-1.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: