SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry and NBC should apologize for their Nixon comments
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitecleats
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Kerry and NBC should apologize for their Nixon comments Reply with quote

Hello, I am a young guy and I wanted to thank you vetrans for building this site and for serving our country in a just cause. Although I am not from your generation I am completely disgusted with John Kerry and his conduct in regards to Vietnam. I remember watching a segment on NBC where the commentator was 'condeming' Nixon for trying to discredit Kerry's tales as lies. Well, now that Kerry has admitted to 'overexagerating the war' for political purposes, I think more time should be spent by the media admitting to the fact that Nixon was honest and correct and that Kerry was the one doing the smearing. But, I doubt NBC or anyone else will correct their errors of judgement.
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I hope that is satire. Nixon honest and correct? That is some serious historical revisionism.
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unabashed comprehensive retraction

Last edited by hist/student on Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikest wrote:
God I hope that is satire. Nixon honest and correct? That is some serious historical revisionism.

Nixon was honest and correct about a lot of things. Most serious historians are aware of that. What he wasn't honest and correct about was the tactics used in his reelection campaign.
whitecleats
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey "hist-student": The only one personally attacking people is you and by the way, you spelled voting wrong. You may want to question your own biases and perceptions before you tell me not to vote. If you truly are an objective history student, then you will be able to put the facts together and see that Nixon was telling the truth and that Kerry was the one lying. After all, I do know a few things about historical research since I am a Professor of History and Political Science. I also have collected several hundred hours of Watergate tapes and other documents that relate to the Vietnam conflict. If you disagree with me, at least be open minded and be able to discuss your disagreement without personally insulting me. Anyway, I again thank you vetrans for puting this important site together!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White...he was addressing mikest...adjust your fire Confused
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get 'em, Whitecleats! Grrrrrrr, show that military can-do spirit as you rip a new one for your fellow conservative.

Nixon will be remembered as the guy who got Calley off the hook after only three years. Comrades in arms honor that kind of loyalty.
whitecleats
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to John Kerry, he and most Vietnam soldiers were committing war attrocities. So, if you condemn Calley then how can you support Kerry? Your entire statement is hypocritical just like the media's treatment of Nixon and Kerry. If Nixon does it, it is because he is "evil." If Kerry does it, it was just an overexaggeration. I think many of you need to take a look at the validity of your own arguments before you start making claims that the military honors My Lai. In fact, it was the military that intervened and stopped the massacre and was hardly reflective of the majority of the soldiers who served honorably.
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in that same sentence, Kerry described those "atrocities" as routine, commonplace and pervasive practices such as:

o Shootings in free fire zones.
o Harassment and interdiction fire.
o Using 50 calibre machine guns, which we were granted and ordered to use, which were our only weapon against people.
o Search and destroy missions
o Burning of villages.

They were under orders from the top to do those things. In time, Kerry concluded that he hadn't committed atrocities when he and nearly everyone in the war zones did those five things. Calley went much further, however.

I can understand that, as a conservative, you would like to smear Kerry by linking his actions in the above list with those of Calley. But it's clear that Kerry hadn't filled corpses in mass graves and ordered the slaughter of over 500 innocent civilians including small children who were first raped.

Do even you believe those five items are "war crimes" white cleats? If so then you're acknowledging that "war crimes" were pervasive, commonplace and ordered by Admiral Zumwalt at the top down to Kerry's commanders at the bottom and that almost everyone who served in a war zone in Vietnam was a "war criminal"
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unabashed comprehensive retraction

Last edited by hist/student on Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
NecAsperaTerra

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Green is the color of... Reply with quote

Sad After reading these weak, lame, and pathetic attempts to disparage an honorable man for none other than political purposes, I have come to believe my Vietnam veteran spouse was right when he said: "The ones who are saying these things and who are so "upset" and "offended" are the ones who took part in the village burnings, ear cuttings, and nose slicings. They know it, their comrades know it, and their commanding officers know it. They just can't get over the guilt. Just let them rant. Americans are smarter than to listen to them."

Ah, I do so enjoy a rant every now and again. Wink
whitecleats
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky,

First off, do not call me a Conservative. I am a Democrat and I voted for Clinton in 1996. Secondly, I am not justifying Kerry or Calley but I am simply asking you why you are so hypocritical and defensive? Jimmy Carter fought to get Calley pardoned and I certainly would not call him a conservative. If Calley deserved to serve life in prison or not is out of my hands and I am glad that I did not have to make that difficult decision of pardoning him. But, I guess you have a monopoly on knowledge and whatever you say is absolutely right and anyone who disagrees with you is a 'stupid conservative who is trying to smear the flawless and heroic John Kerry.'
sparky
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calley was pardoned by Nixon *before* Carter became president.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mylai/myl_bcalleyhtml.htm

http://www.vietnam-war.info/history/history4.php
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky,

Seems you need to work on your English comprehension skills. WhiteCleats didn't say Carter pardoned Calley, he said Carter fought to get Calley pardoned.
whitecleats
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky,

As Greenhat has pointed out to you, I never said Carter pardoned Calley. When Nixon pardoned Calley, Carter was Governor of Georgia and his constituents were supporting a pardon of Calley. Thus, Jimmy Carter began to fight to get Calley pardoned (and he also was anti-integration). Now why don't you go look that up on the internet and see if you can learn a thing or two about history. But, I guess I cannot expect anthing less of you diehard Kerry advocates. You are just like your 'flawless' leader: always preaching in a self-rightous and hypocritical manner, rewording the questions, and then smearing your opponent as a 'conservative.' Just because I am a Democrat does not mean that I follow my party like blind sheep. Where have the JFK's and Harry Truman's gone? Put Machiavelli, LBJ, and George McGovern together and the end result is John Kerry: the most dangerous man in America!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: