SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conservative vs Liberal, defined and explained
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Dog wrote:
"conscious disdain for those 'corrupt foreigners' who people try to claim have some esoteric desire to see America at it's knees". These people want to kill us and destroy America. They have made this clear in statement numerous times. In fact, one of the high ranking leaders of al Qaeda under Bin Laden publically said that they will consider their war won when they have killed at least 4,000,000 Americans.

Is Al-Qaeda represented at the U.N.? Who are 'these people'?? I'm talking about the other nations at the U.N. who disagree with our policy. None of them really want to see America 'at its knees' (well...maybe france). Most Arab countries have so much of their economy in U.S. Treasury Bills that their entire economies would be ruined by a U.S. economic collapse. Plus, when push comes to shove, Europeans know that we safeguard their security. Nobody ever claimed the U.S. was an 'enemy', they just disagreed with stupid and isolationist policy attitudes.
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment Deleted.

If you have comments on the management of the Forum please contact a moderator or the administrator by PM.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again, yes the Arabs want to see us on our knee's. Yes they have their money in the US treasury, but they want to control the US and us. Get it!! They want to control the world, through fear mostly that is the goal of terrorist's. Look at the UN voting record, most countries vote against us on a regular basis then say we are their friend's. But the only one's who count are the one's with veto power, Germany and France are freedom enemy #1 right now. Semper Fi.
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, third time's a charm.

I imagine I'll be getting some 'leftist' comments as I usually do in this kind of conversation.

I'm a supporter of democracy, free-market capitalism, and until President Bush got into the White House I thought I agreed with Republicans on foreign policy issues.

Clean up your language and name calling on this board. Continue to use slanderous names here, and you will have your posts edited or deleted. Edited by Moderator
sdpatriot
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: other nations Reply with quote

i'm curious.. who are all these "other nations" who dissagree with
American policy? ABC, NBC, and CBS?

or the Window Dressing Nations?

or the Oil for Food Funnel-it-into-my-account Nations?

just who are these mysterious nations?

oh, oh .... i know.... Mexico! right?

sdpatriot
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back up your claims with logic, please. How exactly are France and Germany 'Freedom's Number One Enemy' when they are democracies, exactly like the one we're trying to create in Iraq? Doesn't bode well for the future of Iraq, does it? Unless 'Freedom' is whatever the U.S. wants to decide it is.

And actually, the only reason why most of the Arab world's governments have the strained grip on power that they do right now is because U.S. money and defense assistance affords them that ability. Why would Saudi Arabia want 'America on its knees' when our attack helicopters are the only think keeping a Taliban-style government from taking Riyadh?

Why is it that if someone votes against you they aren't your 'friend'? Doesn't that run in the face of the VERY logic that underpins a democracy? The same logic that you would in the same breath claim Iraq should absorb at gunpoint?

There is ZERO internal consistency to neoconservative foreign policy right now. Al-Jazeera is the perfect example. The SAME people who cry endlessly about 'reform' in the Arab world decry the percieved anti-American slant on the network, when it is the ONLY free press in the ENTIRE region? I'm confused, why would you want to attack the only free institution in the middle east? Aren't we trying to promote democracy? Or is it only regional autonomy for nations that support U.S. policies?

Mod - Not trying to be confrontational, maybe I was just a little unsure about board rules, I'll be more on my toes in the future.
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oil-For-Food scandal is another one.

You mean 'gasp' people cooperated with Saddam Hussein to further their own goals? Kind of like the Reagan-era policy of tacit approval for genocide in order to safeguard U.S. wheat exports? That's not a moveon.org allegation, it's historical fact. If you do some research, you will see that this was official U.S. policy.

Obviously the Oil for Food scandal is a big deal, but it doesn't undermine the need for the institution any more than Watergate undermined the need for democratic governance or Enron undermined free-market capitalism.

Those 'other' nations are most of the nations in Western Europe from whom we've been allied with for fifty years, the nations in the Arab world that we claim to want to promote moderaton for on one hand and then on deride as unimportant and inconsequential on the other hand, and religious leaders like the Pope and the Dalai Lama who view American unilateralism as dangerous and immoral. Basically, it includes everyone except for Britan, El Salvador, Poland, and Vanuatu (which you couldn't even find on a map).
oldkayaker
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: What is a liberal and what is a conservative Reply with quote

This discussion has lost its way. The basic question was what is a liberal and what is a conservative.

I tried to focus on one area of comparison, a fiscal comparison. Fiscally speaking which of these groups today, is liberal in spending and which one is conservative in spending?

Responses above are wandering around.
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just read the 'conservative's support laws and liberals support rights' part and got sidetracked to international law and foreign policy. I know I'm just a guest on this board, and I don't mean to mess up your thread.
Jeremy Eaton
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: other nations Reply with quote

sdpatriot wrote:
i'm curious.. who are all these "other nations" who dissagree with
American policy? ABC, NBC, and CBS?

or the Window Dressing Nations?

or the Oil for Food Funnel-it-into-my-account Nations?

just who are these mysterious nations?

oh, oh .... i know.... Mexico! right?

sdpatriot

The lead up to the war in Iraq drew the greatest international protests in history. About a million people in London were on the streets protesting. I personally witnessed protests in Japan (an ally!) that were the "largest in Japanese history".
International public sentiment was against any action in Iraq.
Off the top of my head: Canada, Turkey, France, Germany, probably Portugal, the Netherlands, Sweden, Holland, Belgium, maybe Switzerland, China, most of south east Asia did I bet, India, most likely denounced the war. Canada didn't join the coalition, and they get the US propaganda on their TV's. Howard the PM in Australia supported it, against the public will.
The governments weren't very vocal about it, because everyone is afraid of the US military might. Now that the US acts unilaterally, and has a war on terror which can pre-emptively strike a potential enemy (on faulty data!). Well... people think twice before criticizing. Which nations had the balls to say anything. Well I know that Turkey actually represented the 90 percent sentiment against the war and denounced it. Normally, we'd stop recognizing a country like that as a democracy, but lo and behold it actually was acting like one in this case.
It might not seem like there is much disagreement with US policy from our perspectives, but check out some international news. I've read some really interesting stories in Hong Kong, about the bombing of the Chinese embassy by US forces. US military officials were on record there (according to the undoubtable state influenced paper) claiming it was intentional. I'm not sure I believe that, but it makes you go hmm...
I've seen enough to not be as knaive enough to think there isn't propaganda within the US. I've seen a lot of foreign press verify that.
Why do you think the Arabs are pissed off at the US? Foreign policy. Did negotiation with North Korea get better or worse after the 2000 election? Well if you ask the South Koreans, they will tell you that now they are much more concerned. The Japanese will say the same thing.
War Dog
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get this thread back on track and deal with the differences between Liberals and Conservatives. Further slams against the current administration will be deleted, and this thread will be locked. Fair warning has been given!

When cops need help, they call the K-9 unit."
oldkayaker
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: what is liberal, what is conservative Reply with quote

Good summary Rowelg. Especially interested in this part:
Quote:
Then Reagan comes along with "Peace thru strength" thinking and put in lots of new technologies, precision bombing, drones, etc. Hostages are freed. Berlin Wall comes down. USSR breaks up. No shot was fired. Then, CLinton comes along and actually reduced the overall size of the military. The budget increases were not only cut, but cut to the core. THen commenced ongoing terrorist attacks with weak military responses.

So...was Reagan a fiscal conservative and Clinton a liberal spender or the other way around?

Last edited by oldkayaker on Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ROWELG
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Screw the French cowards Reply with quote

SILLYRABBIT, I write one paragraph simple to ask "Please sight me some specific international law, or even a law of another naton, that should trump one specific American law? Be concrete, not abstract. Generalizations teach nothing. You must have one law in mind to back this statement."

You respond with 4 generalized paragaphs of words and accusations. I respond, in turn, with facts and explanation of my views and values. Know that I do not value French or German opinions. We owe them nothing. More Americans have died because of them, many many more than theirs who died for us.

Further, the only real foreign adversary in this Anti America attitude is France. They have been an adversary for centuries. France is one of the most liberal Nations in the world, next to Sweden.

Name me one thing France has done for our country, ever. Vietnam was French, part of French IndoChina. France allowed Japan to all the rubber and rice resources of Vietnam completely during WWII. Nobody tells you that. Many American's died in the Pacific because of that. Not to speak of Normandy.

France values said, "give up the rubber and rice, surrender vital resources, keep the power". Before wars end, Japan locked up the French in prisons and took control. Vietnamese hated the French because millions starved for lack of this rice during WWII. After the war, the western allies put France back in power (in the name of international law). Vietnamese revolted against the French since 1946, decades before the USA stepped in to help them. That was our biggest mistake. Kennedy sent in advisors to help the French in the late 1950's. LBJ expanded it because the French bailed out leaving us hold the bag. Teddy Kennedy calls this the Nixon war. It was more the JFK war, but really the FRENCH WAR. We backed the wrong side. We made the mistake of honoring a treaty (international law).

As to international law, at the end of Korean Police Action, in 1954, came the SEATO alliance organized under the Southeast Asia Collective Defense Treaty by representatives of Australia, France, Great Britain, New Zealand, Pakistan, the Philippines, Thailand, and the United States. SEATO relied on the military forces of member nations. SEATO’s principal role was to sanction the U.S. presence in Vietnam, and France withheld support. In 1964, Congress created the Tomkin Gulf Resolution because France bailed out leaving us holding the bag. France gave up to Hitler in WWII without firing a shot.

No Vietnam Veteran or Foreign War Veteran should respect France. For those who are open to understanding the 1858-1965 French Colonial history after Napoleon sent his military into Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos, read: From the RIvers to the Sea, The U.S. Navy in Vietnam by CDR R. L. Scheadley, USN.

So, to those of you veterans who advocate the French attitude toward America, and accept France as WORLD OPINION, wise up! I expect it from the college crowd. Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, Pakistan, the Philippines, Thailand, and the United States stood together 50 years ago, and still do in Iraq. France was never there, never will be! Know who the friends are and who will be there when the going gets tough. We now have the old soviet bloc countries on our side. Screw Old Europe!

Last edited by ROWELG on Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:43 pm; edited 6 times in total
sillyrabbit
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to advocate for France, but if you want to throw allegations of historical wrongdoing at them to support your position we can talk about some of the darker chapters of American history too. Like, in that same period of time the U.S. didn't want to 'waste bombs' on the train tracks that led to Auschwitz.

The 'America can do nothing but wrong' and 'America can do no wrong' crowds are both equally psychotic, from my point of view.

Deleted by Admin

Admin note:

Please do not post messages relating to the administration of this forum.

If you have a criticism/observation/comment, please direct them to the Administrator or a moderator utilizing Private Message or E-mail.

Thank you
ROWELG
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: bait and switch, again, and again Reply with quote

Sillyrabbit continues with generalizations, absent facts, absent references, "Like, in that same period of time the U.S. didn't want to 'waste bombs' on the train tracks that led to Auschwitz."

Helter Skelter, you shift the subject from international laws, and my historical entries on what they have gotten us into. Blame America. You are an advocate for France when you say we should submit to world law, the UN, when our only real adversary in the UN is France.

Please provide your reverence where you learned we didn't want to waste bombs on behalf of the Jews in Auschwitz. Can you put forth any historical or reference specifics to your accusations of American wrongdoing?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: