SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schumer Confesses to Not Understanding Constitution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Schumer Confesses to Not Understanding Constitution Reply with quote

By Henry Mark Holzer
FrontPageMagazine.com | July 27, 2005

"United States Senator “Chuck” Schumer’s broke his own stupidity record the other day following President Bush’s announcement of John Roberts nomination to the Supreme Court.

In a tag-team appearance with Senator Pat Leahy (D. Vt.), ranking minority member of the Judiciary Committee, Schumer confessed to the Nation that neither he, Leahy, nor the Democrat party for whom he spoke, understands a fundamental principle of American constitutionalism: separation of powers. Indeed, ever since Schumer confessed, his echo has been heard as Democrat functionaries (e.g., Kennedy, Biden, Durbin, Pelosi) have made the same confession that they, too, do not understand one of the three basic pillars upon which our Republic stands.

All of them, and for that matter most of the media, have been demanding that judicial nominee Roberts “answer questions.” That Roberts explain his position on abortion, that he reveal where he stands on affirmative action, that he disclose how he would rule on capital punishment, that he divulge his stand on eminent domain—that, in effect, he make known the platform on which he is running for a seat on the Supreme Court of the United States.

From the perspective of the Democrats, this is entirely understandable, even defensible—because they do not understand Separation of Powers, and thus the Constitution’s mandated role for a judge in the American system of government, believing instead that the judiciary is simply another political branch. The Democrats see judges—Warren, Brennan, Douglas, Blackmun, Stevens, Ginsburg—as legislators, promulgating from the bench their own social, economic, and even moral, programs, not interpreting the Constitution and laws passed by the politically accountable actual legislature, i.e., Congress."

more at link below:
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=18914

found article at:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1451620/posts
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this most macabre of senses.... this is funny.

Can I get my tax money refunded for every penny they have collected, collectively in their careers as members of the congress and senate?

For once I don't doubt the veracity of their statements.

I heard one of these nice fellows, two days back explain they needed the answers to Roberts position on abortion because if he was confirmed 'he would be making laws'????

A..... no he wouldn't. That's not his job.

Congress makes laws.
The Executive enforces laws.
The Judicial defines gray areas and contradictions of laws.

Is it no wonder these nice citizens try to win elections thru the courts?
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shouldn't they be required to take a test before running for office Confused
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past week (I think) I either heard a news story or read somewhere that there was a class being given for federal government employees who didn't have a clue about the U.S. Constitution. I also think this class included listening to patriotic music. I'm not sure if I heard it right or maybe I was in a fog that day.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large number of Gummint employees now are there to meet diversity goals and numbers and not to meet any actual job function. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked They are products of some of the worst public schools and need remedial education. Schmucky Schumer needs the same. Mad Mad Mad Actual Civics lessons in his youth somehow passed him by. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

When one encounters a Gummint employee who is not a hack or knows something about their job, one tends to be astounded and grateful. They do exist, but are getting increasingly hard to find. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Schumer Confesses to Not Understanding Constitution Reply with quote

Tanya,

Your favorite senators are wearing their stupidity records on their arms again.....Durbin, Kennedy especially so....today during the filibuster/debate on the 'torture amendment' to the Defense appropriations bill for the War on Terror...he's quoting Fischbach now on what constitues lawful interrogation of detainees, ie including 'death threats' etc. Looks like they're trying to get the Geneva Conventions to apply to the non uniformed terrorists. If they succeed, my recommendation is that our marines start wearing burkas so they can get 'closer shots' at our friends the terrorists....we know treatment that the islamofascists give our guys. Durbin is clearly attempting to immasculate the military again (and again, and again...etc). While some of our senators are simply admitting that the Congress has been AWOL (I agree) on some issues, our left leaning loonies in the Senate are using this agenda again to beat on our military...and ofcourse the irony is it's a McCain amendment (Talk about an agenda!)...so prolly Kerry is AWOL!

Deuce

All this crap is currently on CSpan2...gotta turn it off now 'fore I puke

Tanya wrote:
By Henry Mark Holzer
FrontPageMagazine.com | July 27, 2005

"United States Senator “Chuck” Schumer’s broke his own stupidity record the other day following President Bush’s announcement of John Roberts nomination to the Supreme Court.

In a tag-team appearance with Senator Pat Leahy (D. Vt.), ranking minority member of the Judiciary Committee, Schumer confessed to the Nation that neither he, Leahy, nor the Democrat party for whom he spoke, understands a fundamental principle of American constitutionalism: separation of powers. Indeed, ever since Schumer confessed, his echo has been heard as Democrat functionaries (e.g., Kennedy, Biden, Durbin, Pelosi) have made the same confession that they, too, do not understand one of the three basic pillars upon which our Republic stands. ......
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:

They do. It's called "how stupid are these voters?"
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Schumer Confesses to Not Understanding Constitution Reply with quote

Tanya wrote:

From the perspective of the Democrats, this is entirely understandable, even defensible—because they do not understand Separation of Powers, and thus the Constitution’s mandated role for a judge in the American system of government, believing instead that the judiciary is simply another political branch. The Democrats see judges—Warren, Brennan, Douglas, Blackmun, Stevens, Ginsburg—as legislators, promulgating from the bench their own social, economic, and even moral, programs, not interpreting the Constitution and laws passed by the politically accountable actual legislature, i.e., Congress."

Sarcasm notwithstanding, they understand the original concept quite well. However, when you can't win ELECTIONS based on your politics, it mandates a Constitutional revisionist view that supports judicial activism.

This is a scary bunch and an even more frightening threat to our system of government. It is remarkable to me that even a body so plagued by Partisanship (that's with a capital "P") as the Congress would so placidly yield the Constitutional authority that was it's birthright to so ignoble an endeavor.

jwb7605 wrote:
Rdtf wrote:

A fine retort, but it, IMHO, misses the underlying (and frightening) point. Judicial activism effectively neuters the political expression of "the will of the people" reflected in their selection of "legislators".
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for the supertority of East Coast intelligensia. Razz
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Schumer Confesses to Not Understanding Constitution Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:

<SNIP>
jwb7605 wrote:
Rdtf wrote:

A fine retort, but it, IMHO, misses the underlying (and frightening) point. Judicial activism effectively neuters the political expression of "the will of the people" reflected in their selection of "legislators".

Sorry to say that's only a semi-joking retort. The majority (I think) of politicians run on platforms at least implying, if not advocating outright, Judicial Activism. How they phrase things in their campaign speeches is quite often a function of how stupid they think the constituents are.

People ... especially those with a minority viewpoint ... frequently vote unknowingly in favor of Judicial Activism because, from their perspective, "that's what most people think and what's the way it ought to be". And, in fact, that's what most people in their small circle of friends do, indeed, think. For those people, Judicial Activism is not Judicial Activism.

I'm frequently surprised by the number of people who take an issue on grounds the issue "is a Constitutional right". Then, when an activist Judge rules in favor of their (mistaken) viewpoint, the nonexistent "Constitutional right" becomes de facto: "separation of Church and State" and "Abortion Rights" are two that come immediately to mind.
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Judge Judy on Larry King (the remote button stuck) and I actually agreed with Judge Judy. All persons who desire to be judges should go to school for that - BEFORE THEY ARE APPOINTED - not the little course on procedure they currently are required to attend after the appointment. If you can't pass the course you don't get to be a judge. And the course relates to the type of law you will be judging - criminal, family,etc. and for each new court you must take the courses for that one as well.

Unfortunately we can't get something like this for our elected representatives either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: