SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Evil Middle Class Tears Down Our Woodlands in Order to..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: The Evil Middle Class Tears Down Our Woodlands in Order to.. Reply with quote

The Evil Middle Class Tears Down Our Woodlands in Order to Read the New York Times

We are such a wasteful disgusting nation of pigs. We chop down entire forests just to produce a news paper which people throw away at the end of the day. Estimates are that reducing newspaper waste by half we could reduce adverse environmental impacts by 25 percent through reduced landfill use, soil depletion and applications of fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides.

The American public has lost their cultural connections to the agrarian landscape that once dominated the nation.

Until we regain this connection we are nothing more than disgusting filthy pigs.

Of course this is absolutely silly for a number of reasons the main point being lumber companies manage their land to such a great degree that we have an abundant source of wood. So abundant is our supply of wood every year that we can afford as a Nation the luxury of reading a news paper every day then throwing it away. Yet, reading the article ‘Why the middle classes go scavenging in dustbins’ by James Bone writing for the London Times Online we are reminded just how wasteful of a people we are. This is nothing more then anti-capitalist propaganda and he has a willing accomplice in University PhD Timothy Jones who has never seen a head of lettuce which didn’t in some way become tainted by the capitalist system on its way to your plate or the trash bin.
Quote:
Timothy Jones, who conducted a ten-year study for the University of Arizona, estimates that the amount that does not get eaten is as much as 50 per cent.

Hate to break it to you Timothy, but produce is a perishable and what you call waste is actually determined as much by the consumer as is the so called inefficiency of the system to deliver it. Have you ever seen those terrible Americans at the produce section in a grocery store? They actually pick through the tomatoes and discard 70 percent of them for that perfect in their view vegetable. It is called freedom of choice and when given to a consumer the exercise of this choice actually results in waste. This is good waste though because through the beauty of our capitalist market it actually raises our standard of living. During the early 90’s grocery store Food Lion was making a push into Texas and got caught changing labels on milk in order to save some money and the consumer rejected this waste saving method which resulted in Food Lion being forced out of the Texas market. Timothy would you agree the consumer rejected the waste saving and was willing to pay for fresh milk as opposed to stale milk? The point is waste will always be in the perishable market and it will always be a large amount. The reason is consumers pay for produce to always be stocked and they want it fresh. You write about the ineffiency of the market and on this basis there probably is room to improve, yet when you write
Quote:
Perhaps most important of all, says Jones, is that Americans generally, not just retailers, have lost their cultural connections to the agrarian landscape that once dominated the nation. Only a few people are still tied to the land through agriculture.
it leads to me to believe you have an ulterior motive which is to attack the capitilist system itself. Exactly how far do you recommend us, the American people move towards your ideal agrarian state? Should we implement Pol Pots May 1975 8 point directive? 1

1. Evacuate people from all towns.
2. Abolish all markets.
3. Abolish Lon Nol regime currency and withhold the revolutionary currency that had been printed.
4. Defrock all Buddhist monks and put them to work growing rice.
5. Execute all leaders of the Lon Nol regime beginning with the top leaders.
6. Establish high-level cooperatives throughout the country, with communal eating.
7. Expel the entire Vietnamese minority population.
8. Dispatch troops to the borders, particularly the Vietnamese border.

Are you in favor of directives 2,3 and 6, because
Quote:
The anti-capitalist freegans — the name combines “free” and “vegan” — are so appalled by the waste of the consumer society that they try to live on the leftovers, scavenging for food in supermarket dustbins.

I am going to go out on a limb and say these God fearing, patriotic and support our troops but not the war freegans would also support directives 1,4,5…hell they would embrace the entire directive only we must all do a better job of implementing it this time around. The sad truth is these freegans are clueless lost souls bordering on the psychotic. They have lost their ability to reason and therefore are slaves to their warped ideology. If only they could reason and were to look at history they might actually see that their hatred of capitalism and God produces man made totalitarianism. In their quest to create the utopian fantasy draconian measures have to be applied, because lets face it not everyone is going to want their dinner served from a dumpster. We can safely argue these draconian measures would result in something similar to article 58 section 1 of the Soviet Criminal Code written in 1927. In Section 1 we learn that any action (and, according to Article 6 of the Criminal Code, and absence of action) directed toward the weakening of state power was considered to be counterrevolutionary. 2 In the case of the Soviets, they actually under article 58 section 1 charged and arrested people who went dumpster diving because those people gave the impression the Soviet State was starving its people, thus the image weakened the state. It didn’t matter that people were actually starving to death, what mattered was preserving the perception of a strong Soviet state.

While the freegans should be viewed as the loonies they are James Bone who wrote this article celebrating them should be viewed as the envious person he appears to be. He is envious of America’s great wealth and its breadbasket. His accomplice in the article Timothy W. Jones, PhD, has been funded with tax dollars from the department of agriculture and produced a report which often is the case from University Professors long on seeing problems and very short on giving solutions. What Mr. Jones sees as waste is nothing more then the system working and providing people what they want when they want it, and in the case of perishables there will always be a lot of waste. That is unless we go the Soviet route and keep the shelves empty. What a waste of paper and tax dollars spent.

1 Ben Kiernan ‘The Pol Pot Regime’ 2002 p. 55
2 Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn ‘The Gulag Archipelago’ 1973 Volume I pp. 60-61

Last edited by GenrXr on Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:44 am; edited 2 times in total
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trees reproduce (imagine that Surprised Surprised ) and as a result we Americans farm and manage trees and forest. (Unlike some third world countries.) Here in Pennsyvania we have more woodlands that we have had in 150 years, the best Hardwood timber in the world and more forested acerage than any other state. The idea that a managed resource that reproduces itself is somehow being wasted and annihilated is drivel. The last time I was up in the Allegheny Highlands, I was surrounded by big trees and there were logging operations going on as well.

I might also mention this is a state with a large rural and agricultural sector as well.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to think I used to believe that if you had a PhD after your name, that automatically meant you were smart.
Such a shock to find out I was wrong. Very Happy Very Happy

Where do they get these guys and why do we let them talk?

Dusty
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
And to think I used to believe that if you had a PhD after your name, that automatically meant you were smart.

Dusty

The article was emailed to the professor asking for a reply. Hope he engages me in a debate.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your debate.

You mentioned the Soviet law on dumpster diving but if I remember aright when the USSR collapsed they were experiencing bumper crops that were left to rot in the field as there was no incentive to truck them to metroplitan 'stores' that rationed them.

The noble savages of North America, those paragons of communing with nature were well on the road to decimating the buffalo before the white man made a policy of it. They'ld kill thousands at 'falls' to harvest a few dozen humps and robes leaving the rest to rot.

In the grocery business the better the meat or produce selection the higher the wastage. 40% meat and 60% produce wastage is typical. Indifferent grocers leave it on the shelf which they can only do if their clientel has no option.

-Wlm Shakespeare
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last Wed. paper took at least half of a medium sized tree, Sundays paper was about the same! Wink
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last month, I took a trip to Vancouver, Washington. My Bro-in-law
took us up to look at Mt. St. Helens. That thing erupted 25 years ago.
The land there is owned by either the U. S. Goverment or the
Weyerhauser Corporation. The U. S. Goverment decided to let nature
take it's course and has done nothing on it's land but put Goverment
"Forest" Rangers there to keep people from roaming around off the
authorized trail. There are signs around everywhere. "It grows by the
inch, and is destroyed by the foot" with the outline of a footprint. Of
course they can take 100 years and "study" the "recovery".

That evil Weyerhauser Corporation on the other hand, logged out the
downed trees on their land and replanted it with douglas fir. They have
a 25 year old forest that is thriving.

Go figure.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to tie this in with that other thread about bio-fuels. There is a dairy farm in, I believe, Minnesota where they use shreaded paper as a supplement to straw bedding.

The kicker is that this bedding, droppings and urine combine and become the food for their power plant, generating enough power via generators and fuel cell technology to power the entire farm (700+ head) and sell some back to the power company.

Yep, we do waste the material BUT only because we have yet to develop the determination to put it to another use - that will come in time. No, we don't need to "reconnect", that's backwards thinking. We simply need to apply what we know to better utilize the excess.

Paper production is far more efficient that we give it credit. Utilizing scrub lumber and fast growing trees it takes considerably less wood than is usually imagined. Oh yea, and Mr. Jones, by making paper, the carbon is still locked up so greenhouse gases remain contained.

As for discarded food - we are a healthier people because we do discard food that is unappealing, spoiled, or marred - common sense.

But, if you insist Mr. Jones, I happen to have some fresh, crisp, rubarb lettuce that I'm sure you would in enjoy in a salad.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that always amazed me about tree huggers whining about dwindling trees and all, is how many have no trouble cutting one down to use for a couple weeks at Christmas tiime? (sorry, Winter Holiday Wink )

I have yet to hear any group complain about (sorry again) Christmas Trees being cut down and left to die.
homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just you wait Lew. It's coming.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:

Dusty

PhD = post hole digger
(sorry to my kid if he's reading this, he's got real one)
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhD = Piled higher and Deeper.
Army_(Ret)
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoophyDog wrote:
We need to tie this in with that other thread about bio-fuels. There is a dairy farm in, I believe, Minnesota where they use shreaded paper as a supplement to straw bedding.

The kicker is that this bedding, droppings and urine combine and become the food for their power plant, generating enough power via generators and fuel cell technology to power the entire farm (700+ head) and sell some back to the power company.

Yep, we do waste the material BUT only because we have yet to develop the determination to put it to another use - that will come in time. No, we don't need to "reconnect", that's backwards thinking. We simply need to apply what we know to better utilize the excess.

Paper production is far more efficient that we give it credit. Utilizing scrub lumber and fast growing trees it takes considerably less wood than is usually imagined. Oh yea, and Mr. Jones, by making paper, the carbon is still locked up so greenhouse gases remain contained.

As for discarded food - we are a healthier people because we do discard food that is unappealing, spoiled, or marred - common sense.

But, if you insist Mr. Jones, I happen to have some fresh, crisp, rubarb lettuce that I'm sure you would in enjoy in a salad.

My local grocery's produce dept. has a contract with a local dairy farmer who picks up the waste every other day in plastic barrels. Averaging one thousand to one thousand-five hundred pounds. Also included is bakery bread which was left over the day before and isn't "fresh baked".
From what I understand, almost everything from produce goes in there thats graded out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: