SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newt Gingrich: "One Nation Under God..."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Newt Gingrich: "One Nation Under God..." Reply with quote

I just happened to catch a promo for this on FoxNews and I thought I'd give everyone a heads-up. I think I can safely guarantee you an enlightening and thought-provoking hour of education, Newt-style.

Quote:
December 16 2006
One Nation Under God: Religion and History in Washington DC
Fox News Network

A Fox News Special
9:00 PM ET - 10:00 PM ET

http://www.newt.org/appearances/event.asp?evi=233
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1,

Good catch, that...I saw it as well, and plan to watch....He, of course, will be too 'nice' to the ACLU and other God-Bashers for my taste, but hey...it's a start.

Go Newt
Deuce
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was an hour well spent and a nice introduction to what will hopefully be a series of Gingrich lectures. While it certainly wasn't on a par with his wonderful "special orders" lectures during his congressional minority days and was somewhat "pablumized" for easy digestion, you're right Deuce...it's a good start.

One thing I did learn. I was unaware that the FDR memorial had been so methodically sanitized of religious convictions which were so much a part of FDR's life and rhetoric.

I want MORE...and more often Wink
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only caught the last 15 minutes, but it was defintely an eye opener. I'll be watching for it to be rerun later this evening (one of the advantages of being on the 'left coast') Wink
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox is also running it on Sunday, 17 Dec, at 4:00 PM ET.

Schadow
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well presented - aught to be required viewing in civics classes

prompted me to go looking for FDR's Fireside Chats
Quote:
May 26, 1940

< >

Day and night I pray for the restoration of peace in this mad world of ours. It is not necessary that I, the President ask the American people to pray in behalf of such a cause -- for I know you are praying with me.

I am certain that out of the hearts of every man, woman and child in this land, in every waking minute, a supplication goes up to Almighty God; that all of us beg that suffering and starving, that death and destruction may end -- and that peace may return to the world. In common affection for all mankind, your prayers join with mine -- that God will heal the wounds and the hearts of humanity.

Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ton of "Old Time Radio" broadcasts and I love them for their innocence and for what you can learn about our country from them.

That snippet you quoted is so typical of the wartime programs. Even the sitcoms signed off with mention of prayer for "our men and women fighting on foreign shores."

How did we get from having the President invoke Almighty God and mention prayer in just a few sentences... to having a President vilified for the fact that he prays at all?

Incredible, isn't it?
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newt's mention of Jefferson's 1802 letter to the Danbury Baptists in which he used the phrase "wall of separation between church and state" caused me to look up the letter and ponder what Jefferson meant. Newt didn't offer enough analysis, IMO.

Of course, the phrase has become the rallying cry of the ACLU and other organizations trying to remove any expression of religion (particularly Christian religion) from the public square.

It becomes quite clear to anyone reading the letter that Jefferson was merely restating the message of the First Amendment which is that the US Government must not engage in law-making pertaining to religion. It left alone the states rights in the subject.

The ACLU and Americans For Separation of Church and State, or whatever they're called, are just wrong in proclaiming that Jefferson was giving some new interpretation of the Amendment. He clearly wasn't.

Here's the pertinent paragraph of the letter followed by a link to the whole letter:

Quote:
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state.

Letter to Danbury Baptists

Schadow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: