SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BOR Wednesday night
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: BOR Wednesday night Reply with quote

Wednesday night will bring Laura Ingraham to guest on BOR's show. Considering what she wrote in her "Weekly E-Blast", ther may well be some fireworks bwtween her and BOR. Laura doesn't think BOR is playing the way he should, and mentions his sliming the Swiftees. Below is a copy of her weekly letter.

]Quote]Who's Looking Out For You?

There are a lot of amazing elements to the CBS/National Guard document story: CBS's initial "how-dare-these-internet-bloggers-question-us!" hubris, Dan Rather's refusal to see the writing on the wall, and Kerry's supporters' sheer stupidity in fueling this story in the first place. But when "no spin"-meister Bill O'Reilly chose to weigh in, it wasn't what you might have expected--namely, Bill didn't blast the elites at Viacom who are allowing the story to fester due their failure to take responsibility for the fishy documents. Instead, O'Reilly took the occasion to blast "right wing conservative talk show hosts" for pushing the story of the memos. "Because of the internet, everything has changed," he lamented, "It's just nuts."

But to millions of Americans, who listen to talk radio, scan the internet, and watch cable news, even more "nuts" were the days when the television news world was dominated by the likes of CBS, NBC and ABC. In those "good old days" Walter, Dan, Peter and Tom were the gatekeepers. And if we little people had problems with the bias, or with the stories that were never covered, well, it was just too bad. In those days, we little people didn't have folks like Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Matt Drudge, Rush Limbaugh, and enterprising bloggers holding the elites' feet to the fire when they needed it.

"Believe me, I know Dan Rather. In just a self-interest arena, someone like Rather or O'Reilly or Brokaw," O'Reilly insisted, "We're not going to do anything fraudulent, because our careers would just go-POOF!" Of course by that logic, none of the top execs at Enron or Tyco could possibly be guilty of any wrongdoing either because their careers would just go POOF! Ditto for any politician accused of wrongdoing.

Who knows why O'Reilly, once an elite-buster extraordinaire, seems to be in the middle of an extreme image makeover. Maybe it's more fun to shoot the breeze with P. Diddy than it is to shine the light on CBS. Maybe you get cooler cocktail party invites when you dismiss the Swift Boat Vets as bitter partisans. Maybe the seductive pull of the New York elite media was just too much for him. Whatever the reason, one thing is for sure-Fox News, talk radio, and internet news sites have broken through by challenging the elites, not by becoming like the elites.

Newsweek, The Washington Post, and the Dallas Morning News are all covering the CBS/National Guard documents story largely because of the work of ambitious bloggers who did the initial leg work. Yes, talk radio listeners want to hear the latest on this. Why is that disturbing to some? Who is to say that this story is any less legitimate than 24/7 hurricane coverage? Broadcast networks demand accountability-as they rightly should-from the Bush Administration in its handling of Iraq, the economy, and even the President's National Guard Service. So why do they resist the public holding them accountable in their reporting?

The network dinosaurs won't admit it, but they prefer those "good old days" when they were the only game in town. It was much easier when they reported and you listened. You can't blame them for being bitter, really. They know their days are numbered. We don't need them anymore. And this infuriates them. Tom Brokaw, in a speech to the National Press Club, targeted "right wing radio" as "jingoistic." Peter Jennings has made no secret of his own disdain for this brave new media culture. All those people out there, listening to talk radio, and wearing flag lapel pins! What is this country coming to?

O'Reilly has chosen an odd moment in history to embrace the old media. We were tired of their arrogance twenty years ago and it's no more charming today. And we don't plan on ceding their monopoly back to them. Conservatives in 1964, 1974 and 1984 were just as frustrated with liberalism as they are today, but the difference is, back then they had no media outlets where their views were heard. Now they are.

Power to the People.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Believe me, I know Dan Rather. In just a self-interest arena, someone like Rather or O'Reilly or Brokaw," O'Reilly insisted, "We're not going to do anything fraudulent, because our careers would just go-POOF!"

I agree with the way Bill thinks, yes, he is one of them. Thanks for the info, I wouldn't know since I don't watch the spinmeister anymore.

Last edited by msindependent on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, she sure pecked bor.... I just sent him another email....

and Imus also....
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
leeinwv
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love to watch Bill , but not anymore. I watch Sean hannity
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"We're not going to do anything fraudulent, because our careers would just go-POOF!"

That should be rewritten: "We're not going to do anything fraudulent if we think we could get caught, because our careers would just go-POOF!"

Rather, whether he did this out of stupidity, partisanship, senility, laziness, or all of the above, should be publicly reprimanded, and his career should go "POOF!"

The very fact that he would approve and authorize a full segment on 60 Minutes II, with "evidence" a child could see through (literally!), and in the same breath, condemn the 250+ SBVT without even bothering to examine their evidence and allegations, shows that he is more a Kerry/DNC shill than a reporter.

Whenever I see his face on the TV (as I dive for the remote), I feel that he is saying "screw you" to the American people.
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His ego has gotten to him since he's been no. 1 for a while.

The guys used to due Inside edition at one time, does that explain it?

His whole career he has wanted to be an elite with all the respect one gets from that.

In Ann Coulter's book she shows how Bill lis a liberal even if he does seem to have common sense at times.

He's not going to change his stripes.
vietnamvet173
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SangRun Hunter wrote:

His whole career he has wanted to be an elite with all the respect one gets from that.

Bill is a phony. Laura is right he is in the middle of an “image makeover”. No matter what he does I don’t believe he can regain credibility because many of us now see what he has been doing as an act. It is too bad for Fox News to have one of their top stars go off the deep end. The dupes that have been watching his show, myself included, are his stepping stones to becoming a member of the elite.
RivanG
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see one of BOR's minions attempt to get Jane Fonda to come on the factor?

She was wearing a "Value your V (a restricted word in this forum)... Vote" t-shirt. So I guess this is one of Hanoi Jane's latest projects... www.vday.com
SangRun Hunter
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vietnamvet173 wrote:
SangRun Hunter wrote:

Bill is a phony. Laura is right he is in the middle of an “image makeover”. No matter what he does I don’t believe he can regain credibility because many of us now see what he has been doing as an act. It is too bad for Fox News to have one of their top stars go off the deep end. The dupes that have been watching his show, myself included, are his stepping stones to becoming a member of the elite.

It could be that BOR is the manchurian canidate at FOX who suddenly awakens when he is needed most by his people.

In this case it's the liberal elite northeast media. He probably got a call at 2 AM from some shadowy figure telling him his mission was to save Dan Rather the modern father of elite journalism.

But then again, that's just me being terribly sarcastic.

Last edited by SangRun Hunter on Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
one more captins mast
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: So there will be a "news item" that is Reply with quote

Billy o/real/ly flew out of his "mirror" and thinking that he could

fly in the current conditions, took off with only "VFR" certs.

When he flew into the "cloud of truth" of Unfit for Command"

not knowing what to do, he pulled up hard on the "controls"

causeing him to "stall" weeks ago, and now he has only the

Bill "spins in" zone left.

other than that have a nice day bill
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does appear that Bill O'Reilly is going through some sort of metamorphasis. Last night he was spinning. For example, after admonishing CBS over the forgery papers, and saying that they lacked any real evidence about Bush's Guard service. BOR alluded many times to bush having recieved privileged treatmant in the Guard. Yet he didn't offer even one piece of evidence to back that assertion.

Some people can't handle success at the level that BOR has attained. It sure looks to me like BOR has a very inflated opinion of his own worth. Making unsubstantiated remarks is what he used to go after others for. Now he is sliming Bush, and he continues to say that the Swiftees are not 100%, but doesn't offer any examples of the either. He is acting just like the Kerry backers, spin, spin, spin.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: No? Spin Zone Reply with quote

Bill O'Reilly must be under the weather.

He's starting to spin to the left, just like all the hurricanes!

But if he could get Laura Ingraham and Jane Fonda in the same segment, THAT would be a stormy debate!

I wonder what questions Sean Hannity would ask Jane Fonda...
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a lot of what is being said about Bill. I have always
enjoyed Sean's program much more than BOR. I really began to
notice a "decline" after his interview with Michael Moore during the
DNC. I thought it was awful, but he "spun" it as if he had come
out on top. It was, at best, a draw, but he let Michael Moore get
away with some outrageous statements.

In this case, however, Bill may be sincere in saying that, in his
opinion, no newsperson would knowingly do what Rather did
because it would irreparably damage his career. I think Bill is
ALL about his career. He pretends to be even-handed because
it is good for the image he is projecting. Rather does not even
pretend to be impartial and he was arrogant enough to think that
he could get away with what he did. Thanks to FOX news, Rush,
and Laura, Rather is not going to be able to escape this time!
sround
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bill O'Reilly must be under the weather.

He's starting to spin to the left, just like all the hurricanes

Bingo! And the 'eye' of that storm is the CBS logo.

This just in: CBS Monster expert "Big Foot" authenticates Nessie.

Seriously...will MP3 BOR v. Laura segment tonight --should be
great!

Laughing

Mission Accomplished!!
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe BOR can't accept the concept that Rather has finally outted himself as a journalistic "suicide bomber" for the DNC. Until Rather shows up on the set wearing a bomb belt, BOR will continue to defend him. BOR's blatant affront to the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth and his laughable "We fully vetted the issue, and I'm going with the PRIMARY SOURCES, the guys who were THERE" mantra cost him his credibility with a large segment of his former audience -- including me. His current defense of Rather and CBS with "blah, blah, blah, credibility, blah, career would go POOF, blah, blah, blah" just confirms his obstinant bias. He has overestimated his appeal to the viewers and underestimated the power of alternative media.

...maybe he and Rather can help each other work on their resumes.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: