SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Vets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianC
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry won't abandon Afghanistan like Bush has done.

A falsehood. Afghanistan hasn't been abandoned. They have their own government in place, and while things are exactly like living in the USA, they have come a long, long way since the Taliban was removed.

As for being "20" when Kerry served, that too is a tad misleading. He'd already finished college (let's assume he's 22, maybe 23), and then he spent nearly a year more travelling (France was one of the places he went to during those days).

You seem to imply that any 20 year old would gladly take up a chance to fly jets - regardless of the danger involved. That's about as oversimplified as it can get.... first, a young man has to QUALIFY to fly jets -- I know -- I tried twice, and was refused entry to AOCS. Further, I know plenty of surface sailors - guys that said I was crazy for going into submarine duty "because of the danger". Well, those guys are living proof that not every 20-something man in the military wants to risk their life for a particular kind of duty.

Now, that said - the original question, as I read it, was more related to why Veterans are angry with Kerry. I think that it's been answered numerous times already. Kerry likes to constantly and consistently remind us that he's a "war hero" from Viet Nam... he constantly has reminded us that he CHOSE to serve there. Now, it's been 34 years since then, and so naturally, anyone that wants to be inclusive about the man's life back then (since he's constantly harking back to those days) will also want to examine what he's done SINCE then. And when his Congressional testimony and his damning comments about his fellow Veterans gets brought up, suddenly Kerry starts whining about how we're "questioning his patriotism", and claiming it isn't fair, and here YOU are, saying, "it was a long time ago". Well, 1969 was a long time ago, too, but 1971 was even more recent, if only by a couple of years.

You can't have your cake & eat it, too - no matter how much you'd like to. If you want to go back 34 years and proclaim "Gee, what a great guy he was", then you have to also take into consideration that he did some things and said some things that were very damaging to our war effort then.

Ever heard what General Giap said about Kerry's protesting of the war? He credits Kerry with giving them the motivation to continue the war. Giap has said that the NVA were all but ready to give it up - until folks like Kerry - and including Kerry - were making a big fuss over here.
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hardly believe two guys want to pick nits over 20 versus 20-somethong. Could the difference possibly have any relevance.

Okay, Brian, you wanted to fly jets and you think Bush was a very brave guy because he flew them. Fine, think what you want. I'm with the Medal of Honor recipient, but nothing is 100% true so I'm sure there are a certain number of fellas who would have been scared to strap on a jet at that age,

I'm not 20 anymore and I would fly in the Space Shuttle in a heartbeat if I had the chance. If a lot of conservatives are afraid to fly fighters and think it's really brave to do so, okay with me. Funny though.

Actually, I know something about jet fighters and including about what your odds are of dying in one. I also know something else. Patrolling the skies of Texas so Giap couldn't invade Galvaston with his navy was apparently a really brave thing to do. Except that is, for flying jets or doing anything else where real hair was required - southeast asia. You just have to live with the fact that your guy had so much guts he said he didn't want to get outta those dangerous Texas skies.

If you and your guys are impressed with Bush's bravery, so be it.

See, there's this little bravery thing:

[/img]
AZ3
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the bit about him volunteering to turn down his return to stateside after four months?

Could it be that he felt he had dressed up his resume, emulated JFK enough and he could now move on to the next step, establishing himself as an anti-war activist....something far more productive at that point in time?
Keith
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

publius wrote:

See, there's this little bravery thing:

Here's another view from an article in the Boston Globe that was actually, for the most part, quite positive for Kerry.. except a few points:

http://www.boston.com/globe/nation/packages/kerry/061603.shtml

Quote:
Kerry initially hoped to continue his service at a relatively safe distance from most fighting, securing an assignment as "swift boat" skipper. While the 50-foot swift boats cruised the Vietnamese coast a little closer to the action than the Gridley had come, they were still considered relatively safe.

"I didn't really want to get involved in the war," Kerry said in a little-noticed contribution to a book of Vietnam reminiscences published in 1986. "When I signed up for the swift boats, they had very little to do with the war. They were engaged in coastal patrolling and that's what I thought I was going to be doing."

But two weeks after he arrived in Vietnam, the swift boat mission changed -- and Kerry went from having one of the safest assignments in the escalating conflict to one of the most dangerous.

Along with Kerry's unquestionable and repeated bravery, he also took an action that has received far less notice: He requested and was granted a transfer out of Vietnam six months before his combat tour was slated to end on the grounds that he had earned three Purple Hearts. None of his wounds was disabling; he said one cost him two days of service and the other two did not lead to any absence.

Lot's of interesting stuff there for Kerry supporters too.. but you can check that out yourself Smile

Keith
Armorer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has the space shuttle got to do with any of this? So Kerry volunteered... then what did he do? How long was his brave tour of duty? What was the nature of his redeployment home? How about his actions afterwords? It makes you wonder about his motivations. You know, Hitler volunteered too, that doesn't mean he's not a war criminal. And the quote in your signature block is a load of crap. Having fear does not make one inferior, succumbing to that fear does. The bravest people in the world are those who did what they had to do despite the fear. And as for your sources, so nicely cut and pasted from some DNC page, I'm curious to see the rest of the form you claim is the President's. There's not even a name on it. What is the nature of this form? What's it for? Where's all the very authentic looking "official record" stamps? You want to know why two of us "nit picked" your assertion the President was 20? Because your loose grip on the facts and questionable use of sources is indicative of the quality of your research and therefore your argument. See, there's this little legitimacy thing...
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Keith, those strike me as fair comments.
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retracted

Last edited by hist/student on Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
publius
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armorer wrote:
What has the space shuttle got to do with any of this? So Kerry volunteered... then what did he do? How long was his brave tour of duty? What was the nature of his redeployment home? How about his actions afterwords? It makes you wonder about his motivations. You know, Hitler volunteered too, that doesn't mean he's not a war criminal. And the quote in your signature block is a load of crap. Having fear does not make one inferior, succumbing to that fear does. The bravest people in the world are those who did what they had to do despite the fear. And as for your sources, so nicely cut and pasted from some DNC page, I'm curious to see the rest of the form you claim is the President's. There's not even a name on it. What is the nature of this form? What's it for? Where's all the very authentic looking "official record" stamps? You want to know why two of us "nit picked" your assertion the President was 20? Because your loose grip on the facts and questionable use of sources is indicative of the quality of your research and therefore your argument. See, there's this little legitimacy thing...

Armorer, you are the guy that brought up the fact that Bush was doing this brave thing by flying obsolete jets to protect Texas from the Viet Cong. I merely tried to point out that lots of fellas would have loved the chance to fly fighters around the sky at government expense and they wouldn't have considered it a bravery thing. There are always oodles more candidates fot flight school than there are slots. Maybe all those pilot wannabes are just really brave guys. I have a buddy I see three times a week whose whole Air Force career was flying fighters. He says nobody gave a damn about the danger and flying fast planes on Uncle Sam's nickel was great fun. Now if you have some personal anecdote where a friend says it took great personal bravery for young men to get into their air national guard jets then I'll believe you.

I don't know about you but I did a lot of stuff in my twenties I don't do any more because it ain't safe. I did a lot of mountain climbing. It was not a bravery thing it was a fun and exciting thing. It was sure as hell dangerous.

As for the documents, I don't know for sure that they are real, but I'll make you a bet they are. They sure aren't from the RNC and they aren't from the DNC. They are from some guy's anti-Bush website that you can find by right-clicking and checking the properties of the image. If it would make any difference to you, drop him a note and ask him to prove the provenance of the docs. I'll bet you a beer here and now that they are real. I'll also bet a beer you don't care if they are but you would sure care if they weren't.

As for the 20 year-old stuff, you have stated your reasons for making a point and I am delighted to just let them stand unremarked for anyone who cares to to see your thinking on that point.

Have you not figure out that Kerry is neither god nor devil? I have. Have you not figured out that Bush is neither god nor devil? I have.

Pushing criticisms too far is laughable and ineffective and my side does it. So does yours. Same with plaudits. Either guy would get the republic through another four years and both would get some things wrong and some right. I happen to think Kerry beats Bush by a lot but he's neither all right nor is Bush all wrong. (Close though.)

Now it's Friday night so let's get off these machines and go hang with the people we love. Tell them you met a new liberal today and for a ***** he's not completely 100.00% bad. I'll do the same for conservatives. So don't let me down.
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, uh, Publius... care to show us Bill Clinton's request for Vietnam duty?

Can't do that.... can you?

And you know damned well that for the vast majority of Kerry-bots, Clinton's cowardice made absolutely NO difference.

So tell me... in the face of that fact... what difference does Kerry's service make? What difference does it make whether Bush requested overseas duty or not?

The bigger question is this: why is Kerry doing so badly among veterans? But I really would like an answer to the questions above.

You see, making a big deal out of Kerry's service while ignoring Bill Clinton's cowardice as he was elected President makes democrats the Party of Hypocrisy. You know it... and I know it.
BrianC
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you and your guys are impressed with Bush's bravery, so be it.

Wow, does that ever miss the point.

The question posed was, I believe, a sincere one - it asked why Veterans are so angry at Kerry.

What this rigamarole has to do with person X and their bravery is just adding a smokescreen.

Veterans are angry with Kerry for his actions and statements that effectively gave cause to the NVA for keeping the war going.
I note that no one has bothered to comment on the bit I included about the statement made by General Giap. Gee, I wonder why that is...?
hist/student
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retracted

Last edited by hist/student on Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where is the bit about him volunteering to turn down his return to stateside after four months?

Let us not forget, he couldn't turn down what he was so fast to request. The Navy didn't automatically decide to curtail his tour, Kerry requested it, citing some distant hardly known or used regulation.

Any other Navy guys know of anyone else who was sent back after 3 Purple Hearts?
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

publius wrote:
There are always oodles more candidates fot flight school than there are slots.

Always, huh?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Publius should have spent some time in military flight slots and found out firsthand. Maybe he doesn't realize there are some extremely stringent requirements to even qualify for flight training. Out of those that qualify, many don't make the grade.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

publius wrote:
Except that is, for flying jets or doing anything else where real hair was required - southeast asia. You just have to live with the fact that your guy had so much guts he said he didn't want to get outta those dangerous Texas skies.

I guess you don't read much.

The President and three others volunteered to go to Vietnam - the two junior men right out of flight school were turned down and the two senior, with more flight experience were sent to Vietnam.

http://www.nationalreview.com/babbin/babbin200402190855.asp
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: